HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
John Mc

Re: HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

Post by John Mc » Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:53 am

ansonwing wrote:
John Mc wrote:Can you just take the filament spool off the holder and store it inside when not in use?
I've never done it before, but I imagine fitting 1 or 2 rolls in there when it's not in use would be fine. I store my filament in this tote when I'm not using mine and it'd work great for you as well. http://www.lowes.com/pd_609042-78055-39 ... lastic+bin
I was posting with a suggestion to Mecizeldec who asked about fitting the spool inside to protect from dust.

Actually, I'm already set up with a 5 gallon bucket with screw off lid for filament storage. Had I seen the zip-loc container first, I would have gone that way. Until I read another post here, I was not aware that they made that type of container with a seal around the lid.

nim

Post by nim » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:10 pm

Hey and thanks for sharing this design

I have some sort of similar questions in regards to this for my TAZ 5.

Would making the hot box wider to mount the filament spool inside be a bad idea? I mean in terms of filaments like PLA warping and distorting due to the high temperatures inside. Would thiat happen?

Also, is it nessecary to mount the electronics outside? I don't want to overheat them so I'll do it if nessecary, but I'd prefer to keep it all inside if possible.

Thanks

ansonwing

Post by ansonwing » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:43 pm

nim wrote:Hey and thanks for sharing this design

Would making the hot box wider to mount the filament spool inside be a bad idea? I mean in terms of filaments like PLA warping and distorting due to the high temperatures inside. Would thiat happen?

Also, is it nessecary to mount the electronics outside? I don't want to overheat them so I'll do it if nessecary, but I'd prefer to keep it all inside if possible.

Thanks
I imagine that putting certain filaments inside the enclosure would be fine, but filaments like PLA can become brittle when heated and cooled repeatedly. There's no really good reason to put it inside.

There is an opening on the side of this enclosure that allows air flow to and from the electronics to help keep them cooled. I mounted the LCD screen on the outside of the enclosure so I could control the printer without opening the door.

nim

Post by nim » Sun Apr 03, 2016 1:48 pm

ansonwing wrote:

Thanks
I imagine that putting certain filaments inside the enclosure would be fine, but filaments like PLA can become brittle when heated and cooled repeatedly. There's no really good reason to put it inside.

There is an opening on the side of this enclosure that allows air flow to and from the electronics to help keep them cooled. I mounted the LCD screen on the outside of the enclosure so I could control the printer without opening the door.
I see, thanks. I'll mount it outside, then.

Do you think this has an effect on noise, though? A part of the reason for building an enclosure is noise reduction in my case. Both cooling the electronics and the hole for the filament I mean.

ansonwing

Post by ansonwing » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:31 pm

nim wrote:
ansonwing wrote:

Thanks

Do you think this has an effect on noise, though? A part of the reason for building an enclosure is noise reduction in my case. Both cooling the electronics and the hole for the filament I mean.
For the slot on the top, I ended up getting an old bike tire and cut out a section and put it between the printed part and the wood on the top, and I cut a slit so that the tube could move but it was sealed better than nothing at all. It's hard to say how much noise would be removed by not having any holes since I haven't tested that, but I can tell you the printer noise dropped considerably. Maybe not enough to put in your room with you while you sleep, but I have mine close to the entertainment center, and it's not distracting in the slightest.

nim

Post by nim » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:54 pm

ansonwing wrote:
nim wrote:
ansonwing wrote:

For the slot on the top, I ended up getting an old bike tire and cut out a section and put it between the printed part and the wood on the top, and I cut a slit so that the tube could move but it was sealed better than nothing at all. It's hard to say how much noise would be removed by not having any holes since I haven't tested that, but I can tell you the printer noise dropped considerably. Maybe not enough to put in your room with you while you sleep, but I have mine close to the entertainment center, and it's not distracting in the slightest.
I see, that makes sense, thanks.

If it wouldn't be too much to ask, could I persuade you to make a quick dB measurement with the printer running inside your enclosure? That would be very much appreciated :)

ansonwing

Post by ansonwing » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:16 pm

Truthfully I probably won't be able to get to it for a couple of days, but I'll give it a shot when I can

nim

Post by nim » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:04 am

ansonwing wrote:Truthfully I probably won't be able to get to it for a couple of days, but I'll give it a shot when I can
That's awesome, thanks man :)

ansonwing

Post by ansonwing » Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:54 am

So I used a free app from my phone to test how loud the printer is, so take this with a grain of salt. With the fans on, I was getting roughly 45db. Turning the fans off dropped that 1 or 2 db but not much. The sound is very much unnoticeable when printing. Hope this helps.

nim

Post by nim » Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:03 pm

ansonwing wrote:So I used a free app from my phone to test how loud the printer is, so take this with a grain of salt. With the fans on, I was getting roughly 45db. Turning the fans off dropped that 1 or 2 db but not much. The sound is very much unnoticeable when printing. Hope this helps.
Thank you very much. I appreciate it :)