Show off your Printer and Printing station!

Hello ladies/gents… I’m a proud new Mini owner/lover!!!
I’m very green to 3D modeling/printing… But hope to learn as much as I can :nerd:

This isn’t it’s permanent home, but I do plan to move it to a detached garage that is almost always closed. Right now it’s kind of exposed to outside elements from my attached garage(humidity…dust…etc.).

In which I have a small BRIX Windows machine that I will use for a “print server” by remoting into and sending models over.
I plan to control the power through a ZWave outlet, and I already have a camera setup there so that I can watch my prints for errors and/or see when they are done.

I also added some LED lights for nighttime printing :wink:

Anyhoo… Just saying hello… many questions soon to follow :stuck_out_tongue:

Very nice, what led lights did you use? I just got a mini also

Here is my all Aluminum custom Taz printer.

Good afternoon all! I’m Jeff, and I’m still fairly new to the community. I’m the proud owner of a TAZ 5. I’ve been working on my printer cabinet for close to 8 weeks now, and it’s finally to a point where I can post some pictures. Every single piece in this entire cabinet that is plastic was printed on my TAZ. I actually got an e-mail from the power company saying that my electric bill was “unusually high”… LOL.

I would like to thank the folks at Aleph Objects for making an awesome machine, especially Ray over at tech support. He’s helped me out immensely with some PLA issues.

I’d also like to thank mhackney for his amazing guides - A Strategy for Obtaining Great Prints & Strategies for Resolving Print Artifacts. Without these, I wouldn’t have had a clue where to begin. Thank You!!

This is the full cabinet for my TAZ 5:

The cabinet is designed with 1" black anodized 80/20 extrusion to match the TAZ. I ended up going with 1/4" glass on all sides for durability and heat retention / temperature stabilization. The upper chamber contains the TAZ 5 and the custom filament feed components.

Here’s a close-up of the upper chamber:

The lower chamber is where I keep all of my filament - up to 8 different rolls, pre-fed into the filament retainer behind the printer. I didn’t want to deal with climbing in and feeding new filament all the time.

This is a picture of the filament feed rack. I’ve only got one fed through right now…

And here’s a close-up of the locking plate that holds the unused filament lines from dropping back down below:

And finally, here’s a close-up of my modified extruder assembly. This includes the TAZ 5 80mm Fan Shroud.

I did use 2 info sources outside of our forums here that I found seriously helpful. As a person with very little knowledge in printing, sometimes pictures are way easier to understand. These 2 pages have kind of a problem solving by picture example format.

A visual (bad U word here) troubleshooting guide

and

Getting better prints

Posting printer and printer station in a printer and printer station bread

Here’s another, more recent station I used for a short production run.

This past weekend, I made an enclosure for my TAZ 4 and moved it to my garage so I can use it more. The enclosure seems to make a huge difference to print quality so far.

The enclosure is very basic, costing < $100, and my woodworking skills aren’t the best … but hey, it works! For more information see http://theotherandygrove.com/enclosure-for-taz-4-3d-printer/.

Here is my setup.

Enclosure (already made a post on that). has FlashForge Creator Pro and the Taz 5. Makerfarm Prusa i3v on the table.

This is my printer heavily modded. You can find the modded files in thingiverse.com.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1136235

Edit 11/20/2015 added more photos

Neat! What do the big filliment and hotend buttons do?

That extruder mount looks amazing with the copper tubes. What are you using to supply airflow?

Those are blower fans for the filament and hot end. I labeled them so I know which is which. There are more picture on Thingiverse.com. Please click the link on the original post.

Oh wow, ok, you have pneumatic tubes running from the blowers out to the hotend. Interesting solution!

We had our printer next to our computer, but after figuring it out how to network the printer without using Raspberry Pi and Octoprint we moved it to a different room and can now print over network.

Amazing kendawg, I thought I was the only one taking the blower-fan approach. Take a look at my ExtrusionPack (https://forum.lulzbot.com/t/extrusionpack-all-metal-openbuilds-quad-extruder-platform/2463/1), which uses similar mechanisms.

Just got everything settled out and the Mini up and running in the new space. Had to wire in some receptacles in the room as well. Gave each printer dedicated 20amp lines.

This is my temp setup down in the shed room, I’m about to move hence why it’s temp. I want to build a perspex enclosure around it so I can vent the nasty ABS fumes. I print from an old laptop with webcam and control via teamviewer. I thought about making it web enabled but honestly why not just use a laptop? I have no other use for it anyway…

3D print workstation, Taz 5 with custom 26" cube enclosure…

View from the wireless remote PTZ IP camera…

As built (uninsulated and leaky), the enclosure interior temps stabilize out in the low 90’s. It’s enough to improve my ABS print quality significantly.

Here’s the latest picture of my Taz:

It has a few minor modifications…

Here’s my attic.

I need to invest in one or two enclosures as it’s really cold up there most of the time.
End up running a fan heater to warm up the room for a while before printing or I got massive warping issues.

Those foam floor mats piled up under the printers really help dampen the sound.