TAZ dual extruder mod files

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!

Re: TAZ dual extruder mod files

Post by 1013 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:03 pm

I have thought about using a bowden type extruder for the secondary extruder option (extruder mounted to frame, tube going to hot-end). This would be the lightest option. but might limit the type of material for the secondary extruder.

Cale

Post by Cale » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:15 am

I'm actually doing just that 1013, just need to decide on a lightweight 1.75mm hotend before I move forward with it. I have all the printed parts and hardware to build http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:126778 sitting on my desk.

For the mounting of the head I'm thinking of mashing up this http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:116880 with the budaplate on my Budaschnozzle 1.3 http://www.thingiverse.com/download:56481
Current portfolio (WIP)
http://supersurfer92.wix.com/modeling

Current 3D Printing Coordinator at The Digital Animation & Visual Effects school
Former Lulzbot bot cluster Bot Lord

Lulzbot TK-0
3 Lulzbot TAZ 1
2 Makerbot Rep 2
1 Formlabs Form1

Post by 1013 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:24 pm

BTW, I have not had any problems due to the weight of standard extruders.

gannon

Post by gannon » Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:15 pm

I just got my dual extruder setup this past weekend! It's definitely a tight fit with the lulzbot development version, but works well so far. I think I need to loosen the rear extruder and align the hotend though, because it's a bit too hard to extrude through it now :/
Other than a few potential issues I have with slic3r, all looks well. Calibration isn't too bad either. Wish pronterface handled multiple extruders differently, but that can be changed.

goodeness

Post by goodeness » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:49 pm

ok parts should be here tomo so i can start my upgrade. i use octopi as printserver, what will be my changes on that end of it and will running different nozzle diameters be good or bad?

gannon

Post by gannon » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:58 pm

I haven't used octopi yet, but the changes to slic3r were easy enough. Just make sure that you set up each extruder properly.
You will have to make sure that your layer height is set to a maximum of 80% of your smallest nozzle :!:

I'm not sure if it is fixed yet, but even if you set everything to be extruded by extruder 2, the first skirt loop is still printed by extruder one in slic3r.

goodeness

Post by goodeness » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:24 pm

ok cool, thanks, i will factor that into my design then. didnt know that...

adambyram

Post by adambyram » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:55 pm

goodeness wrote:i use octopi as printserver, what will be my changes on that end of it
OctoPrint (which is the actual software you're running if you're using the OctoPi distribution) doesn't support multiple extruders just yet. So you won't need to change anything there per se, but you also won't be able to control the temperature for the second extruder (or issue extrude/retract commands).

The OctoPrint support for multiple extruders is coming based on a recent post on G+, but it's not going to be ready just yet.
https://plus.google.com/110130855001142 ... 8Yi58kF2Eq

I don't have a dual extruder setup on my TAZ yet so I can't speak from personal experience, but just keep in mind you'll need to have Slic3r control your extrusion temps (as opposed to setting the temps to 0 in Slic3r and manually setting the temps in OctoPrint). Otherwise, there shouldn't be any reason OctoPrint won't work for you since it'll just pass along whatever Gcode you send it.

Good luck with the upgrade if you give it a try. I'll be curious to see how it goes if you do try a dual extruder TAZ with OctoPrint.

- Adam

goodeness

Post by goodeness » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:22 pm

adambyram wrote:
goodeness wrote:i use octopi as printserver, what will be my changes on that end of it
OctoPrint (which is the actual software you're running if you're using the OctoPi distribution) doesn't support multiple extruders just yet. So you won't need to change anything there per se, but you also won't be able to control the temperature for the second extruder (or issue extrude/retract commands).

The OctoPrint support for multiple extruders is coming based on a recent post on G+, but it's not going to be ready just yet.
https://plus.google.com/110130855001142 ... 8Yi58kF2Eq

I don't have a dual extruder setup on my TAZ yet so I can't speak from personal experience, but just keep in mind you'll need to have Slic3r control your extrusion temps (as opposed to setting the temps to 0 in Slic3r and manually setting the temps in OctoPrint). Otherwise, there shouldn't be any reason OctoPrint won't work for you since it'll just pass along whatever Gcode you send it.

Good luck with the upgrade if you give it a try. I'll be curious to see how it goes if you do try a dual extruder TAZ with OctoPrint.

- Adam
I should have known that to dangit lol, yeah, shouldnt really change anything besides my slicing and figure out which nozzle i want as primary. Buddy has a Replicator 2x and he has issues with the 1st extruder sucking up filament from the second. is that a extrude/retract problem also?

cnr0616

Post by cnr0616 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:38 am

Last edited by cnr0616 on Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.