HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
Uptime

Re: HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

Post by Uptime » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:23 pm

Thanks much for your inspreing design. I made an enclosure similar to yours, but a bit wider since I wanted to keep the spool of filament in the enclosure. The most expensive part was the plexiglass. The hardest part was bending the plexy. I didn't think to ask a sign shop to bend it, so I made a temporary bender with ideas I got from YouTube instructions. I overheated the plastic, so it bubbled a bit.

For venting the electronics, I just made a matching hole in the side and used window/door weather stripping.

It's not museum quality, but it looks ok and it works well.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Last edited by Uptime on Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Fri Mar 20, 2015 6:45 pm

Uptime!

Good for you! So did you build this based off of the HOTBOX design or was this something you had built a while ago....if so, then it's amazing how similar it is! ;) All you have to do now is add some cooling fans!

Uptime

Post by Uptime » Sat Mar 21, 2015 5:31 am

JonathanB wrote:Uptime!

Good for you! So did you build this based off of the HOTBOX design or was this something you had built a while ago....if so, then it's amazing how similar it is! ;) All you have to do now is add some cooling fans!
I just finished it yesterday. The idea comes from your design and the dimensions from the cat guard project.

I'm wondering if the fan is necessary since opening the door will dump the heat.

Thanks again.

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:59 am

Well you can definitely get away without the fans and just keep the door open but it's nice to be able to regulate the heat in the chamber without have the door wide open. Also, PLA likes a draft flowing over it so they're good for that also. I usually put them on just a tad when printing PLA. Also, if you ever do a missprint and want to start over but don't want to wait for the bed to cool down before you can pull the print off, you put the fans on high, crack the door a bit and things will cool down a lot quicker. I've done this a bunch of times. I think you could probably experiment with trying to cool a good ABS print, when it's finished. But I haven't experimented with this though.

Eventually, we'll probably design in carbon and dust filters, and I'm sure some of you will experiment with this, that way you don't have to worry so much about the environment that the printer operates in, ie dirty, dusty wood working shop or machine shop. And the carbon filter would filter the ABS fumes so you could operate it in a closed environment with safety.

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:24 am

Here is an example of the kind of stuff you can do when you have a good quality enclosure like the hotbox... tall thin prints in ABS, not a problem. This was a 10.5 hour print done at 100mm/s! 20% infill, by the end of the print, it was up to 40C. This will have zero cracks and superior adhesion, good for use as a canopy for my custom made quad! How cool is that!

the light strips need a few dabs of hot glue :) a good FYI for would be kit owners...
Attachments
20150323_030529.jpg
20150323_030514.jpg
Last edited by JonathanB on Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

KosmoPi

Post by KosmoPi » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:44 pm

This is all really impressive. My only problem is that I live in a 1 bedroom condo, and I just cant make my printer any larger. I personally find the sheet metal version more appealing and professional looking, but that is just my taste. My KitTAZ is housed in my bedroom and I would love an enclosure like this one, i just think my wife will probably think it looks too bulky/ugly (she also doesnt have a fondness for wood). Good call on MDF though, that is one of my favorite wood materials.

I will continue to follow this thread and project and if I change my mind I will contact JonathanB directly.

Keep up the good work!

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:38 pm

Hey Kosmi

Lol.. I laughed reading that one...thanks for you input though. Yes, personally I'd like to eventually go towards the lightweight aluminum version, everything shipped in a flat box, just screw in a few screws and you're up and running. BUT ofcourse, that's going to end up costing a lot more, so we're starting with this DIY kit style just to make it accessible to everyone. But we're looking into it.

Super rough estimation would put the metal kit at close to 700$US...before shipping. But again, that's a very rough estimate. We're still getting quotes. But that would be a FULL kit, so it would include everything, you wouldn't need to build or source anything, just possibly the 3D printed parts.

I here you about size though, but this box actually hugs the printer about as tight as you could go so it's more like the printer is just large to begin with. Ugly I'd disagree with but eh, everyone's taste is different, but it's definately more at home in a workshop than a livingroom per se. Just tell you wife there's plenty of space to put her indoor plants on the top ledge, they'll drape down the side and provide for a beautiful decor centerpiece :D If it's close enough to the kitchen, you could also keep your food warm on the heated bed :D

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:16 pm

______________________________________________________________________________________________________
**********OFFICIAL LINK TO HOTBOX FILES*******
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
https://grabcad.com/library/hotbox-diy- ... printing-1

So I had a few people ask me the specifics of what was involved with the building process and I thought it just made sense to distribute all the files for free to give everyone a better idea of what is involved. The link above is to be considered the official link to all files related to the HOTBOX design, any updates will be posted there. Beware of blatant copy cats, but respect remixers!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I'm distributing these files under the GNU GPLv3 license
please find more information at
https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.html

Thank You.
Jon-
Last edited by JonathanB on Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.

jebba
Site Admin

Post by jebba » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:43 pm

The license you've used is closed. You're using a free software and open source hardware forum to distribute and sell proprietary hardware.

https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.html

Thanks for your consideration,

-Jeff

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:15 pm

Jeff,

I thought making all the files available for free would be ok no? Isn't that more in the spirit of open source? I don't mind if people remix some of the cad files, I just don't want them distributing them commercially, that's all. i.e using all my work for someone elses gain. We're making a few dollars off the kits yes, but not much, people are freely able to source the parts themselves... that's sort of the whole point. We will eventually switch the license over to a fully free license, just not right now.

Sorry I'm just not too sure how all this open source stuff works, I'm not a copywright or patent laywer...all I know is that I can't give away hardware, ie, kits, for free :). I don't think anyone would do that. If you feel this thread is too much on the side of product sales, just let me know. I can remove some items. Wish you guys would have said something sooner. I'd rather we continue this through PM please.

Thanks.
Jon-
Last edited by JonathanB on Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.