Kauri: Next Generation TAZ

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
Sk8rSeth

Re: Kauri: Next Generation TAZ

Post by Sk8rSeth » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:25 pm

Im on mobile and cannot view the schedule, so i was wondering what sort of ETA can be expected for kauri? Im very close to pulling the trigger on a lulzbot, and the kauri seems like it has all the features i wish the taz5 had!

i saw it was an estimated 12 weeks or so, back in march. was hoping for a status update?

catzcradle

Post by catzcradle » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:17 pm

Looks like they're adding the cooling fan on both sides. I did this on my taz5 for small parts and the quality difference on left facing overhangs are very impressive. Looking good!

PMV3D

Post by PMV3D » Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:01 am

My only concern is the new frame. To me, it looks like an over sized mini. I am guessing that that was the goal. The only problem is that it is more difficult to upgrade. You cannot put add-ons to the sides, as there are no more slots, just a plate. Also, it looks like it will be more difficult to access the electronics box. This will make it more difficult to add things to it. It will also make it practically impossible to upgrade to it from older TAZ models, seeing as it has a completely different frame. Another thing with the electronics case that limits upgrades is that, other than two on top, there are no plugs or holes in the casing. People won’t be able to add anything other than the specifics add-ons you sell for that printer. Another thing is the wires. They appear to be held together by a sort of chain, as opposed to a tube. This will make it difficult to add more wires through. Also, what is the point of the two round plugs on top if all wires go through a chain? What I suggest doing, if you really want to have this casing, is to make the casing removable. Have a regular TAZ, with its extrusion frame, and screw on some plates, so that people can put them on, and take them off. As for the electronics case, have separate plates on it that people can remove to reveal slits to run extra wires through.

richard.shenton

Post by richard.shenton » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:41 am

Looking good but would love to have a larger build area , a lot of the new printers i have looked at are closer to the 12*12*12 range , those few extra inches would make a lot of difference to some of my builds . As another thought any chance of an extra bit of kit to upgrade the y axis dimensions ? being able to print 2' sections would be great for certain projects i have lined up !

piercet

Post by piercet » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:16 am

Every bit of length you add to a rod bearing system that is supported at the ends only increases the amount of potential deflection. Same with adding a larger print area. You would need to convert the Y axis to a supported rail system to significantly lengthen it. Same with the X or Z Axis. That or go with much thicker bearing rods. Either option would increase costs.

nopick

Post by nopick » Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:55 am

If you dig in the development files, it looks like a 11.25 inch cube is what they are considering for the Taz 6.

richard.shenton

Post by richard.shenton » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:36 am

I fully understand there be increased costs comes without saying , you would also need a bigger heated bed that would cost also , I was thinking the y axis would be best for this as it has more options to strengthen the support. Obviously we can always slice models id just prefer to keep this to a minimum were possible. IF they are looking at making the bed on the 6 slightly bigger that's a positive at least . In the long run id like one with at least one axis 2' .