šŸ“¢ Cura LulzBot Edition 4.13 v2.4 Beta Testing - Now with more MAC in every download!

It was missed, I guess the check for updates on startup isnā€™t working either.

The ā€œStandardā€ profile (not high-speed or high detail) has absolute values at a very high temp!

Compared to:

This version is based on the final release of Ultimaker Cura 4.13, yes. We do not envision this as the end of the road, however.

The path to version 5 from 4 will be much faster then the path from 3 to 4. Do you have specific features that you would be interested in that only version 5 has?

No specific features come to mind. My ideal would be the merging of CuraLE and Ultimaker Cura (with Ultimaker Cura picking up the unique features of CuraLE). Both development teams working on the same project would make for a stronger version of Cura, IMO.

2 Likes

I hear you! We do have this pull request open.

Who is responsible for fixing the issues with that pull request?

Technically anyone could as its an open-source contribution. Until recently there was not a lot of movement to get it through their CI checks. But, ultimately we have this on our to-do list so we will be syncing up the PR branch as requested.

Hi, just trie the beta this morning and all went well. However, I cannot find a button to extrude or retract filament manually, which I always use when changing filaments? In the previous version this was where you could also steer the extruder to home or left right up down. You could input the amount and extrude or retract filament. I am working with an Lulzbot Mini 1 with aerostruder head.

Thanks for giving it a try! The extrude/retract buttons are definitely missing, they should be added pretty soon. A lot of the USB printing stuff we had in 3.6 was absent upstream so itā€™s having to be redone, unfortunately.

The primary feature from Cura 5 that I want to see is the new slicer engine with the adaptive line width. YouTube is telling me that I can get almost 0.4-like detail with a 0.6 nozzle.

Thanks for the appimage support! Iā€™ve tried this out on Arch Linux and it started up ok, but the lack of octoprint means I canā€™t use it. Iā€™m looking forward to when thatā€™s available!

Another note: the dark theme made some text unreadable, machine settings for example.

As an outsider, Iā€™d expect it would be more effective to try and get LulzBot printers upstream or if you canā€™t get merged, create an extension to integrate with Cura 5 instead of a lulzbot fork but honestly, Iā€™ve not got a lot of experience here and have only made a few weak attempts at building a plugin myself.

It looks like the Cura team is playing ball! They would like to merge the changes into 5.4. Anyone else feeling like itā€™s party worthy?

1 Like

Iā€™ll keep my fingers crossed, it would be great!

So two questions:

1. Any plans for an ARM based Linux installer (e.g. Raspberry Pi)?

2. Will the MacOS version be a universal binary (aka M1 native) when itā€™s published?

Currently am getting a connection error with a Taz Pro dual aerostruder - tried reinstalling several times,deleted the programdata, & appdata/lulzbot & appdata/cura folders. Also the appdata/ultimaker forums.

Regardless, the error persists. It initially DOES connect for about a second shortly after hitting the connect button, and I can see that the temperatures for the hotend & the fan speed are momentarily shown on the right side of the monitoring tab in cura, and the temperatures are correct & accurately line up with the temperature in the room so it is real-time data. However, this successful connection is only momentary & only lasts for about 1.5-2 seconds at most before disconnecting & throwing an error stating that the printer does not match what is configured in curaā€™s printer settings. I confirmed and verified even by comparing the printer selected in cura with what is shown on the initial inspection & setup sheet sent to us from the factory as a Taz Pro with dual aerostruders & it does not stay connected.

Beyond that, I have tried also the variations of the taz pro available to choose from in cura, i.e. even the single extrusion submodels of the taz pro & they all end up producing the same exact error and the same exact results where there is momentary success & then disconnection for God knows what reason - it certainly is not an accurate description of the error because it DOES connect successfully initially, just will not stay connected before kicking the usb connection off.

This is with the latest cura 4.13 beta, windows 10, ran cura as administrator both during install & when operating after initially attempting to just launch it without the administrator permissions, which also failed.

Hello!

This is currently a known issue with some of our printer models. The current workaround is to go into your preferences menu and under general settings there should be an option titled ā€œAllow connections to wrong printersā€. Checking this box should circumvent the error youā€™re encountering.

The error is meant to prevent the accidental printing of a slice for a TAZ Pro on something like a Mini 2, for example, but at the moment there are some known false positives that currently trigger it. This should be fixed in one of our upcoming builds.

Hope this helps!

Finally playing around with my Pro Dual, (4.13 beta V1.1) and noticed that the material temperatures for wipe and soften are not being parsed into the GCODE.

Resulting startup GCODE ends up reading:
M140 S55 ; begin bed temping up
M104 S{material_soften_temperature_0} T0 ; soften filament
M104 S{material_soften_temperature_1} T1 ; soften filament
G28 ; home
M117 Heatingā€¦ ; LCD status message
M109 R{material_soften_temperature_0} T0 ; wait for temp
M109 R{material_soften_temperature_1} T1 ; wait for temp
T0 ; select this extruder first
M82 ; set extruder to absolute mode
G92 E0 ; set extruder to zero
G1 E-10 F100 ; retract 10mm of filament on first extruder
G0 X50 F1000 ; move over to switch extruders
T1 ; switch extruders
M82 ; set extruder to absolute mode
G92 E0 ; set extruder to zero
G1 E-10 F100 ; retract 10mm of filament on second extruder
M104 S{material_wipe_temperature_0} T0 ; set to wipe temp
M104 S{material_wipe_temperature_1} T1 ; set to wipe temp
M106 ; turn on fans to speed cooling
T0 ; select first extruder for probing
G1 X-16.5 Y100 F2000 ; move above wiper pad
M117 Coolingā€¦ ; LCD status message
M109 R{material_wipe_temperature_0} T0 ; wait for T0 to reach temp
M109 R{material_wipe_temperature_1} T1 ; wait for T1 to reach temp

Good catch, Iā€™m actually really surprised this one hadnā€™t been noted yetā€¦

Itā€™s those pesky _1 and _0ā€™s

Iā€™d have tested it earlier, but since I canā€™t manually assign the COM port, I never got around to testing until I was playing around with using Pronterface to send code.

Just wanted to add, it appears that every value I see from a variable that ends with _0 or _1 all are missing in GCODE.

I am curiousā€¦ what is the point of creating Cura LE 4.xx?

Many people have downloaded Ultimaker Cura5 and have been using it successfully. Why continue to have two forks???