Where did THAT come from?

So, I’ve had my TAZ 5 a couple months. Been feeding it a steady diet of black IC3D ABS (about 5kg so far). I’ve been fighting to get smooth parts, but this week things got a lot less consistent. Came in this morning to another failed part (extruder striped about 10 hours into a 12 hour part). Try as I might I could not get it to push plastic again… Three hours later I finally cleared the tip and found this:

With the tip hot I pulled it out with tweezers. Yes, it’s copper.

So… where the heck did that come from?

Leftover from nozzle manufacture? Filament contamination?

-Denny

There isn’t any copper in the Taz 5 nozzle or extrude body aside from the actual wires themselves. If it was crass it might be nozzle bore chips but since it is copper it has to be contamination from somewhere. Could have fallen in if someone was doing work over the print head I suppose. Would be weird contamination for filament too though.

Its probably brass from the machining of the nozzle. I’m guessing the heating and cooling will cause imperfections to flake off and the filament just helps “move” it off the walls of the nozzle. I’ve found flakes and a shard or two amongst my various nozzles… I consider it part of the experience. :slight_smile:

Why Lulzbot doesn’t recommend or provide proper instruction to remove the nozzle for cleaning is beyond me… its not difficult, and quite frankly clogs are inevitable…