Bed Temp Change after uploading firmware on Taz5

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
kmanley57

Re: Bed Temp Change after uploading firmware on Taz5

Post by kmanley57 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:59 pm

Wolfie wrote:Well, I would have to say that the rebuild with the new plate was a success. Green is ABS coming out of the flexistruder, black abs from main extruder.
If you have not got more PTFE tubing to replace the length in the flexistruder when it wears out, I would recommend it soon.
I will express my CRAZY ideas at any time! So you have been warned. None of my opinions are Lulzbots and can be wrong at any second.

Wolfie

Post by Wolfie » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:09 pm

Why? Does it wear out THAT fast?

Already looked but the comments give me pause as to where to get it:

Hardware HD-TB0006 .25”ODx.125”ID PTFE tube (~4”) - 50' roll Zoro Tools G3251001 0.25 ft $0.70 $0.70 only comes in 50' rolls ($105) This Zoro tools PTFE should be much more consistent – need to test before using in production – only comes in 50' rolls (~150flexy's)

Hardware HD-TB0006 .25”ODx.125”ID PTFE tube (~2.5”) McMaster-Carr Supply Company 8547K23 1 This mcmaster PTFE needs to be replaced due to inconsistent quality and diameter

First, I want decent quality. Second I don't want to buy 50'.

Anyone know of a vendor of reasonable lengths?
LulzBot Taz 5

kmanley57

Post by kmanley57 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:41 am

Well I was told by a person that uses a lot of nijaflex that the less flexible filaments will damage it pretty fast. And the checks I did last year, it was crushing/deforming the walls of the tubing where the screw is so that it had feed/buckling issues. I have not since ran ANYTHING but flexible filament through the flexistruder I built for testing.
I will express my CRAZY ideas at any time! So you have been warned. None of my opinions are Lulzbots and can be wrong at any second.

dutchhome

Post by dutchhome » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:26 am

McMaster Carr has it in 1ft lengths for a reasonable price. Shipping is usually about $8.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8547k23/=wfnhbo
Lulzbot TAZ 4.1
Upgraded to Hexagon Extruder
Converted old extruder to Flexystruder 1.1

KosmoPi

Post by KosmoPi » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:18 pm

This is great work everyone, I look forward to following along, and I if I get excited about going to a dualy flexi, i will find it even more useful!

Wolfie

Post by Wolfie » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:22 pm

I haven't even tightened that screw :) Its very loose as I hadn't needed to use it for rigid filament.

I am not too thrilled iwht the flexi design. Access to the hobbed bolt is, well, non-existant. I have been penciling down sketches for a converted wades that would incorporate the tube but still give access to the hobbed bolt for cleaning.
LulzBot Taz 5

Wolfie

Post by Wolfie » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:25 pm

dutchhome wrote:McMaster Carr has it in 1ft lengths for a reasonable price. Shipping is usually about $8.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#8547k23/=wfnhbo
What gave me pause was this quirp at the bottom of that page:
OD is oversized and ID is undersized for finishing to the sizes listed. These tubes are FDA compliant and meet UL 94V0 for flame retardance and ASTM D1710.
So, is it really .125 or is it only .120. Or .110? What is it I am actually getting?

I also noted that its max temp is 500f, only 260c. I know it doesn't touch the hot end, but is this a factor here?
LulzBot Taz 5

dutchhome

Post by dutchhome » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:02 pm

Wolfie wrote:So, is it really .125 or is it only .120. Or .110? What is it I am actually getting?
In the end it doesn't *really* matter. The printed part is drilled out (6.5mm) to accept the tube. I've now printed and assembled two of the flexystruder bodies and after drilling out the hole to 6.5mm (the size recommended by Aleph Objects), the tube fit snugly. On one I needed a small allen wrench to push the tube in. On the other I could push it in by hand. The inner diameter needs to be drilled out to 3.5mm.
Lulzbot TAZ 4.1
Upgraded to Hexagon Extruder
Converted old extruder to Flexystruder 1.1

kcchen_00

Post by kcchen_00 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:40 pm

Wolfie wrote:I haven't even tightened that screw :) Its very loose as I hadn't needed to use it for rigid filament.

I am not too thrilled iwht the flexi design. Access to the hobbed bolt is, well, non-existant. I have been penciling down sketches for a converted wades that would incorporate the tube but still give access to the hobbed bolt for cleaning.
I agree that there's probably a modification to the normal extruder that should work with flexible material... Probably just a matter of extending the lower extruder neck, reducing the gap to the hobbed bolt. This should reduce any kinks to the filament and retain use of the idler.

kmanley57

Post by kmanley57 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:05 pm

Wolfie wrote:I haven't even tightened that screw :) Its very loose as I hadn't needed to use it for rigid filament.
The problem is the PTFE tube does this:
|
( - hole for the bolt
|

when you put the hard filament through. The amount of the tube that is left there after the drilling is
small and it stretches/thins it out as the hard filament is pushed past the hobbed bolt.

Thus the fit is now loose there for the flexible filament. You are not gripping it as well and can get feeding/retraction problems. Ooze!