Today we’ve got some exciting news for you all as we announce the official start of the beta testing period for Cura LulzBot Edition version 4.13.0 v1.5!
Cura LulzBot Edition 4.13 represents the next big step in our development of Cura LE and a marked improvement over our current version. It’s been a long time coming and we’re very excited to get it out into your hands, however it still needs a bit of polish before it’s ready for a full release. That’s where the beta test comes in to play!
With public testing and feedback from our community, the final stage of development should move along briskly as issues and bugs that may have gone unnoticed are brought to light and resolved. We encourage you to give it a try and provide your helpful feedback!
Cool, my production machines are currently engaged in, well, production, but my home Taz 6 and work Mini 2 are fairly open for doing some tests.
So, initial feedback - Mini 2 w/ H175 toolhead has no startup GCODE.
Second thing, and this definitely affects how I use Cura right now - I can’t set the COM port for machines like 3.6.x could. I have a Mini 2, Pro, and Taz 6 attached to a single machine (SD cards are not current approved in my work environment).
Third, and I’m sure this will change, but the compatible materials is miniscule:
The materials were limited on Mini w/M175v2 as well, haven’t been checking other machines yet, but profiles are definitely something that needs good validation, and there’s enough to get beta testing stuff anyway, so it’s rather expected for playing with the beta.
I do know that 1.75mm tool heads currently have fewer profiles in general than their 2.85mm counterparts, but I do think a couple may be missing. I’ll get a spreadsheet going here to ensure that everything we do have is being displayed in the application correctly.
Found another thing I instantly miss - no connect to OctoPrint.
Also, did the Rocktopus test print. No issues except some minor stringing, probably from older filament. This was on a Taz 6. Toolhead was a self-printed and assembled (from parts sourced from an Aerostruder HE) itworks-3d Titan Aero toolhead with a HE .5mm nozzle. Matterhackers Pro PLA with the Standard quality profile with the Protopasta High-Temperature PLA material profile.
For anyone who may have missed it, we’re now up to BETAv1.2 which should fix the common crashes we’d run into and we’ve also got a Linux AppImage to play with. Let us know if anything goes wrong with the AppImage, we’re a bit interested to see how well that works.