Lulzbot TAZ Dual Extruder Fan Mount

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
ray

Lulzbot TAZ Dual Extruder Fan Mount

Post by ray » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:02 pm

Hi Lulzbot Users!

With the release of our overwhelmingly exciting Dual Extruder, one of the biggest questions everyone has is, "Where are the fans?!" Well, the original design did not take fans into account, so I've been working on a design fusing Lulzbot's lower bracket for the dual extruder (http://devel.lulzbot.com/TAZ/accessorie ... t-V1.1.stl) with American3dPrinting's dual-duct fan mount (http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:374906), and the result is the Dually Cooly
2014-11-20 Dually Cooly 8.stl
Dually Cooly by 3dprintdaddy
(1.34 MiB) Downloaded 258 times

Simply replacing the standard lower bracket, the DC allows you to attach two standard 40mm 24v fans, one for each extruder, that blow air to the heat sinks and also to the nozzles as they print. This has the most impact when printing with PLA, which otherwise can be a challenge due to heat creep and surface cooling issues. The DC will also aid in printing with HIPS, T-glase, and other materials that do well with some cooling during printing.

The DC prints sitting flat and needs no support, thanks to the two vertical supports inside the fan mounts. Holes on the top of the E0 fan shroud allow you to insert the whole M3 screw down into the holes and through to their mounting points on the Dual Mount bracket. Sizing of the holes on the fan mounts are ideal for heat inserts that you mount the fans to, but with some acetone to adjust the holes you can self-tap some M3 screws in. Perhaps a second design for self-tapping would be helpful.

This is my eighth iteration of the Dually Cooly, and there are still many improvements to be made. I appreciate any and all feedback and testing.
Attachments
DuallyCooly8 DSC_0005.JPG
Top view
DuallyCooly8 DSC_0004.JPG
Fan side view
DuallyCooly8 DSC_0003.JPG
Left view
DuallyCooly8 DSC_0002.JPG
Bottom view

smiley

Re: Lulzbot TAZ Dual Extruder Fan Mount

Post by smiley » Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:20 am

This is awesome! Thanks for your hard work.

Do you think you could have another version that still has both fan mounts but only one is pointing at the tip of the nozzle and the other is only for cooling the fins on the buda. My thought is one side for pla and the other for abs/flexy/nylon.

Just a thought.

ray

Post by ray » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:01 am

Hi smiley! An interesting thought, and totally doable. Do you know how well PLA bonds with abs/flexy/nylon in dual extrusion prints? Because of the difference in material and the big temperature differential, I wonder how well they will adhere to one another. I haven't tried it yet, so I'm wondering if you have any experience in that. Thanks!

ray

Post by ray » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:34 pm

New design! Dually Cooly 9 features:
-larger support fins inside the two fan shrouds.
-cut back bottom fan shrouds for improved bed clearance and nozzle clearance.
-indentation on back of bracket to make room for carriage screws.
-larger M3 screw insertion holes on rear nozzle.
Let me know how this works for everyone!
Attachments
2014-12-2 Dually Cooly 9.stl
(1.31 MiB) Downloaded 144 times

ray

Post by ray » Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:51 pm

Had some trouble printing DuallyCooly9. Made further improvements for DuallyCooly10 including:
-Stronger back fan mount for printing and installing.
-Smaller holes on fan mounts for self-tapping M3 screw installation
-Fixed previous holes on front fan shroud.
Attachments
2014-12-2 Dually Cooly 10.stl
DuallyCooly10
(1.45 MiB) Downloaded 196 times

ray

Post by ray » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:57 am

A quick followup note regarding dual fan control. Use this updated Dual Extruder Firmware:

http://devel.lulzbot.com/TAZ/accessorie ... n_control/

Then to control Fan one you continue to use

Code: Select all

M106 Sxxx
, and to control Fan 2 use

Code: Select all

M106 P1 Sxxx

Enjoy!

smiley

Post by smiley » Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:47 pm

Hey,

In my experience pla and abs dont bond very well due to the temperature difference. My real motivation was to have ABS and Ninja flex printed together. Since the nozzles are so close the radiant heating tends to get the budda cooling fins a bit too hot and thus causing extrusion jams. So the though was to have one fan mount with just the upper cooling to keep the budda happy because the tip cooling isnt needed with abs. The other mount would have both if I ever want to swap in pla.

I printed out your version 8 and love it. I just have tape covering up the nozzle cooling when printing ninja and abs. Is the latest version worth the upgrade?

Thanks again.
3dprintdaddy wrote:Hi smiley! An interesting thought, and totally doable. Do you know how well PLA bonds with abs/flexy/nylon in dual extrusion prints? Because of the difference in material and the big temperature differential, I wonder how well they will adhere to one another. I haven't tried it yet, so I'm wondering if you have any experience in that. Thanks!

3dRiffs

Post by 3dRiffs » Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:02 pm

Printed a couple yesterday, and they turned out great.

One question - anyone figured out how to get the brass bushing from the levelers out of the front of the old dual extruder plate without destroying it (or know of a quick source to buy a replacement?)

inventabuild

Post by inventabuild » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:59 pm

Ditto on 3driffs questions about the brass bushing on the leveler.

Also, is the x carriage starting to get weighted a little heavy now with all that hardware mounted to it. I'm running my dually at 60 on the perimeter with successful decent looking prints. Any opinion on whether I'll need to back off the speed with the addition of these dual fans to maintain decent print quality ?

markvr4

Post by markvr4 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:38 pm

Thanks for making this awesome part! Can you share what print settings you have used to get the best results? I just printed it in ABS (.50 nozzle, 20% infill, .37 layer height, 230/93 degrees) and it bowed/warped to the point that I don't think I can use it. Other than the warping it came out very good.

I assumed ABS would be best for durability, but maybe I'll have to do a bigger part like that with PLA. I printed it on blue painter's tape because my PET was a bit marred, so maybe that's part of the problem and I should just put down a new sheet of PET and use a glue stick. Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks,
Mark