Bed Temp Change after uploading firmware on Taz5

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
dutchhome

Re: Bed Temp Change after uploading firmware on Taz5

Post by dutchhome » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:28 am

For comparison, here is a picture of the one I have.. Also, on this one both nozzles are .5.
flexydually.jpg
I'm sorry, but I'm definitely not an expert with this thing so I can't offer much else in the way of help.
Lulzbot TAZ 4.1
Upgraded to Hexagon Extruder
Converted old extruder to Flexystruder 1.1

kmanley57

Post by kmanley57 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:21 pm

dutchhome wrote:Thats a great idea. How are you connecting the thermistor? Did you put it in its own four pin connector?
Yes, I set it up to plug on to the second extruder pins, and when I change back to the dual I just unplug it and plug in the other head/carriage.
I will express my CRAZY ideas at any time! So you have been warned. None of my opinions are Lulzbots and can be wrong at any second.

Wolfie

Post by Wolfie » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:29 pm

Any reason a standard 100k resistor can't be used in the same way? Cheap and I got boxes of 1/8th watt resistors laying around. If the software isn't smart enough to realize its unplugged, I can't imagine its smart enough to tell that its exactly 100k and not changing :)

On another note....

The grand experiment begins. I want to see if I can build a better dualie.

I just ordered a Taz head (Hex) and two half height NEMA motors. I am about to start frankensteining this dualie. First out is going to be the primary extuder and the bowed sub-plate. I am going to replace the primary with a Hex and print a new sub-plate that will take the Hex and a budda secondary. I will use the old primary as the secondary for dual rigid filaments.

If that goes well, then I will get another Hex hot end and swap out the Budda for a hex and have a dualie with a pair of hex's.

Once I have that working, I think I am going to re-evaluate the flexi and its budda. I may opt for leaving it alone and just accpting the poor quality from flexible filament. I may also opt for a different hot end. Either Hex or maybe E3D to see if I can get better quality prints from the flexi.

This, of course, will turn into another thread though. This one barely has one wheel left on the tracks.
LulzBot Taz 5

kmanley57

Post by kmanley57 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:14 pm

Wolfie wrote:Any reason a standard 100k resistor can't be used in the same way? Cheap and I got boxes of 1/8th watt resistors laying around. If the software isn't smart enough to realize its unplugged, I can't imagine its smart enough to tell that its exactly 100k and not changing :)
It is more of having something there that pulls the sense pin down off the 5V rail. So around 100k will work, it would just think the read temp was about 25C, but being unused does not really matter?
I will express my CRAZY ideas at any time! So you have been warned. None of my opinions are Lulzbots and can be wrong at any second.

Wolfie

Post by Wolfie » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:28 pm

Well, I won't have time to fire it up tonight (gotta get the granddaughters in bed) but I think this is WRONG :)
As you can see, its warped in both the X and Y planes. No wonder I had a hell of a time getting it aligned. I am also wondering if it was warping during use and constantly changing. That, at least, would account for the extreme variation in positioning.

Here is the flexi-dualie rebuilt with a plate I printed:

I think that looks more like it should :)

Say, anyone got a low quantity source for those imbedded nuts that are in the old plate? I would like to put them in my plate, even if they aren't used right now.

Are there any tips for alignment while I have it dismounted? I mean is there anything mechanical I need to do after assembly?
LulzBot Taz 5

dutchhome

Post by dutchhome » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:20 pm

Wolfie wrote:Say, anyone got a low quantity source for those imbedded nuts that are in the old plate? I would like to put them in my plate, even if they aren't used right now.
I have a bag full of the small heatset inserts. Send me your address and I'll drop them in the mail for you.
Lulzbot TAZ 4.1
Upgraded to Hexagon Extruder
Converted old extruder to Flexystruder 1.1

billyd

Post by billyd » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:25 pm

How do you do the PID calibration?

Ps In simplify 3d, the Y axis is reversed from Slic3r. So the Gcode offsets you enter for tool 1 (the second extruder) have to have the same value for x, but for y, you need to put in the absolute (positive) value of the y value you entered in Slic3r

Wolfie

Post by Wolfie » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:24 pm

billyd wrote:How do you do the PID calibration?

Ps In simplify 3d, the Y axis is reversed from Slic3r. So the Gcode offsets you enter for tool 1 (the second extruder) have to have the same value for x, but for y, you need to put in the absolute (positive) value of the y value you entered in Slic3r
THAT explains a lot! You would have thought the guys from S3D would have mentioned that in at least one of their emails I got on this matter. Anyway, I have resorted to putting the offsets in the firmware, that way the gcode doesn't have to contain it. Think it will be easier in the long run. First print off the bed and I am within 1mm in the Y and looks like right on in the X. Printing test 2 right now.

As for the PID cal...

Send
M303 S230

Wait. It will ramp up to 230 deg (change the 230 if you got pla in the head). It will cycle several times. Finally it will cool. Be patient, this takes a few minutes. You will get a "complete" statement back. Wait until you see the complete because it reports P,I and D several times during the process, ignore those. The ones at the complete statmentwill spit out the 3 data points you need, Kp, Ki and Kd.

Send:
M301 Ppp.pp Ii.ii Dddd.dd

Repace pp.pp, i.ii, ddd.dd with readings from the test.

Send:
M500

This will store the setting.

Send:
M303 E-1 S100

This will heat the bed up and run the same test. Again, wait. Takes longer than the head.

Send:
M304 Ppp.pp Ii.ii Dddd.dd

Again, replace pp.pp, i.ii, ddd.dd with values returned.

Send:
M500

That stores the values in EPROM.

Now, I also edited my firmware copies and placed the lines in the firmware. Its in Configuration.h

I am working with the dualie which has budda hot ends so my firmware looks like this now:
// Buda 2.0 on 24V
#define DEFAULT_Kp 14.09
#define DEFAULT_Ki 0.75
#define DEFAULT_Kd 66.00

And for the bed:
//24V 360W silicone heater from NPH on 3mm borosilicate (TAZ 2.2+)
#define DEFAULT_bedKp 164.79
#define DEFAULT_bedKi 19.37
#define DEFAULT_bedKd 350.54

The bed will not change from dual extruder to single hex. The hot end settings WILL change. You will have to run the M303 command for each head. Also, there are no settings for the 2nd extruder, they are shared so you only need to run it once with the dualie.

To send the commands, you can use pronterface or the tools in S3D. All commands must be caps M303 not m303. S3D doesn't cap them for you, pronterface does. In S3D, turn off the "Verbose" check at the top to stop the temp monitor clutter when doing these tests.

For doing extruder calibrations, I made a handy tool with everything you need:
http://www.wolfiesden.com/TAZ/ExtruderCal.asp
LulzBot Taz 5

kcchen_00

Post by kcchen_00 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:47 pm

I think in S3D there is a check box yo flip the Y-axis... Its under one of the tabs in the general area of defining the bed size.

Wolfie

Post by Wolfie » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:34 pm

Well, I would have to say that the rebuild with the new plate was a success. Green is ABS coming out of the flexistruder, black abs from main extruder.
IMG_20150322_172530.jpg
I still gotta get retraction right as well as feed rates but as far as alignment goes, I think I got it darn close. Maybe 0.01mm off.
LulzBot Taz 5