Fuzzy skin and texture

Does it add extra wear and tear to a lulzbot mini2 when enabling fuzzy skin? I am a sculptor and have recently discovered the experimental function in cura. The texture it gives the printed object resolves the “prototype” look of a normal printed piece. I’d like to continue using it but don’t want to damage the machine in the process. (Also, is it advised to level the axis for each print?)

Thank you

If wear and tear is measured by the total number of GCode commands executed over a long time period, then fuzzy skin has more. For a 10mm cube without fuzzy skin: 2,182 lines; with fuzzy skin: 4,063 lines. I would expect real-world objects would show less of a difference. You could compare an object sliced with and without fuzzy skin and see for yourself. I don’t think the wear and tear difference is going to matter much.

The Mini 2 has auto leveling and unless you do something special, the GCode produced for each print is going to include auto leveling (which measures the level). If the first layer has problems, you might want to level the axis but I don’t believe it is mandatory before each print.

I always watch the first layer print. A very high percentage of failed prints can be traced back to first layer problems so if I like the first layer, then I feel good about letting the print run to completion.

Fantastic answers! Thank you