HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
jebba
Site Admin
Posts: 689
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:11 pm

Re: HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

Post by jebba » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:46 pm

Hey, just checking in here.

Ya, the main gripe is the NC license. All would be just swell if it was under the GPLv3, for instance. I didn't think the advertising was bad or a problem, except that it was for something NC--that made me lose sleep. ;) I don't think we've ever deleted posts except blatant spam.

The fact that your project is NC (non-commercial) and is uploaded to a commercial enterprise dedicated to free software and open source hardware is a bit curious though. I read the thread before you revealed it was NC. Are Aleph Objects employees prohibited from viewing/using the files, since it is a under NC license? If they aren't prohibited, under what provision are they allowed? In fact, can we host them, since they are NC? Out of the terabytes of data in the Aleph ecosystem, are these the few bytes I'm prohibited from reading and using?

Thanks for your consideration,

-Jeff

User avatar
JonathanB
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:37 pm

Re: HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

Post by JonathanB » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:14 am

Jeff,



The whole reason why I went with NC is that my logic is that since I'm just starting out with this, I wouldn't mind developing this into a side business, I don't really expect it to generate that much money but it's a fun little side project. So basically I'm trying to make money with it by selling kits. Afterall, that is how things work in the real world. You create something and then sell it for profit. So I just thought if we made it gplv3 right off the bat, then basically anyone can take all my hard work and research, all the files I put up for free and go and start selling THE FILES or KITS also, which I don't really want quite yet because, being a poor designer, I need the money :).

About the NC license....lol...Jeff, they are pretty meaningless actually, it's not a patent, you basically can do whatever you want anyway, who's going to stop you? I have no legal way of stopping anyone from replicating, reproducing the design or anything. I put the NC license on there mostly because I didn't want people to take the FREE file package, instructions, stl, dox files etc.and then turn around and start selling that information as their own file package. That's about the only thing that the NC license might provide some legal coverage for, I believe, otherwise they're pretty meaningless. Everything else is in the realm of IP law, which I don't have a patent YET and I'd have less then a year from display date to patent it, that's if it's even patent able at all..blah blah big mess, don't want to deal with it.

Also, if you're referring to GrabCad as being a free database, I've been part of the GrabCad community for over two years and I'm quite well known there, I had contacted admin about hosting the files there and they allowed me. After all, the files are being offered for free.

Even with the NC license YOU pretty much still can do whatever you want! you just can't turn around and sell copies of my files, or you can't turn around and sell the EXACT same kits that we sell you, although technically I don't think I could enforce that. I'm just saying, don't take the EXACT work I put up for free and turn around and use it for profit. But I can't stop you from getting idea's and inspiration from my design and building your own box and kits and selling those....but it has to be your own work. That's all the NC license is saying imo.

If Lulzbot is interested in this design and interested in working with us, then perhaps we can make a deal of some sorts. But this would be a monetary deal, just keep in mind, I need to eat :). If you were interested, I would love to do a royalty deal, you take this design under your wings, develop it (hopefully I could stay on board as a design consultant) etc. etc. I don't think there is a HUGE market but it would be nice to have the resources of a larger, established company like Lulzbot developing it. This way you could do whatever you want with it, make it GLpv3, and sell a nice finished metal version. Keep in mind, I don't have a patent on this and probably won't get one so you could technically just copy the design :). But I'd have to label you a COPIER then :)

As far as hosting the files, why wouldn't you be able to host files that I've posted for free already :) I'd welcome it. Can't see how the NC license would stop you from doing that, in fact, that's why I choose it. It's basically an open source license, just with a commercial distribution clause.
Last edited by JonathanB on Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
JonathanB
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:37 pm

Re: HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

Post by JonathanB » Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:23 am

*quick little update, we have 2, possibly 3 kits left, just waiting on someone to confirm, so we're almost out. The parts have been coming in, they look Awesome!!! I think everyone is going to be super happy with their kits. All around an awesome little package that's going to save you tons of time and hassle.

We're basically just waiting on some of the hardware to arrive and then we can start shipping out! So if you ordered a kit. Please just hold tight.

Thank You.

mkainovi
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:42 am

Re: HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

Post by mkainovi » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:44 pm

Just wanted to post an update, here is a pic of my version of the enclosure that Jonothan has designed. It really does make a difference I was able to print the part shown below on a 38hr print in ABS basically using the full build platform of my Taz 5. There were still some minor cracks, but I would call this a huge accomplishment considering the size and the material. ABS parts this size are really tough to build! So the point is the enclosure makes a difference!
Attachments
print.jpg
enclosure.jpg

User avatar
JonathanB
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:37 pm

Re: HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

Post by JonathanB » Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:20 pm

Looks good! Nice build...thanks for sharing...Yes, an enclosure is a must for print in ABS. Good to see large prints can be done also. For small cracks, just use some acetone to seal the back up...

did you print the .stl files from the link I put up?

Is that a manifold? are you planning on casting it in metal? That's one of the reasons I got the Taz to begin with, to do some lost casting in aluminum for dirtbike parts...

nbmoretto
Posts: 243
Joined: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:44 am

Re: HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

Post by nbmoretto » Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:34 pm

I am a college student and I have a program at my school where I get to work for 6 months and then go to school for 6 months. Recently I had the opportunity to interview with Stratasys and their machines are absolutely amazing. I got to see one of the BIG FDM printers up close and personal. The heat inside those things are so nice that you can literally SEE the heat inside of the machine. The parts that come off are amazing also. So ya, a heated chamber is definitely the way to go.

User avatar
JonathanB
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:37 pm

Re: HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

Post by JonathanB » Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:02 pm

Just think about it, if you use a hot glue gun, and you put one strip down and let it cool, and then lay another hot strip down on top of it, it won't stick as well as if you layed both strips down while they were hot, same principal goes for 3D printing, especially with ABS since it seems to cool and harden quicker. Even with an enclosure, it's best to print parts so that the layers get put down as quickly as possible for best adhesion..... large prints, where sections of the layering have time to cool before the next pass, can have problems with adhesion. Pretty straight forward stuff........ the heated enclosure helps to keep those layers slightly less cool so they stick better on the next pass..... NOW, if you could heat those layers up almost to the point of being molten, then you'd get spectacular adhesion.... so if you were able to keep the temperature in the 70-100+degree range without killing components and hardware in the process, then you're talking....
That's my call out for people to experiment with the Hotbox and heating it...try adding heaters, heat lamps etc. push the limits and experiment. liquid cooled couplings on the steppers, replace ABS parts with CNC, mount the electronics externally (just the mobo, otherwise you'd be infringing on stratysis's rediculous external gantry patent) and anything else to get the heat up. Fun fun fun...

mkainovi
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:42 am

Re: HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

Post by mkainovi » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:55 am

It is going to be a casting, however, it is way to large for me to try the lost wax process at home, that would be one dangerous situation! About 16lbs of molten aluminum is what it would take. Either way it works pretty awesome. I am going to experiment with a heater on the inside similar to something like the attached link. Planning on relocating the electronics out side the box, and adding heat sinks and cooling fans to the steppers. After an almost 40hr build the steppers are extremely hot!

http://iscenclosurecooling.com/products ... -400-650w/

User avatar
JonathanB
Posts: 363
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 1:37 pm

Re: HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

Post by JonathanB » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:02 am

oh that's interesting, I can't wait to start making bike parts using casting, we need to start a whole new thread for that.... 16lbs is insane? looks like a car or traktor part? You're going to have this done by a foundry then? Can you share the progress with this in a new thread? thanks.

When I first started designing the enclosure, I looked into heaters like that, but then realized I'd have to upgrade many parts on the printer to withstand the heat like you're mentioning...just didn't feel like going THAT extreme yet. I need like 3-4 printers to play around with...if only I was rich. Another option instead of a heater like that would be to put a heat lamp inside...one of those industrial one's they use to keep food warm.

jebba
Site Admin
Posts: 689
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:11 pm

Re: HOT BOX 3DP ENCLOSURE SYSTEM (For Taz)

Post by jebba » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:26 pm

JonathanB wrote:The whole reason why I went with NC is that my logic is that since I'm just starting out with this, I wouldn't mind developing this into a side business, I don't really expect it to generate that much money but it's a fun little side project. So basically I'm trying to make money with it by selling kits. Afterall, that is how things work in the real world. You create something and then sell it for profit. So I just thought if we made it gplv3 right off the bat, then basically anyone can take all my hard work and research, all the files I put up for free and go and start selling THE FILES or KITS also, which I don't really want quite yet because, being a poor designer, I need the money :).
Do you realize you are trying to convince someone who had sales of $1.5 million last month selling open source hardware, that you need NC to develop a business? I realize you will be able to convince nearly everyone out there of this logic. You will be wrong, of course, which is what I prove daily. And so have others. But you can continue with that myth/FUD, I know it is ingrained.
JonathanB wrote:About the NC license....lol...Jeff, they are pretty meaningless actually, it's not a patent, you basically can do whatever you want anyway, who's going to stop you?
Of course you can't stop someone with an NC license, which is meaningless as you say. It is very easy to get around. So why do it? You say you want it for the money, but anyone that wanted to compete with you on this would have zero problem due to your license. So what is the point?

JonathanB wrote:Also, if you're referring to GrabCad as being a free database, I've been part of the GrabCad community for over two years and I'm quite well known there, I had contacted admin about hosting the files there and they allowed me. After all, the files are being offered for free.
I'm not referring to grabcad. I know little about that site. I don't care what you do there.
JonathanB wrote:Even with the NC license YOU pretty much still can do whatever you want! you just can't turn around and sell copies of my files, or you can't turn around and sell the EXACT same kits that we sell you, although technically I don't think I could enforce that. I'm just saying, don't take the EXACT work I put up for free and turn around and use it for profit. But I can't stop you from getting idea's and inspiration from my design and building your own box and kits and selling those....but it has to be your own work. That's all the NC license is saying imo.
I know you wouldn't be able to stop me if I wanted to copy your box. I think you think this is about a box, which I totally don't care about. This is about a battle between freely available information/dialog and people who want to lock that down. The people in favor of locking things down have been winning for my entire lifetime, and probably for all of history. I don't know why you can't go to the other 10000000000000000 places that host proprietary stuff and use their servers to host your projects and closed ideas. Why come to one of the very few places on earth dedicated free software and open source hardware and dump on it? Thankfully you weren't there for the creation of Wikipedia.
JonathanB wrote:If Lulzbot is interested in this design and interested in working with us, then perhaps we can make a deal of some sorts.
There is no chance in hell of this *EVER* happening. If you don't get it yet, we are a free software and open source hardware company. I have ZERO interest in your project. I regret it exists.
JonathanB wrote:As far as hosting the files, why wouldn't you be able to host files that I've posted for free already :) I'd welcome it. Can't see how the NC license would stop you from doing that, in fact, that's why I choose it.
You've posted them for "free"? What do you mean by that? Under what license provision am I able to host your proprietary files?
JonathanB wrote:It's basically an open source license, just with a commercial distribution clause.
"It's basically blue, except it is red". Ya, that makes sense.

-Jeff

Post Reply