Adding an Openbuilds Openrail x axis to a Lulzbot Taz 4/5

YMMV...
piercet

Adding an Openbuilds Openrail x axis to a Lulzbot Taz 4/5

Postby piercet » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:21 pm

New project! This time I want to see if I can't eliminate the X axis deflection from the unsupported rails of the TAZ. The project should be 100% bolt on, no firmware upgrades required, using existing hardware as much as possible. You will need some heat set inserts and some bolts, along with the following Openbuilds Openrail components:

1 60mm x 20mm Openbuilds linear extrusion, final length to be determined. http://openbuildspartstore.com/black-v- ... near-rail/
4 sets of bearing wheels (http://openbuildspartstore.com/xtreme-s ... wheel-kit/ or other sets) ,
2 spacers (6mm probably) http://openbuildspartstore.com/aluminum-spacers/
2 eccentric spacers http://openbuildspartstore.com/eccentric-spacer/
one of their Gantry mounting plates. http://openbuildspartstore.com/v-slot-gantry-plates/
Bolts and nuts (M5, Lengths to be determined.)

I'll get more specific on that when i get closer to having this operational, but I am still tuning some of this so part list may change

This bolts in place of the existing X axis printed pieces. I wanted to include a Y belt tensioner, so the idler pully can be adjusted inwards. I'm not 100% happy with what I came up with for the motor mount, but its about the only way it fits in there without drilling holes in the openrail so you can screw the motor in place or offsetting the mounting points a rediculous amount. There will be a Taz style plate overlay for the gantry plate for now, I may work up something different further into this one. Right now the X carriage will have about twice the mass of the stock TAZ one, but there will be zero bearing deflection. For me that trade off is worth it, but I intend to try and shed as much weight from the carriage parts as I can where it is safe to do so.

IMG_1877.JPG

IMG_1876.JPG

IMG_1875.JPG

OpenXEnd.jpg
Last edited by piercet on Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piercet

Re: Adding an Openbuilds Openrail to a Lulzbot Taz 4/5

Postby piercet » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:22 pm

More pictures

openidler.jpg

openX.jpg

OpenBeltMount.jpg

OpenYendcap.jpg

piercet

Postby piercet » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:24 pm

Design files. These are Open source, Attribution under the GNU/GPL V3 open source license. As always, other formats are available upon request.
Attachments
Taz_OpenRail_Xmotor_Mount_lid_1_0_a.stl
(162.88 KiB) Downloaded 78 times
Taz_OpenRail_XMotor_Endcap_8_4_b.stl
(238.75 KiB) Downloaded 62 times
Taz_Openrail_X_belt_bracket_1_0_a.stl
(131.14 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Taz_OpenRail_Idler_Tensioner_1_0_a.stl
(210.63 KiB) Downloaded 66 times
Taz_OpenRail_Idler_Endcap_1_0_a.stl
(297.84 KiB) Downloaded 65 times

piercet

Postby piercet » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:25 pm

Another file

Edit: I'll post some better assembly pictures once I get a bit more things tuned. I need some longer bolts for the X carriage or a redesign of the back bracket (metal plate is a possibility) and I need to get all the actoual mounting hardware on them. The belt tensioner works by tightening the two screws that protrude outside the endcap. once the belt is tightened, two M5 bolts are bolted to the openrail itself, locking the idler in place.

The X motor mount seems to be pretty solid. I am worried that it will work loose over time, and there just isn't really room to use the larger M5 heat set inserts there. I can't bolt it from the other side because then you can't attach the assembly to the rail. If anyone has a better idea for mounting that in the space available, with the understanding that it has to be all the way over at the edge to not lose X travel, please let me know.
Attachments
Taz_Openrail_xmotor_Mount_mainblock_1_0_a.stl
(317.66 KiB) Downloaded 66 times

piercet

Postby piercet » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:30 pm

This will also fit my AO-10x ballscrew modification by the way.

piercet

Postby piercet » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:21 pm

I've decided the back bracket is going to have to be a plate. Anything I can print strong enough is going to be too heavy.

cnr0616

Postby cnr0616 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:33 am

Last edited by cnr0616 on Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

piercet

Postby piercet » Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:03 pm

I actually have a half drawn y axis modification along those lines. It probably is going to require a y bed plate modification as well so that isn't ready to go yet. The open rail x mod is about the same volume level near as I can tell. It might be a little quieter from some angles due to the mass between the motor.

FireCoding

Postby FireCoding » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:30 pm

This is fantastic!

Would you be willing to share the parts in a parametric format like .ipt?

piercet

Postby piercet » Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:39 pm

The forum apperently isn't going to let me attach an ipt file here, or at 15mb it's too big. I have no problem at all sending you the file though if you want to PM me a location i can post it to, or an e-mail I can send it to that will accept a larger file.

Definitly no problem sharing this or any of my other open source projects in whatever format I can output to that will help.

Return to “Hardware”