Taz 6 specific Openbuilds X axis

YMMV...
bflorin

Re: Taz 6 specific Openbuilds X axis

Postby bflorin » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:36 pm

piercet wrote:Ok, I see what the issues are. the Taz 6 is 10mm wider than the Taz 5, so my allignment on the part is off by 10mm, and the taz 5 variant has the X max limit switch on the idler block, not on the carriage. I should be able to cut the x motor bolt side mount back 10mm without losing structure, and the Idler side would just be extending the recess for the limit switch out to fit the carriage mounted limit switch instead. i'll get those fixed and posted here shortly.
Are the files in the first post the updated versions? The file name looks like its the first version. Thanks!

piercet

Postby piercet » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:04 pm

The updated versions don't yet exist. I've been busy with other project (specifically getting ready to move house), sorry

steve0-uk

Postby steve0-uk » Mon May 01, 2017 5:18 am

I've made some minor adjustments but are untested. I am doing the Y axis mod on my Taz 6 currently so my printer is out of action.

Piercet, how much is involved to do open rail mods for the Z for the Taz 6? I know you have said you wont be doing it as there wasn't much interest in the previous, but would like to do it.

piercet

Postby piercet » Mon May 01, 2017 12:20 pm

steve0-uk wrote:I've made some minor adjustments but are untested. I am doing the Y axis mod on my Taz 6 currently so my printer is out of action.

Piercet, how much is involved to do open rail mods for the Z for the Taz 6? I know you have said you wont be doing it as there wasn't much interest in the previous, but would like to do it.
The existing openbuilds Z mod for the Taz 3-5 uses the X end plates as the foundation. To use it with a taz 6 you would either have to aquire a set of those endplates and then retrofit in the Taz 5 openbuilds Z axis and X axis, Or you would need to design a completely new setup. The leadscrew position and the guide rod position are different and closer together so there is very little room to get everything in the proper allignment. You might be better off converting the back frame extrusion to a guide rail and using that rather than placing another rail where the existing Taz 6 Z rod is. The Taz 5 x endplate setup would probably be easier because the parts all exist, and you could still use your auto leveling setup, but even then it would be a major untested undertaking.

steve0-uk

Postby steve0-uk » Wed May 03, 2017 11:23 am

So quite involved then...

piercet

Postby piercet » Fri May 12, 2017 11:30 pm

Ok, I think I have all the issues resolved now. For the first one, the pictures earlier in the thread are using the old incorrect variant of the Openbuilds X carriage that has the shortened tabs. Thats causing the X motor side limit switch to miss. On the Y axis side the Limit switch trigger nub was not far enough out to make contact with the fan mounted limit switch. That picture also shows that the Taz 6 cutout toolhead mount notch is not installed, so that may also have contributed as well.

The issue of the toolhead overall travel is baffling, and i'm beginning to suspect the extrusions in the unit pictured were 500mm long in the X direction (stock Taz 4-5 lengths) and not 510mm long. Thats the only dimension that would account for the travel being narrower than the bed plate targets by 10mm. That being said, I've created two new mounts that allow a total of 20mm additional travel on x, 10mm per side. The endstop trigger for the X maximum on the idler side, though extended outward, is still in the correct position relative to the rods, so it should have the correct travel on that side, but the motor side may now have 10mm excess travel. If that ends up being the case I'll produce one with the X endstop prior location restored. Alternativly you should be able to use the 1st X end piece posted as is without modification.
Taz 6 x ends.png
The anti wobble is still in the works. I have a version that should work for the X antiwoble, the Y axis i'm having difficulty fitting it in the available space.
Attachments
Taz6_OpenRail_motor_Endcap_2_0_a.stl
(356.23 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Taz6_OpenRail_Idler_Endcap_2_0_a.stl
(297.35 KiB) Downloaded 21 times

bflorin

Postby bflorin » Sat May 13, 2017 9:27 pm

I'm thinking of dumping the guide rod and capturing the lead screw inside a c-beam. Only reason I haven't ordered the c-beam yet is I can't find it in black. If I can get z figured out, x will fall in easy.

steve0-uk

Postby steve0-uk » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:39 pm

With the toolhead assembly, is the nozzle still in the original position so homing and nozzle wipe wont be affected?

Ive printed a set (1st design) and i am finding the carrage is approx 7mm too low measured from the fan mounted switch to the idler tab and roughly 3mm forward from the tab. Also the front mounting point on the idler side prevents the carriage from getting close enough. It seems about 2-3mm needs shaving off to clear.

piercet

Postby piercet » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:41 pm

It's probably slightly forward but I can't remember if it is further down or not. It should be about the same position since I centered the rails on the centerpoint of where the two rods were. If it needs adjusting I can certainly tweak the design as needed. The big problem is I don't have a 6 frame with stock parts to test against. I should build one one of these days.

steve0-uk

Postby steve0-uk » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:58 am

I am happy to test out designs to work out any issues. My design skills are not up to scratch to make heavy changes to parts