Win a bq Ciclop 3D scanner, advance Free/Libre/Open scanning

EIC works with school students from Elementary thru College. We have Lulzbot printers in almost 6 of the 10 schools in our program and are planning on adding more very soon.

The scanner would be the perfect tool for EIC and the schools to more quickly develop skill sets in modification and alteration of complex objects. Furthermore, many of the students already use all the various modeling software programs and they could very quickly incorporate the scanned objects into these programs for advanced product development.

I believe our program is exactly what you are looking for to test the capabilities of the new Ciclop 3D Scanner. When young students get their hands on this technology the sky is the limit.

Finally, an affordable and functional open source 3D scanner! I’ve been watching this project waiting for the right time to hop on board.

I’m definitely interested in beta testing the Ciclop scanner. As you’ve seen by my research on the PEI print surface and my posts on a disciplined approach to getting great 3D prints, I have some “street cred” when it comes to testing and providing feedback! As a pot sweetener, I am very connected in the delta printer community too and will introduce them to this scanner too. I’m also a software guy and have been working on a next gen slicer and have contributed to the Smoothieware open source firmware as well as several other open source projects. And, I know STL and point clouds inside and out.

We are all waiting (impatiently) for a good scanner and I’ve been watching this one. Great to see you are going forward with it and would love to help with my feedback and involvement so please consider me!

Cheers,
Michael

Albertsons Library and Boise State University are new LulzBot users. However, after being awarded a Mini (Thanks!), and being extremely happy with its performance, we went ahead and bought a Taz 5, which we are equally happy with. There are 3D scanners available elsewhere on campus, but they are only available to students in specific majors. We believe 3D scanning is an important learning tool that all campus affiliates should have access to, and have had requests from students to get a 3D scanner, but have limited funds with which to do so.

Though we are new to the community, we can contribute very engaged staff, a student group (Creative Technologies Association), and the knowledge and enthusiasm of both. Faculty and staff on the library’s 3D printer team come from a variety of backgrounds, which means we each have a slightly different perspective and insight into how tools function, and how they can be built into our service model. Two faculty members of the library’s 3D printer team also serve as faculty advisors to the Creative Technologies Association student club. This club serves as a safe place for students to experiment with emerging technologies, and tap into a greater network for assistance when they get stuck. Being on a university campus also means we can have novice and expert users test and offer feedback in a short timeframe.

Albertsons Library would be delighted to help with the development of the Ciclop by facilitating this great learning opportunity for our community!

Albertsons Library 3D Printer Team
http://makerlab.boisestate.edu

Orias, do you have an idea when you are going to choose the recipients?
I’ve read the Horus Guide to Post-Processing of the Point Cloud. I’d love to get my hands on a couple of sample files to start to work with.

cheers,
Michael

How did I not see this post before today? :astonished:

I would love to be able to test and provide feedback for the Ciclop. Currently, I maintain tamarintech.com where you’ll find a few tutorials, news clips, a printing dictionary and our model-viewer polymer project. Future projects (currently unreleased - to be released as open source software) include converters for STL, OBJ and PLY files to multimaterial AMF, limited 3MF support and optimized protobufs for fast responsive interaction on the web. Our existing tools would help convert and showcase the Ciclop immediately as well as aid the development of future tools.

Also, you can find additional support and product advocacy that I’ve provided from Amazon to IRC for current LulzBot products.

I am associated with a “Innovation Garage” with my work. We have multiple engineers that contribute their time and enthusiasm. It would be great to have a Ciclop scanner to try, evaluate, debug, etc. Would have not only the benefit of 1 person, but multiple people trying and commenting on the same unit, connected to multiple, different computers.

Thank you,
Scotty-G

I’m also wondering how I missed this one: I saw the other Ciclop thread and followed up with both the UK reseller (3DPrint-World) and BQ themselves, but decided to hold off due to the potential issues of handling the importing issues myself (something of this value usually means needing to involve a broker and since my current job don’t involve import/export, I don’t have current contacts that would do this at a reasonable fee).

While not a professional user of 3D Printing, I am a avid hobbyist with a technical background, MacBookPro & MacBookAir in my home and a Lenova ThinkPad at work. I also have access to AutoDesk Revit at work so could report on compatibility and model development.

I do have experience with consumer reviews being a NewTrent reviewer.

Thanks for the consideration.

Chazz

We will conclude this contest on September 15th and will announce the lucky winner soon after!

One winner? They better be really good!

5 more days!

Horus doesn’t seem to support Fedora, but it was pretty easy to get the UI up and running:
yum install wxPython opencv opencv-python scipy python-matplotlib-wx
git clone https://github/bq/horus && cd horus && python src/horus.py

Depending on your Python version you may get an error about str vs unicode types. The only camera I had to try to test it with was a C920 and opencv wasn’t able to change the exposure.

Currently working on a project to help make model repository hosting more accessible is keeping me busy. So far, I’m able to reliably reduce a binary STL to about 20% of its original size (STLs are terribly inefficient), render it for a user to modify and then allow them to export a new STL. This should give content authors the ability to host their models on their own sites or on a CDN without worrying about 100M+ STLs eating up their bandwidth bill. :slight_smile:

There can be only one. The Lulzlander…?
Don’t worry - I can already hear you booing. :slight_smile:

They did say exceptional exceptions for exceptional people…
… that joke was pretty exceptional.

Hello,
I’m Mike Davies, a Technology Education teacher at Greenport UFSD in NY.

I have watched several reviews online and came up with a possible idea. A collaboration project. Currently Greenport UFSD and neighboring district share a few positions including a Superintendent. Which is very unique and rare on Long Island. I have 2 college friends who also hold positions as Technology teachers in the other district. (7 miles down the road)
Our neighboring district has a new video production lab that has been gaining popularity and interest over the past 2 years. With the popularity of the class and tapping into students social media skills we could launch a collaborative YouTube video. We could create an in depth review the 3details scanner. If possible.

The video could include:
Unboxing.
Setup and assembly of product.
Student reflection during the process. Display the work we produce with the devices. Being that the district is a smaller one (approximately 600 students 1 building k-12) we could run videos of various age levels using the device. I currently teach 6-12 grades. We have a traditional woodworking area, automotive, as well as computer/3d printing makerspace. Our Makerspace includes 14 high performance desktops, 3d modeling software, 4 makerbot minis, 1 5th gen replicator, 1- makerbot digitizer, 4 lulzbot minis, 4 watcom sketch pads. The space is brand new and launching this month. With over a year of tinkering in after school and drafting courses we were at the point to expand the program. Very pleased at all the features the lulzbot mini offers. Was truly surprised with the robustness of the machine. Met up with the lulzbot team at an inside 3d printing event in NYC and was impressed!

I like the fact I have 2 separate FDM platforms available for the students to experience. Both offering different software, functionality, options, and materials. Two totally different approaches in the same area but unique outcomes.

I am super ambitious and creative about education. This would motivate the students on a whole new level. Both districts would be benefiting and hopefully begin a trend within schools. From experience it’s tough to branch out and network for various reasons. This way of collaboration would be a new interactive example of partnership, learning, and creating!

Regards,
Mike Davies

The big day has arrived!

:wink:

Maybe too late but perhaps you could get more out into the hands of developers and testers by offering some at a discount (25-50% ish).

We were rather impressed by all the entries! Of them all, the standout winner was mhackney, due to the large amount of contributions to the forum. Please PM me for more information.