HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
JonathanB

Re: HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

Post by JonathanB » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:41 pm

Hey Catz,

Can you share an image of the slider?

Awesome to hear about the long ABS prints turning out ok. For PLA, mind you I done havn't too much of it, I don't heat the bed, or I start off at about 50 degree's then turn it off, or...errr I can't remember if I put down painters tape and glue though over the PEI...frick, it's been so long since I've worked in PLA :P... But ya, you def don't wan't the box getting too hot with PLA, put the fans on to provide air flow, and keep it on the cooler side.

Yes, the box will contain the heat pretty well in a drafty or cold environment. I have mine in my basement workshop, it's been getting pretty cold here at night, 14C, so I keep the windows open for ventilation, I notice the box will drop a degree or two but overall doesn't effect the prints at all. Just did another gas tank print for my second bike, almost a two day print!! it's amazing how long you can run these things if everything is in tip top shape. At some point I'd like to do an endurance test, see if I can run it reliably for four or five days straight days straight :). I'm almost certain the only issue that would happen is nozzle clogging. I think that's what we should work on next, designing a 3D printed filament cleaner that we can install in-line on the box. Get work'n on it guys! :)

catzcradle

Post by catzcradle » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:51 pm

Oh sure, if you want the file I can upload it somewhere.
sliding_stop.png

catzcradle

Post by catzcradle » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:57 pm

I don't think designing the nozzle cleaner is the problem, it's adding in the g-code to wipe the nozzle. The cube pro does that, where it wipes the nozzle every layer. Adds time to the print, but "can" improve some of the messy-ness that can show up on the print.

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:42 am

Nice work.

No, not a nozzle cleaner, but a small filament cleaner, like a sponge soaked in cleaner oil that the filament passes through before it enters the nozzle. There's a million of them up on thingiverse, we'd need to design one so that it can fit on the box. Like a plate design that can be screwed in the outside of the box sorta thing.

catzcradle

Post by catzcradle » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:56 am

Oh, I get what you are thinking of. Let me give it some thought

nbmoretto

Post by nbmoretto » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:44 am

So this is how my enclosure stands for now. Excuse the mess, been getting settled into the new apartment and waiting for more furniture to arrive.

I find that the gap in the back for the power cord is a bit tight so gonna just cut a little slot for that to run. Slowly getting this bad boy going!

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:51 am

WOw, check out this new forum look right.....pretty fancy :D

So this thread has been pretty dormant for a while, I'm just curious as to what everyone is up to? How have your builds come along, can you post some pictures of your progress.

SO just a little update for everyone. We sold our initial batch of kits and have decided to not continue selling them as the time/profit margins didn't really pan out. Ideally we would like to make a metal enclosure to offer as a kit but we are still shopping around for this and we are uncertain about it, a full metal kit would be $$$, probably 1000$+shipping when all is said and done so obviously the market potential would be questionable.

So lucky for you guys, I will be posting the full BOM in the file dump link really soon, it's just been crazy busy this summer so I need to tackle a few other things first. But anyway, that means you will have full access to where we sourced our parts, pricing, per unit pricing etc. Mind you some of the parts were bought as multiples but it will at least get you going in the right direction. So it doesn't really help kit owners already but for anyone just reading this now, you'll be able to build a Hbox at a reduced cost.

Thanks for continuing to support this project and keep checking back here for updates. I'm still waiting to some awesome HBox mods.

Jon-

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:51 am

@nb, wow, cool. Looks great! Thanks for sharing. Keep us posted.

EthanK

Post by EthanK » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:23 am

@JonathanB

We just got a TAZ 5 two weeks ago and ran some ABS which we had some warping issues with and I looked through you hotbox design. I'm really impressed with the amount of work that went into your designs and documentation. I wanted to offer the one thought I had, if I were to build a similar box, which you may have already considered; is using a piano hinge rather than the bent plexiglass. It won't be a totally clear cover which is cool looking but it will reduce the overall height and cost of the build.

For your metal version I think there is a chance to reduce a lot of the cost by adding bent tabs or flanges which may add some slight cost to part manufacturing over a flat plate but would greatly ease the build time and part count. Some well designed tabs and flanges with a few printed parts could even get you to a tool-less build.

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:29 pm

Ethan,

The metal version is already fleshed out in CAD, there are definitely some changes to the design that were made to make it more manufacture friendly and easier to ship. ie. the bent plexi is made in two parts so it can be flat pack shipped, all the panels are basically flat packable with small tabs that would have pre-tapped holes for machine screws, you could literally assembly the whole thing in like 25minutes. Here's the problem. The quotes for the manufacturing alone is a few hundred/unit, so tack on shipping from destination to my location, sales tax, and my margins and you're easily getting close to 1000$+/unit, just to make it worth while. that doesn't leave much room for distributor margins either. Not to mention there really isn't THAT much demand for an enclosure in that price range. I bet you 8/10 guys would rather just spend a weekend making one out of wood, even if it takes them longer and it's a PIA, then pay that much for a "ready to assemble" metal kit version. Sure, that manufacturing cost could be brought down if they were made in large enough quantities but we're talking like 1000+ units, #1 the final price point would still be probably too high, #2 no way there is that sort of demand for enclosures in the 3D printing community.