linux kernel module

Just to save others the time it took me to find an appropriate kernel module to communicate with the TAZ4, it’s the “cdc-acm” module, located under “Device Drivers->USB Support->USB Modem (CDC ACM) Support” in your kernel tree. Compile it, install it, modprobe it, then plug in the printer and you will see an appropriate device node pop up under /dev/ (which pronterface will detect as well). I would have hoped to have seen this documented somewhere :frowning:.

Important information to have when you run a version of linux with a kernel that only has specifically what you tell it to have rather than everything under the sun (Gentoo).

:smiley:

While Debian/Ubuntu (Arch, Fedora, etc as well probably) don’t need to do anything like that, some distros do require more work.

We were wondering what would be needed for some of the more fun distros. Did you have do do anything else? If you’d like to write out the steps you had to take for Gentoo we’ll be happy to add that to the instructions. While we aim to have instructions for all the potential use cases, if we don’t have it or use it, it makes it a bit difficult.

Thanks!

Wow, sorry I missed this way back when… To answer your question, no, nothing further was needed. Just what I described in the original post - configure your kernel, enable the options as described, install the modules, and you’re set to go. This should apply to anything using the same board (TAZ 4-6, surely… possibly earlier versions as well).

You’re correct that Debian/Ubuntu should not need to worry about this, but distros that have the user roll their own kernel will need this information.

Specifically, under gentoo, go to your kernel sources directory, type (as root) “make menuconfig”, go to “Device Drivers->USB Support->USB Modem (CDC ACM) Support”, enable it however you like (as a kernel module if you want to use it without rebooting, or built-in if you just don’t like modules… but you’ll have to reboot using the newly compiled kernel).

Then run “make” and “make modules_install” and you’re good to go. If you built it into the kernel instead of as a module, you don’t need to run “make modules_install”, but you will need to copy the newly compiled kernel to your bootloader (grub, EFI stub, or whatever you use) and reboot using the new kernel.