HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
JonathanB

Re: HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

Post by JonathanB » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:17 pm

nbmoretto wrote:Another quick note for anyone who bought the kit. I was wiring up the LEDs this morning and found that one of the connectors has the wires swapped. I tried to pop them out with an x-acto blade to switch them but that didn't work so I just removed the heat shrink and swapped the wires real quick. Make sure you look over the wiring before soldering things together.
11655573_1115426308474617_161879793_n.jpg
11657425_1115426298474618_1837202128_n.jpg

NB,

WOW, that's weird man, stupid question but, sure you have them plugged in the right way around....???
thanks for sharing this, I'm assuming it would short if you left it plugged in that way and forgot to switch black for red at one end. I never noticed this when packing them. Weird. If anyone else has this issue with their jst wires, please comment here. Thanks again for posting this up. SICK looking build by the way, congrats.
Last edited by JonathanB on Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:26 pm

NB,

In the video above, the fans are PC fans so they're setup with three wires, one being for signal, the yellow, that would normally go into the mobo I'm assuming for speed control. We don't need that one, just need the black and red. If you plug all the connectors in the right way it should all line up. In this case I don't think it matters which side you plug the power + or - in at the end of the line, if anything, it will just make the fan spin the wrong way :).

However, like you explain in your video, just keep track of + and - and make sure they're match throughout the connections. if they were mismatched at one of the connections, then you'd get a spark show..Pretty straight forward stuff.

nbmoretto

Post by nbmoretto » Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:39 pm

The connectors can only go in one way so I am sure I am not doing that wrong. Also as you stated for the fans I am completely aware of what the yellow wire is for but I was just noting how the power and ground wires were running from the fans to the final power. This way when you power up the fan they rotate in the direction as indicated on the side of the fan.

ansonwing

Post by ansonwing » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:05 pm

I want to say that I had the same issue but it wasn't a problem cause I got it working. I'll check later tonight to confirm.

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:34 pm

Yep, that's what I noticed also. Anson got everything working ok. Can anyone else chime in? Again, just be aware of which wire goes where at the end of the line and everything should be ok. I tested the PSU and the fans before I shipped them out so all should be good.

Interesting to see how the laser cut panels go together. Keep in mind you got that done for a discount, which is awesome. To have all that done by a shop is going to get pretty expensive, probably more than most people want to pay. I'd love to offer pre-cut panels as part of the kit but so far it's not looking too promising, just too expensive.

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:22 pm

Update**

Feedtubeholder_1.2_Hbx, now in the main file dump on grabcad,

https://grabcad.com/library/hotbox-diy- ... printing-1.....

This is the one I modded to fit the flat panels of the hotbox. Enjoy.

nbmoretto

Post by nbmoretto » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:34 pm

WOW OH WOW. I am impressed at how well the acrylic worked out. I ended up just using a heat gun and heated the acrylic for about 8 minutes and bent it around the sound. Pretty happy on how it turned out. Well, I'm off to Boston hopefully I can do some more work on it there.
11696895_1115711505112764_1938735133_n.jpg
Freshly bent acrylic
11694321_1115711501779431_770318606_n.jpg
My TAZ has a nice new home.

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:16 pm

WoW indeed, how cool does that black look.....making the Hotbox 1.0 look like a piece of crap (as in, my original natural wood version) lol... you guys with the paint, really onto something.....Nice work Nick, very nice. Just imagine putting blue tinted LED's in there, would be insane. Maybe throw in a strobe light ;)
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ok, so guys, so I'm setting up a website to do pre-orders for more kits, and just to have a place where I can start selling other parts and mods for the this beast. I have some cray cray stuff planned. Can't thank you guys enough for the support and seeing these builds come to fruition, and how awesome they look is really something else. If you guys can, whenever your builds are fully finished, shoot me your best photo's @ jonswift1@hotmail.com. And I'll put them up on the website.

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:28 am

Alright, so the website is up and running, if you're interested in a kit, go there and you can pre-order one, either pay in advanced or pay upon MOQ reached.. We might actually be ordering a few to keep in inventory, regardless of the MOQ so keep checking back. If you have a cool mod for the box, let me know and I might be able to put it up for sale on the site also, but I'd like to see it shared here first for development. In the meantime, I'm still working on the idea of having a complete metal kit so stay tuned for that. Hopefully we'll be coming out with some other cool 3DP stuff also.

thanks for the support guys.

www.hotbox3dp.com

catzcradle

Post by catzcradle » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:00 pm

One of the tweaks that I did was to create a sliding stop part on the reel holders. I have a couple reels that had holes smaller than the end caps, so, being an engineering type, I made snug-fit sliders that can handle the small-hole reels. The box I am finding to run at around 95-105 degrees (summertime here) and is not affected by the AC or anything else. I ran a 32hr abs print of the terminator rex from pinshape that came out beautiful! I may not run PLA again as I have heat creep with it, and ABS prints great now.