HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
JonathanB

Re: HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

Post by JonathanB » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:36 am

I have all the CAD files done already in Solidworks so it's basically just a matter of converting them, open up a few windows and do a few mouse clicks :)

I warn you though, although a time saver, having the panels laser cut will cost you. I priced it at a local maker space it came out to around 45$ for each of the side panels, alone. Then there's the top and back panels which I didn't get a quote for. I figured it was too rich for most people's blood so that's why I focussed on doing a purely DIY style kit.

if I have time, while I'm doing the .dxf files, I might try to design them so that they interlock in the corners, like you see with some of these DIY 3D printers from china, and like the picture below.....but I'm just not sure, given the size of this box, if it would make sense structurally.
Attachments
skullbox_assembled_fixed_diff_v1.jpg

Brew4You

Post by Brew4You » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:49 am

Thanks sain! I'm going to get back into solidworks, haven't used it in almost a decade though.

Dang that is expensive. My membership is $40 a month and it doesn't cost anything to use whatever is there, just materials.

I almost always put some type of dovetail on joints but I have a setup that makes it trivial. But yeah, I would think that wood glue and a brad nailer would be more than enough.

Sweet Jolly Roger!

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:54 am

40$ a month + materials.. eeek. I'd be in there running those machines 24/7 trying to get my monies worth :)

Well, i'll do up the .dxf files so you'll have the choice! I'll do plane and notched :)

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:01 pm

Ok guys, got a little angel investment to get things up and running. Looks like we will be ordering in ten kits very shortly. If things go well, I should have them within a month or so. So if you're on the fence about building a "NICE" enclosure like the HOTBOX, just hang tight and we'll fix you up with a kit! it's going to save you a ton of time and money.

Again you can PM if you're interested and I'll put you on the waiting list. WOOT WOOT. Let's HOTBOX it!

Jon-

vitormhenrique

Post by vitormhenrique » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:28 pm

@JonathanB,

Will this kit include the wood? or we would still need to source this part, cut it to shape etc...

Thanks,

Vitor Henrique

mkainovi

Post by mkainovi » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:42 pm

My rendition of the basic dimensions, for those people that want to try and build their own, here is a start and its free. This was based off the pictures of Jonathan's design. It's .igs format. The front glass is acrylic sheet glued together instead of bent, found it was easier. material was about $30 for wood and $50 for acrylic I will get some pictures of the actual build shortly. I am also adding this fan set-up

http://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-AIRPL ... irplate+t3

to control temperature
Attachments
frame_asm.rar
(142.42 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Last edited by mkainovi on Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:28 pm

THE MODEL POSTED IN THE LINK ABOVE IS NOT OFFICIALLY ENDORSED BY HOTBOX AND THE DIMENSIONS CANNOT BE CONFIRMED. PLEASE DON'T USE THIS MODEL IF YOU'RE ARE FOLLOWING OUR INSTRUCTIONS AND HAVE PURCHASED THE BUILD KIT. WE ASKED THE POSTER TO REMOVE IT AND POST IT TO A NEW, ORIGINAL THREAD BUT THEY'VE REFUSED TO TAKE IT DOWN. WE WILL BE MAKING ALL THE OFFICAL HOTBOX CAD FILES AVAILABLE AT A LATER DATE. THANK YOU.
______________________________________________________________________________________________________
@ vitormhenrique, no, the kit does not include the wood... please refer to my post on page 3, the one with all the attachments, look at the second last attachment, it lists the various options and prices. Just PM if you have any specific questions.

The kits will include all the hardware (screws, nuts, bolts), electronics (PWM fan control, connectors, wires, PSU etc.) and other miscellaneous hardware (handles, bumpers, hinges etc.). You will also receive a file package with all the .stl files to print the required parts and you are welcomed and encourage to create and hack your own mods and parts!

Of-course you could always just source the parts and try to build one yourself but it's actually quite a bit of work, there are a lot of dimensions to take into consideration, the main benefit with ordering a kit from us is that you basically pay a small premium to have us do all that for you, we've taken care of all the part sourcing, the instructions, the part files, everything comes to you in a nice neat package, you'll only have to buy the wood from the hardware store, cut it size and assemble it. You'll also be helping to support us develop new idea's and products for the Lulzbot and other 3D printer equipment.

I'm now working with someone else from this forum and we are working on getting 10 kits shipped in within a month or two.

@ mkainovi,

I appreciate the gesture and the work involved. I'd like to keep this a HOTBOX only thread, so unfortunately, I can't endorse your design. But thanks for sharing it, you are more than welcomed and encouraged to start your own thread with your own awesome enclosure designs or to stick around here and talk about the HOTBOX design :)....

good luck!

thank you.
Jon-
Last edited by JonathanB on Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:03 am, edited 3 times in total.

mkainovi

Post by mkainovi » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:35 pm

@JonathanB

Never asked you to endorse the design, I was just giving people an option with dimensions so they could build on thier own. I was just staying true to the OpenSource hardware that the lulzbot was built on.

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:42 pm

That's fine. Like I mentioned, I'd like to keep the posts in this thread HOTBOX related. If you have an awesome enclosure design that you'd like to share, please create a new thread for it.

We'd love to see YOUR own designs, not just renditions of someone elses :)

Thank you. :)

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:47 pm

This is what your finished HOTBOX will look like when you're done building it. A nice, clean, professional box for your Taz or other 3D printer.

The kit will include everything seen here, PLUS the wiring(not shown) MINUS the wood, acrylic panel and 3Dprinted parts. You can either 3D print the parts yourself or have someone print them for you.

BOX_Assembly.188.jpg
Just add the printer and now you're ready to print like a champ!
BOX_Assembly.241.jpg