DIY FlexyStruder

Hey everybody, this is our first post here but we’ve been happy Lulzbot customers for over a year now. We don’t own a Taz though, our first printer was a Prusa i3 and we recently built a P3Steel. Both are running the Budaschnozzle 2.0c, we like it a lot.

We’ve been experimenting with a bunch of different materials and recently we got some flexible filaments. We were going to buy the FlexyStruder toolhead for that, but it was out of stock at the time. Since the designs are Open Source and we already had most of the parts, we thought: let’s build our own. So we did and it works really well, great design! Very good build instructions too. We did a write-up and some pictures on our blog. Thanks Lulzbot!

That looks great! How quickly are you dipping the parts? The gears still look rather crisp.

Thanks!

We’re not actually dipping the parts directly in acetone. Instead, we make acetone vapor in a jar and put the prints in there, on a little rack so they don’t touch the liquid acetone. As soon as we do this, the vapor will start to condense on the prints. When the prints start to ‘sweat’ (usually in 10-20 seconds, depending on the size of the piece) we take them out. After letting them dry for about 15 minutes they can be touched without leaving finger marks, but they’re still bit soft. We usually let printer parts rest for a night until we start putting any kind of mechanical stress on them. At that point they are strong enough to be drilled and we even hammered smooth rods into X-gantry ends without problems.

You can find some info and pictures on how we do the vapor smooting here and here.

:smiley: Since the acetone vapor feels so dense, I freely use the term dipping. We almost had a tissue paper boat floating on the acetone vapor cloud the last time we played with it at the makerspace :stuck_out_tongue: