Kauri: Next Generation TAZ

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
jebba
Site Admin

Kauri: Next Generation TAZ

Post by jebba » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:12 pm

Here's some mockups of the next generation TAZ, codenamed Kauri.

More here:
http://devel.lulzbot.com/TAZ/Kauri/images/

It will have an internal power supply and have auto bed leveling. It is still in the early stages.

-Jeff

mod edit: fixed link

piercet

Re: Kauri: Next Generation TAZ

Post by piercet » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:09 pm

Interesting. I suppose the box frame structure would cut down on production time of the printer and reduce the amount of machine squaring that is required. Have you thought about extending the side case up to the top of the frame and adding one of the mini computers that are out there in that space? Maybe one of those new Extra skinny Intel NUC's http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ ... i5ryk.html Then you could sell a variant as an integrated development unit.

Is the auto leveling bed mount plate the same dimension as the Taz 3/4 units? If not, do you guys have any plans to sell a couple of those mount plates as an upgrade kit of some sort?

Feel free to use my TAZ lightbar thingies if you want!

jebba
Site Admin

Post by jebba » Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:49 pm

I think the bed plate is the same. Looks like the old pic got pulled down and this latest revision uploaded:

kaldyn

Post by kaldyn » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:52 pm

Nice!

Have you considered making the x/y rails use hardened rails and metal bearings instead of plastic ones?

PSFU10-500 and LMU10 are the parts that a lot of users are doing manual upgrades to.

do-it-for-science-

Post by do-it-for-science- » Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:18 pm

Or perhaps if you plan on incorporating a computer, go with BB black in order to keep it all open source? having the thing loaded up with ocotoprint (or some other open source variant of that) would be pretty sweet too.
open source, open heart,

Jeff Hunt,
Renewable Energy Engineering student OIT

jebba
Site Admin

Post by jebba » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:02 pm

do-it-for-science- wrote:Or perhaps if you plan on incorporating a computer, go with BB black in order to keep it all open source? having the thing loaded up with ocotoprint (or some other open source variant of that) would be pretty sweet too.
We've worked a bit on this in the past, in particular with LinkSprite / PCDuino. It won't be in the next version though.

Theycallmejohn

Post by Theycallmejohn » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:33 am

Very Interesting... Thanks for sharing! I look forward to seeing how it is all put together.

May need to get a new printer soon...

How far out would you say this one is?

jebba
Site Admin

Post by jebba » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:02 pm

Theycallmejohn wrote:How far out would you say this one is?
The design isn't set, and the parts aren't ordered, so it is still 12+ weeks out. We do have some of the long lead parts on order already, that we think will stay between TAZ 5 and Kauri (e.g. that cute little blower fan). R&D isn't done.

This is what manufacturing is planning for, subject to change, of course:

http://devel.alephobjects.com/ao/manufa ... _draft.ods

You'll see that file is updated weekly, so if you monitor that directory, it should keep you up-to-date.

You can also check the BOM, and watch it get filled out:

http://devel.lulzbot.com/TAZ/Kauri/prod ... ri_BOM.ods

-Jeff

kaldyn

Post by kaldyn » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:11 pm

What does orange vs yellow highlighting on the BOM stand for?

Brew4You

Post by Brew4You » Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:51 pm

I'll miss the all extruded aluminum frame. Although the plastic sides will give it a much cleaner look. I'm glad you guys are sticking with the original TAZ look instead of going to the I closed box design that most other companies use.

Is dual extruder going to be the only option?