Installed my new all metal tool head today (purchased from Lulzbot). Install was fairly straight forward though I wish they had included a clear drawing of the large plug to show where pins 5 & 6 were. The plugs don’t have those numbers on them since they are in the center and there is no room but I figured it out.
After getting it installed and uploading the new firmware (required) I went through calibration but I was having a bit of an issue as my measurements kept coming up different, I finally figured out that for some reason I needed to tighten the idle roller down much tighter than I use to on the older one (filament kept slipping, maybe it has a higher pressure build up). Anyway got that done.
Calibrated the Z axis and I was ready to print. First test print was perfect.
Now for the whole reason I bought the new tool head : All metal hot end. I always had layer adhesion issues with ABS. I always felt it was due to the limit of 240c on the Budaschnozzle. So after making sure everything was calibrated I designed a small part with thin (1.5mm) parts sticking up (think fingers on Gopro mounts). I had always been able to easily break these fingers by squeezing them together in my fingers, you could then look at the break and see white where the break was strongest and the material color where it was week and these GoPro like fingers were normally about half white when broken meaning that there was half of the material that was not fully joined.
Well I printed the small test part at 260c to see how it would compare, now the fingers are actually a little narrower than the GoPro mounts (to give a worst scenario test) well, it was hard to break when I squeezed it and the entire broken surface was bright white meant it was as strong as it could be and it had a full bond.
I believe that this will also help with tall thin items from cracking as they go up (like many boxes I printed in the past with ABS). It may not prevent warping but I do have a build chamber for this.
Conclusion: Even though I had hoped I could use flexible material with this (you can’t) new tool head, I am very glad so far that I have it and I plan to delve into more filaments that are better suited to higher temps.