Swivelling bolt/bearings?

I’m making something that requires clamping two components tight together (to remove any play/wobble) which also need to rotate to fold down. I thought about clamping them together using a bearing with a threaded rod (m6 or m8 sort of size) on one end such as you find in castor wheels with a spring loaded lock pin to hold it in certain positions, but I cannot for the life of me find a bolt attached to a bearing or anything remotely similar to what I’m looking for. I know something will be out there but what it’s called is anyones guess.

The only similar solution I can think of is sticking a bolt through from one side, through a bearing such as the one pictured below in the next component with a nut tightening down on to the face on the other side of the bearing, if that would work?

I know there are more simple and conventional ways of doing it such as just using a normal bolt and loosening it off but ease/speed of use and cosmetic appeal will be impacted by having handles or wingnuts sticking out the top, which is what I’m striving for.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I have not realy an idea what it should be, but as long as your axial forces are low it should be no problem to use bearing like 608…

Until I’ve made it I don’t really know what force will be required to keep both components still but at a guess I’d imagine it would probably be somewhere between 5 and 10 lbs/ft.

If you need compression as well as radial smoothing, you might be better off with a solid bushing there if you don’t need the benefits a bearing can provide. Mcmaster carr has a bunch of different ones along those lines.

For bearings themselves, they are sometimes heat set onto shafts. Usually you can’t use a sealed bearing for that (because of the whole flammable plastic / oil thing) but you just heat up the bearing to expand it, slide it down onto the shaft, then let it contract onto the shaft.

Fantastic! So simple yet I’d never have thought of that on my own. That will do exactly what I need I think.

You’re a wealth of knowledge Piercet, thanks!

You’re welcome!