HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
Brew4You

Re: HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

Post by Brew4You » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:09 pm

@jb
I know I didn't PM you but you can count me in on ordering a kit. I'm just wondering if you bent your own acrylic panel or had it done by someone else. If you had it sourced out what did it cost? I feel like this would be the biggest hurdle for people to overcome. Could it be possible to make it from two pieces with a couple of hinges? I feel that would be a very viable option for some.
@vitormhenrique
I would think no one would buy it after they saw what it costs to ship the kit with the, bulky and heavy, wood parts.
@mkainovi
I'm not as graceful as jb--wish I was. Don't drop turds on someone else's thread. Just saying, especially if you haven't laied down any gems yet. It's just good forum etiquette. That said I do like the 2 piece acrylic door option, I think it is a good alternative to bending a solid piece.

Is there any thought on having the incoming air filtered? So that if someone is in a dusty environment it won't affect their printers environment. I'll look into it tomorrow at work.

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:48 pm

Eh Brew, lol..ya well, I gotta keep it clean on the public forum, especially since I'm trying to build a reputation here so as you can see, I kept my response pretty sterile. I'm pretty sure he get's the point. If anyone downloads his link, please understand that I don't endorse it at all, the CAD model looks WAYYYY off and out of proportion.

It took a month or two for me to really tweak the dimensions and parts for this "HOTBOX" design so there's a lot more involved than just slapping together a few panels in CAD. *Sigh. ;)

I'll leave it at that.

Ok awesome! if you can hold off for about a month or so, we're looking to source in all the parts into a nice tidy package, all for around 200-230$US, +S&H. You'll get the .stl files and build instructions also. I'll be there to help you with any questions, but it's pretty straight forward stuff, my instructions walk you through with tons of HD pictures and there's plenty of room to put your own flavor into it also if you don't want to follow the plans to the T.

so ya, basically for the acrylic panel, go to your local sign or plastic shop and ask them to cut you a 1/4" acrylic panel and bend it to the dimensions as per the instructions. Whole thing should cost you no more than about 50$.

Honestly, the look of the bent acrylic panel REALLY set's it apart and gives it a quality look, all for little money so I'd really recommend sticking with the bent acrylic, but ofcourse, other options are possible. We're casually looking into getting an aluminum version made that can be shipped as a full kit, unfortunately we'll probably have to swap the bent acrylic for two flat pieces so it can be shipped as a flat pack to keep the shipping costs down. Dems are the breaks. We'll see how it pans out though.

SEE, this is why these forums are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo awesome. Love the idea about the air filter. For now we'll probably keep things pretty low key and basic and just offer a standardized kits, just to keep the costs down and make things simplier on ourselves, but by all means, hack away and throw idea's on here! We're gonna build this thing together and make it the best it can be! Let us know what you find out!
Last edited by JonathanB on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

mkainovi

Post by mkainovi » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:37 am

Jonathan,

Thanks for the heads up, I zipped up the wrong file, the attachment has been updated. The dimensions work just fine by the way

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:50 am

mkainovi,

lol.

I think you're missing the point, WE will release the official CAD files, with all the exact dimensions at a later date. I don't have time to go over your the dimensions of the model you uploaded to make sure it is accurate, so for now, I can't endorse it. I'd appreciate if you removed it from THIS particular thread for now, so people don't get confused. You are more than welcomed to post it up in a new thread of your own ;) but also more than welcomed to continue posting in this thread, providing it's HOTBOX related.

Brew4You

Post by Brew4You » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:50 am

Do you have a recommendation for wood to use? The standard 1/4" Birch or should it be made out of 1/2"?

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:41 am

Oh, I finished the .dxf files by the way, just the plain cut, not the notched corners, still have to figure out how that will work. I sent them off for a quote to a local makerspace. I'll throw in the .dxf files in the kit for you. If you're having it laser cut, go with birch wood, 1/4".

The DIY build plans call for 1/4" MDF!!!! not wood, plywood is way too warpy. I built mine with mdf and it works and looks great, plus, it will take paint really well if you wanted to paint it.

@ Mkainovi

I just want to address something here. talking to you, you keep mentioning the spirit of open source and seem to have something against us selling these kits....well, not sure what planet you live on but things cost money in life, don't confuse "open source" with "FREE"... the materials for these kits cost money and I've put a lot of time and effort into this design, it's not like I'm going to give them away for free. BUT even then, we will eventually release all the files publicly, we're just getting started here so things aren't finalized yet.

This thread serves as a launching board and development thread for this enclosure design, sure, we're trying to raise some money through sales of these kits, but that money goes right back into improving the design and further developments. Using the input from people in this thread, we will try to improve the enclosure and incorporate your ideas into future designs. Thanks.

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:43 pm

You can source the wood from your local hardware store (50$), the acrylic panel can be cut and bent at a local sign shop or plastic distributor (50$US). And the 3D printed parts you can print yourself or have them printed. You also get the 108 page build instruction guide in .doc format, which will walk you through the entire process from start to finish with easy to read instructions and detailed, high quality HD renderings, the wiring schematics are included also. You'll also get the .DXF files and a file package with all the .stl files for the 3D printed parts....eventually will release the native CAD files for EVERYTHING!
Last edited by JonathanB on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:44 am, edited 4 times in total.

Brew4You

Post by Brew4You » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:11 pm

All I need to do now is save up $200 extra! :D Congrats dude and good luck!

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:29 pm

N/A

keep checking back for updates.
Last edited by JonathanB on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

JonathanB

Post by JonathanB » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:08 pm

-N/a-
Last edited by JonathanB on Tue Mar 24, 2015 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.