Adding an Openbuilds Openrail x axis to a Lulzbot Taz 4/5

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
mikronano

Re: Adding an Openbuilds Openrail x axis to a Lulzbot Taz 4/5

Post by mikronano » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:24 pm

And then I thought about modifying the backplate in a way where it would be as 3D printed as possible. I got the idea from one of piercet's first implementations, where the plate had a shape like an "X".
I also needed a more firm way of tightening the belt. So, I came up with this:
Backplate#1.jpg
Backplate#2.jpg
Backplate#3.jpg
Backplate#4.jpg
Backplate#5.jpg
At first I thought about using Alloy 910. It's virtually indestructible but has more flex than abs and co-polyesters. So, again, I used nGen. Works like a charm. It takes two M3 heat inserts and the two M3 screws from the stock backplate. For the spacers the combinations are these:
- For fixed wheels: (1) 6mm spacer between the gantry and the v-rail and (1) 6mm spacer between the v-rail and the backplate
- For offset wheels: (1) 6mm eccentric spacer between the gantry and the v-rail and (1) 6mm spacer between the v-rail and the backplate
- For holes in between wheels (optional): (2) 9mm and (1) 6mm spacer to make up for the distance.

And here is the STEP file. I tried to upload the STL but it was too big.
Taz_Openbuild_X6_backplate.zip
(205.53 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
Number 6, all because I had to many trial&errors :geek:
Press a key to continue or any other key to quit

mikronano

Post by mikronano » Sun Feb 14, 2016 10:33 pm

piercet wrote:That turned out great! Nice job.

Did you have to make many firmware changes to get the volcano hotend working with the TAZ? I'm thinking I am going to need one of those to continue my speed trials.
Thanks!
I didn't do any change. Even the thermistor type is the same. Actually, I'm doing only one thing: fine tune the Marlin PID settings every time I change between Volcano, V6 and Hexagon just because these thermistors might be the same type but they always have slight differences one from the other, even when they come from the same manufacturer.
https://www.lulzbot.com/fine-tune-your- ... d-settings

I have the 2015Q1 firmware but I don't thing that it matters. Any other changes that I need to do, I make them in the slicing software. And it works, just like that.
Press a key to continue or any other key to quit

nbmoretto

Post by nbmoretto » Mon Feb 15, 2016 5:25 pm

When building the x-axis do you put all of the parts on to the rail and then screw that onto the z-axis screws? I'm trying to figure out the best assembly method. I'm having some issues where one of the z-axis motors doesn't step sometimes and the x-axis becomes unlevel

piercet

Post by piercet » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:57 pm

I bolt to the rail, bolt the endplates to the rail ends, square the endplates to the rail and lock the motor side endplates and end down, leaving the idler end loose. I then bolt the assembly to the leadscrews and bearings and re square. Ill then lock the idler side down, check for square and level, then run the z axes up and down several times.

SudoICE

Post by SudoICE » Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:52 pm

I sincerely apologize for not responding to PM's and requests for the back plates. Holidays, the new job, excuse, excuse, excuse. I still have some available. I just replied to PM's or sent paypal reqests to seven individuals who were interested before I disappeared over the last 60-ish days. I'm still shipping until they run out. $10 including shipping in the US. Again, my apologies in dropping the ball.

Rp1030

Post by Rp1030 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:32 pm

Here's some pictures of my first prints with the X Axis Mod (so much better than the stock rods).
Sorry if the pictures are a bit large (I hope I'm not breaking any rules) I'm still learning how big 800 pixels is.

And here's why I was never able to achieve such quality before (I bound the ends of the rods with cable ties for demonstration purposes)

piercet

Post by piercet » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:04 pm

I know what those red thingies are!

That definitely is a bit of a bent rod heh.

Rp1030

Post by Rp1030 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:16 pm

piercet wrote:I know what those red thingies are!
lol I was going to make people guess. My only problem (kinda) is that parts are sticking like never before, almost too well that I can't pry them off. And this is before I upgrade my heat bed to aluminum. I already put a few minor scratches on the bed using the stock oyster knife that came with the machine, not sure what else to use.

piercet

Post by piercet » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:22 pm

I actually use a calphalon gadgets brand cheese slicer plane with the spicy bits taped over with heavy tape. This one specifically http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SD ... 7PR5GV4TQF

A paint scraperalso works

Rp1030

Post by Rp1030 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:31 pm

piercet wrote:I actually use a calphalon gadgets brand cheese slicer plane with the spicy bits taped over with heavy tape. This one specifically http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SD ... 7PR5GV4TQF

A paint scraperalso works
Lol, so that's what you had covered in tape on your youtube video XD I actually have one of those, never thought to try it though.