HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
C_Duncan

Re: HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

Post by C_Duncan » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:18 pm

@Jonathan - This is the best and well documented enclosure out there. Thank you for all your hard work and communication. It galls me some that there was so much trouble turning this good idea into a sustainable venture. May I suggest that you place all relevant build files and the completed summary of suggestions in the first post with links. It would be more straightforward instead of reading through the evolution of the project - Though that was enjoyable, I wanted a happier ending.

I will keep you posted as I get the build together.

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:43 pm

@Paul Morley Awesome build man, I love it, looks great. Can't complain when a 12 hour print comes out perfect :)

@Choban, just follow the instructions carefully and you shouldn't have any problems, you can wing stuff if you need to, it's up to you. PLA is fine for the parts as they aren't in heat.

@ BigKahun, build looks great. I think the Rambo fan shoots air out instead of in which means that it actually pulls hot air out of the box. I never really had an issue with this bringing the temps down.

Can't tell you guys how cool it is to see these builds, hear all the feedback and discussion on modifications etc. I'm still waiting to see some REALLY cool custom mods that ad the personal touch. Love all the colors choices though.

@C_duncan. Thanks for the kind words man. I will definitely think about putting the link on the first page, I think that's a good idea.
selling kits in not profitable, but I do think a quick assembled, flat packable metal version would have more potential. The problem is the cost would need to be in the right area, 2-3 hundred dollar price point, that makes it tough. You know, what would really be great would be to have help from lulzbot with that, but it looks like they want zero part in it.

John Mc

Post by John Mc » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:04 pm

paulmorley wrote:@BigKahuna ... @choban Just drill slow on the holes. Start with smaller bits and graduate up till the hole is the right size. Practice on a scrap piece of plexi if you have some left over.
would a step drill work OK on plexi, or are you better off stepping up through individual drill bit sizes?

paulmorley

Post by paulmorley » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:04 pm

@john mc

I would stick with stepping up through individual sizes. You'll probably need no more than 3. Just try a hole on a spare piece of plexi first. It's really not a risky as you might think.

nbmoretto

Post by nbmoretto » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:21 pm

So I have been lazy on my enclosure. Everything is pretty much installed except for the fans and lights, along with their controllers. In the meantime I have just been using using some tape to close of the holes in my enclosure and I have been getting great results being I print in only ABS. I was getting frustrated with the lid being held up so I designed these supports to screw into the top of my enclosure. I would use a minimum of 2 but more can help relieve the stress on each support.
Attachments
Lid Holder.STL
(74.5 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
12833407_1264690840214829_31493176_n.jpg
12476382_1264690860214827_1983489689_n.jpg
Last edited by nbmoretto on Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ansonwing

Post by ansonwing » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:41 pm

great idea on those holders! Would you be willing to share the stls? would love to print some for myself

nbmoretto

Post by nbmoretto » Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:59 pm

ansonwing wrote:great idea on those holders! Would you be willing to share the stls? would love to print some for myself
look closer in my post you will see them. Attached to here as well.
Attachments
Lid Holder.STL
(74.5 KiB) Downloaded 101 times

ansonwing

Post by ansonwing » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:04 pm

apologies. Thanks!

catzcradle

Post by catzcradle » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:23 pm

I still find things I'm tweaking. I came up with a threaded spool holder(s) as I've found that different companies use different size spools. These use the same mounting holes as the original..
thin-spool-holder.JPG
spare-base.JPG
I have found these to be quieter than the originals, and fit all the spools I have to date.
Attachments
fat_spool_holder.JPG
spool-base.JPG

John Mc

Post by John Mc » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:58 am

Smooth surface. How did you accomplish that?