HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
catzcradle

Re: HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

Post by catzcradle » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:32 pm

Not sure where is local, but I used OCIP here in Anaheim. They can cut and form anything out of plexi.

Skippy

Post by Skippy » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:46 pm

Hi

Has anybody done a hotbox for the TAZ 6 as I wish to do one for my TAZ 6. Do I keep the electronics in the hot box or make a cutout so the the electronics and controls on on the out side. Or put the whole printer inside and have air ducting to the electronics in and out ventilation

Regards
Skippy

Post by 1013 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:25 pm

here is what I did for the TAZ6. I put the electronics on the outside.
not actively heated, but could be done easily.
more info here:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=2565&p=29827#p29827
Attachments
TAZ6 enclosure.jpg

holydeltawings

Post by holydeltawings » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:42 am

Well mine has been done for awhile now.

I moved and a the rear fan got damaged so I will have to repair that but other then that, works great. My temps max out at 38°C.

dieseldog

Post by dieseldog » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:01 am

Where can I download the hinge stl? It's not part of the download package.

nbmoretto

Post by nbmoretto » Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:14 am

dieseldog wrote:Where can I download the hinge stl? It's not part of the download package.
The hinge for the acrylic are physical parts that were purchased

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:31 am

holydeltawings wrote:Well mine has been done for awhile now.

I moved and a the rear fan got damaged so I will have to repair that but other then that, works great. My temps max out at 38°C.
This looks really well made, reminds me of mine! Congrats, it's one of the best examples of how it should turn out. Hope you're enjoying it...
Yep, mine maxes out about there as well, sometimes I can just push 40C... have been printing ABS for almost two years now, printer and box still going strong, it's pretty cool how little maintenance these printers require vs. run time. I'm really impressed. I do really long and large parts in ABS also. Literally the only things you have to maintain or replace now and then are belts, heating elements, unclog a nozzle from time to time, some other small stuff. It's equivalent to general maintenance on a car--> was expecting it to be a lot more fussy. My box has been holding up great also...no major issues so far for me.

JoshZ

Post by JoshZ » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:46 pm

Sorry about my first post being a thread necro, but I made one of these awhile back and it's been fantastic (except when I have to take the top off).

However, I've lately been considering adding a supplemental heater. Like others, I max out around 35C or so internally. My question would be:

A) Is there any benefit to making the environment hotter?
B) If so, what would be a good way to go about this with the Hotbox?

holydeltawings

Post by holydeltawings » Thu May 04, 2017 8:16 pm

JonathanB wrote:
This looks really well made, reminds me of mine! Congrats, it's one of the best examples of how it should turn out. Hope you're enjoying it...
Yep, mine maxes out about there as well, sometimes I can just push 40C... have been printing ABS for almost two years now, printer and box still going strong, it's pretty cool how little maintenance these printers require vs. run time. I'm really impressed. I do really long and large parts in ABS also. Literally the only things you have to maintain or replace now and then are belts, heating elements, unclog a nozzle from time to time, some other small stuff. It's equivalent to general maintenance on a car--> was expecting it to be a lot more fussy. My box has been holding up great also...no major issues so far for me.

Thanks! The hardest part is definitely bending the acrylic. I found someone to laser cut it out of 6mm acrylic and that was a beast to bend. I couldn't find anyone to bend it locally for cheap so went with a heat gun and muscle to get it to shape. Not 100% perfect but does the job.

I did design handles to use instead of the ones you have listed on the BOS since I figured I have a 3d printer and I have extra m3 heatset inserts.

The only extra bit I added was a power supply plug like this:

to use a regular NEMA 5 cable for easy removal from the enclosure for moving it around.

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:11 pm

holydeltawings wrote:
Thu May 04, 2017 8:16 pm
JonathanB wrote:

Thanks! The hardest part is definitely bending the acrylic. I found someone to laser cut it out of 6mm acrylic and that was a beast to bend. I couldn't find anyone to bend it locally for cheap so went with a heat gun and muscle to get it to shape. Not 100% perfect but does the job.

I did design handles to use instead of the ones you have listed on the BOS since I figured I have a 3d printer and I have extra m3 heatset inserts.

The only extra bit I added was a power supply plug like this:

to use a regular NEMA 5 cable for easy removal from the enclosure for moving it around.
YEP. 3DP's make their own parts.... it's great. Good call :)