What should we make next?

AlephObjects really has unique potential to head towards the “industrial fabrication” market. Their best-in-class 3D printers already demonstrate excellent engineering choices. As well, they have a strong R&D track record. However, since the basic technology is still the same, the training threshold really should not be much higher.

Much integration work has already been done by the community to allow users to control their machine and slice g-code with a variety of engines, all from one interface. Going a bit further, CNC milling/lasing toolpath generators could be included as well. In fact, laser cutters commonly present themselves as USB/network printers, which could be provided by CUPS support. Newbies would be able to slice acrylic routinely as printing photos. Throwing in a RaspberryPi to ship a tightly integrated, maintainable platform, would be well worthwhile.

Most importantly, the community itself is already providing the education. Here, on the forums, many questions have been given detailed answers. At hackerspaces worldwide, the public is getting hands-on traning and encouragement. Catering to what people will do is much better than what people are doing now.

Speaking for myself, Slic3r is nicer. Cura does not handle multi-extrusion situations well at all. Fast visualization of support material is also a crucial feature.

I was thinking the same when I read that. I think Slic3r needs some debugging and a more “funky” user interface to be accepted by newcommers, but the features of it’s engine are way beyond Cura. I don’t know why, but Slic3r is a one man show until now. If I could, I would invest in Slic3r…

+1
Try the latest source code for Slic3r from GitHub for fewer bugs though. At the very least, they seem to have fixed the numbers duplicating in all fields when configuring multiple extruders.

I’m working on that, I’m just behind. whatever I come up with wil be open source so that one is pretty much garunteed to be available here shortly.

Very cool. I’m looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Hopefully mini users can play too. :mrgreen:

cnc mill attachment would be cool as would a filament recycler.

make directions for modifying lulzbot mini to put damper on every stepper motor so it is much more quiet

A more comprehensive integrated electronics platform might be nice. Such things as adding a USB host connector to power RasPi’s, integrated logic supply battery backup (excluding heated bed), mounting holes for standard 40mm heatsinks on the stepper drivers, XT60 power connectors on the PCB itself (maybe as optional unpopulated footprints), and perhaps even an 80-conductor IDE connector to support breakout boards.

Have you tried autodesk 123d design? I tried so many different programs, and was not impressed, so about 6 months ago I downloaded a free copy of 123d design, and now I can model any complex designs in minutes, with ease. I love this program, and they updated out with many new features.

I second this! I despise thingiverse, and makerbot. I would use and contribute so much to a lulzland!

Yes. I believe i had to upgrade my graphics card to try it (not a big deal). It’s not half bad, but there were a few things i could not figure out how to do that should have been simple. I may try it again at some point. But the bigger issue with 123D is that while it is free (don’t believe it is open source) is that it is for the Windows and Mac operating systems ONLY. Since i am a Linux user this is the same problem with Solidworks and nearly all other major CAD software available. Having said that i find it potentially more usable than tinkercad which is a web-based software also from Autodesk which i found no use for.

I haven’t had a chance to try Autodesk Inventor, which also now has a free download option. And is probably the best alternative to Solidworks from what I’ve heard. But again i believe it is a Windows or Mac download only. I may give it a try anyway at some point just to see how it performs though.

I have also even tried the new free web-based CAD package OnShape (https://www.onshape.com/) which is interestingly created by the original solidworks team. But sadly i found it to be less usable than 123D Design despite it being operating system neutral. And contrary to what other people might like i really don’t like cloud based CAD software. I prefer to have a downloadable program, it’s just easier to me and fits my tastes and freedoms.

1. enclosure with a charcoal filtered exhaust system to avoid breathing fumes

2. Factory upgrade kits for the Taz 4 to 6 - at the very least wiring harness converters between old and new extruders.

3. Ultra-high resolution extruder

4. Taz that moves the x and y axis, but not the Z (for tall, thin prints)

#1 is of particular interest given the studies posted on the home page. Trying to source filters to block UFP and VOC compounds yourself is challenging at best.

Personally, I would enjoy a 3D printer with larger bed dimensions than TAZ, with the autoleveling/self cleaning features of the mini. I love your mini product, but am afraid of having to slow down. Big efficiency seeker when it comes to making parts and want to make a smart investment with my next printer while at the same time getting a lot of use out of it as my parts become larger and complex for my projects. Been loving the software and hardare by the way! Had little to no problems with it once I get the filaments going.

I would buy a Taz 6 style printer with a 16 x 16 inch, or larger, bed in a heartbeat. The new printers really need to move away from the loose IGUS bearings as well. Hint- OPENRAIL!! :smiley:

In order of importance:

1. Roctopus terrariums
  2. Invisibility cloaks
  3. Leprechaun traps
  4. Anti gravity boots
  5. Faster than light spacecraft

On perhaps a somewhat more realistic note, I’d say take a look at the Printrbot lineup as an example. I’m not sure what they are feeding their R&D people because a 3D printer company that retails skateboards and tank robots is a unique winner in my book. Why? Because they’ve got a main line of four models ranging from youth kid’s printer up to full custom expert’s printer, and then they go exploring niche markets as well.

So in the Printrbot model we see that they are gobbling up market share in all of it’s various fragmented pieces. I’d like to see Aleph do the same thing but with completely different products of course. Maybe a concrete printer that builds houses? Also I had in mind to research a potential printing technology that isn’t out there yet and may not be practical or may be fantastic. It works like this:

You make a clear tank filled with that laser-curable liquid that is in printers like FormLabs, where it is necessary for the ink to be dyed to terminate and absorb the laser energy at the top surface of the tank. OK, but what you do differently is you lightly color the liquid so that one properly tuned laser will pass thru it, not solidifying anything, and then you shoot in two such lasers and in the voxel where they meet you get a solidified voxel. Then you scan the lasers to get your object. Might maybe work, and is worth an expert’s consultation I suppose. I asked the guy at the store that sells the liquid and he said it won’t work but maybe it will? I dunno.

Just some random thoughts, for what it’s worth (not much likely).

Les

Perhaps invest R&D into a high resolution resin printer.

http://hackaday.com/2015/09/29/autodesk-open-sources-ember-3d-printer/

For my money, I’d like to see the TAZ 6 with an integrated Raspberry Pi-3 (wifi & bluetooth) with an external USB for webcam and Octopi bundled with it… oh and auto bed leveling, and auto nozzle wiping of course. Maybe even integrated Pi-3 package in a Mini-2. Many folks add these on externally anyway. Built in would be an attractive addition.

I’ll play.

For my business the most critical would be a 24" by 24" bed. The z height can stay where it is, or be taller. Ideally with self-leveling and out of filament sensors.

I personally would like a machine that could print, etch, cut vinyl, and machine PCBs.

@gghouck
Do my TazMega and TazStiff projects interest you?