Workhorse+ review?

Unfortunately, you can’t actually search on a + symbol on google, which has made it impossible to find if anyone’s posted reviews of the new printer (note to self, never use a + symbol in a product name). All my searches return years-old review of the workhorse itself.

So asking here if anyone’s seen reviews of the new machines, and can please thread links to those here. I’m trying to decide if it’s worth upgrading from my Taz 6, and hearing other experience/reviews would help.

What are you looking to gain in an upgrade?

The dual-gear toolhead on the + is definitely an improvement, but unless your production needs require using a specific 2.85mm filament, I’d just drop a 1.75mm toolhead (M175v2, H175, or something else).

The octograb surface is very good as well. I’ve done the upgrade on the machines that I use for my job.

The filament sensor is just a basic runout sensor, you can build one yourself with a microswitch and some wire.

If I HAD to choose between the Workhorse and the Workhorse+, the + is definitely the one to get.

But as an owner of a Taz 6:
Get the octograb if you use ABS or other higher-temp materials regularly (whambam or other cheaper option if you only do PLA and ABS occasionally).
Buy a dual-gear toolhead to replace the Single Extruder if you’re still running that. M175v2, H175, or assemble one yourself for significantly less. The Meteor 285 is fine, but expensive. Swapping to an Orbiter on the Single Extruder is cheap and extremely effective.
The belted Z axis really doesn’t make a significant difference besides Z travel speed… which doesn’t improve overall print speed.
Build your own basic filament sensor for pennies.

1 Like

I print mostly ABS and HIPS, and have upgraded to the removable/flippable glass PEI surface, but not the octograb. Run the SE toolhead vs stock (occasionally will use the SL and a flexistruder). Have a huge stock of 2.85, so definitely sticking with that. I’ve had really bad luck changing filament in the middle of a print, so the runout sensor is more about stopping the machine than saving prints.

I’ve heard the belted Z improves the banding in prints, so that’s one reason I’m considering it. I’ve been told my printed solid enclosure will still work with it, so that’s an expense I would be able to skip.

The other big reason is that Lulzbot seems to be moving quickly away from supporting the 6 (after all, it was the last pre-acquisition model), and I’m concerned about future support in cura releases for it. They’ve already pulled a number of profiles that I rely on - I can replicate, but it’s a pain, and changing firmware everytime I change a toolhead is clunky.

No one thing, but just a whole bunch of upgrades - the workhorse wasn’t worth it, but now wondering if the plus pushes it over the threshold.

I run a Pro alongside a Taz 6. No noticeable difference in Z banding, so I wouldn’t make that a decision point.

ABS and HIPS both self-release extremely well from the PEI if you allow it to cool, so the magnetic surface wouldn’t help a ton.

If you’re running aerostruder with HIPS, you may be seeing filament stripping due to the hardness, so the meteor would be nice to have. ABS is generally perfectly fine with the single-gear extruder though.

It’s a narrow field, but I would say the workhorse+ is the best 2.85mm machine under $3,000. I don’t know what lulzbot is doing by charging only $45 more for it over the standard workhorse, the bed and toolhead are very significant upgrades.

But for how cheap you can get used Taz 6 machines? Pick up three of them, slap a different toolhead on each, get firmware and slicer software stable and don’t worry about swapping toolheads, firmware, or slicer software ever again. Lulzbot support or lack thereof, won’t matter much, and the consumables and wear items in the Taz 6 are shared with the workhorse - print beds, motors, rambo board, toolhead components, etc. I think the major reason they went with the belted Z wasn’t about layer lines, but that the particular lead screw design they used was pretty much unique, and it allowed them to cut that custom part out of the manufacture of the Workhorse.

I have a original taz workhorse from about 4 or 5 years ago & it’s very similar I know because I had a expert look at it & talk to Lulzbot but If you looking for a taz workhorse with magnetic bed the workhorse plus will even more worthwhile

As we are creating newer printers, the Workhorse has been a consistently popular printer that has not changed a whole lot.

The Workhorse(+) will have the same functionality as earlier Workhorse printers, but with a few updates. Including the Meteor 285 Tool Head, flex bed, and runout sensor.

These are quality of life upgrades vs. a complete redesign of the Workhorse platform.

1 Like

Makes sense, just as the workhorse itself is the same kind of evolution of the Taz 6. The question is if the net delta from 6 to + is worth the cost. The last big thing is the abandonment of filament profiles and concerns about continued support in cura going forward.

Probably will just wait until I have a major failure and upgrade at that point.

We are still continuing to generate profiles and advance the development of Cura LE.
We are currently working at Cura 5.6, so no worries there!

Profiles also take time and the Meteor Tool Head is still very new and profiles are being tweaked and adjusted every day.

So we definitely are still working hard on those.

1 Like

I think you misunderstand - the recent releases deleted a number of profiles that I rely on (I have a large stock of eSun HIPS for example). But glad to hear that new profiles are still going to be provided for the Taz 6.

I’m just happy that you’ve gotten the mac build problems sorted out so we don’t lag behind :slight_smile:

Which version are you currently using?

I checked the experimental version (4.13.6) and it looks like there are HIPS profiles for the TAZ 6 SE Tool Head. The hexagon and the Aero v1 Tool Head do have those HIPS profiles as well.

Some of the earlier 4.13 builds may not have had all of the profiles transferred over, but that should not be the case anymore.

They dropped the eSUN HIPS profile a while back. The other HIPS profiles aren’t the same, and don’t work well for that filament - I’ve had to manually create a new one (and now it looks like my custom profiles have disappeared too, sigh…here we go again).

I just checked, and it looks like a number of SL profiles are also gone - ABS, T-Glase, etc - haven’t used that head in a while (had been on a printing hiatus), so not sure when those were dropped.

I know HIPS isn’t a common filament, but I bought a bunch of it because it was cheap, and doesn’t melt in the car - I use it to print box organizers for my board games. I understand they can’t produce profiles for every filament under the sun, but pulling ones that were there and worked…don’t get that.

If you had previous profiles, it may be worth comparing what was different between the profiles available on the eSUN ones and creating your own profile under one of the preconfigured ones in Cura 4.13.

Typically between brands, about the only thing I personally have found that needs tweaking is temperatures, if that.

I checked back to 3.6.20 Cura that was released back in 2019 and it was not present even back then. So I would be curious as to what version you had still provided that particular profile.

It’s been a while since I created it, but I recall that there were a number of different changes to get good adhesion and avoid layer splits. I had to manually create it in 3.6.20 for eSun HIPS originally, and had been bringing it over to the new version, but looks like the last release wiped that out, so have to see if I can find my notes.

Don’t recall when/where the SL profiles dropped (haven’t used that head in a while, but was just getting ready to pull it back out). The one I used there was village plastics ABS.

We’ve kinda forked the thread here a bit, and it’s actually making me think that staying on the taz 6 is better - at least I can go dig out those old profiles and manually recreate them for it, but I bet they were never released for the workhorse at all.

Printing ABS on a 0.25mm nozzle? Wouldn’t heat creep just pummel the hell out of that and clog it? I recently bought a second-hand SL tool head and they last used it for ABS. I had to take it apart and put a butane torch to the heatbreak/sink to get it working again.

I know I did it, because I basically don’t own any PLA filaments - it was either ABS or HIPS.

It’s been a few years, but as I recall I always used cleaning filament in the head before letting it fully cool down.

I had to go through and find my 1 roll I bought with my TAZ 5. I fell into the cheap filament trap too. I have used maybe, MAYBE, 100g off this roll until I realized it is cheap for a reason. Near 10 year old spool (Made November 2014), should just throw it out.

I have found that if a place is discounting their stock and it is cheap, it’s usually taking up shelf space because no one wants it for a reason.

1 Like

My point was both are similar & none of them are wrong choices but If you have the regular taz workhorse no need to worry whichever one you got

If you want my opinion instead of throwing out good spools offer it to a friend or sell the spool also filament makers that accept recycling will also take it