Should I get Simplify 3D??

I more or less understand all that, i will give it a try when I get home. Thanks though.

I have a makergear printer too and use s3d and on that forum they all share printer profiles, was just wondering if someone here had figured it out more or less and would share.

There were a number of config files posted, might have been in the Mini forum. You didn’t say which machine you have, so sharing a profile is more complicated.

sorry, its a taz6

Just looked at your original message with your issues… Export and post your FFF. We can take a look and make suggestions.

Regarding sparse extrusion, check that you’re using 3mm filament vs. 1.75mm. If using 1.75, make sure to make the change in the “Others” tab. Check you multiplier also… 94 - 100% should produce good prints, but this value will affect dimensional accuracy of the print.

Honestly I used Simplify3D a little and have found it to print more sloppily than Cura. It seemed like S3D was moving way faster than Cura even though the speed settings were the same and Cura, because it moves slowly and takes its time more to choose paths wisely, it seems to do a better job.

Problem is that it takes longer to print with Cura I guess but i’d rather deal with that, than a failed print.

The only big thing about S3D that I liked is how easily the supports break away.

Can someone tell me if there is ANY way in Cura to set the supports to be easily broken away and not leave a mess behind the way S3D does? If there is, I would see no reason to use S3d.

The vertical and horizontal spacing of the supports is the key to easy removal… try .3mm. S3D has other nice features like sparse and dense support layers…

The other trick to S3D, is to understand the speed settings. I regularly print at 5400mm/s (.5 nozzle, layer height .3) with infill underspeed of 100% and support structure underspeed of 110%. The key is to ensure the perimeter underspeed at ~2000, so I use 40%. An even slower perimeter print speed produces even better results.

Lastly, if the version of Marlin firmware lacks LIN, use a .2mm coast. This relieves pressure and creates a smoother transition to the next layer.

I’m a fan of S3D, I’d recommend it to anyone… with caveat that it requires patience to understand the settings. When I switched on my other printer, it was night and day. I continued to use S3D after purchasing the TAZ 5. I’ve never printed anything other than calibration prints with Cura… and nothing with Sli3r.

Most of the stuff you said is over my head. That’s the issue with S3d, it isn’t for printer newbs like me. Too much overwhelming custom settings and not enough predetermined profiles that work. When I select the Ngen profile in cura, all I have to do is go in and set my layer height and infill and its good. Sure there are some more advanced settings but S3d just seems to focus on advanced settings completely and not cater to new users as much.

Maybe down the road I’ll be more experienced with settings and it will make more since.

BTW, 5400mm per second must have been a typo… Thats way faster than any printer should be moving right now I think.

Yeah. It was a mis-type, my eyes are failing me in old age. It should be 5400mm/min…

As for the rest… well I guess you hit the nail on the head. It was meant to help those who were trying to tweak their S3D profiles. The only applicable tip for Cura is probably the horizontal and vertical distance for supports. Sorry for any confusion…

Last tip, if you hover over the setting you’ll get a tooltip explanation.