Adding an Openbuilds Openrail x axis to a Lulzbot Taz 4/5

YMMV...
piercet

Re: Adding an Openbuilds Openrail x axis to a Lulzbot Taz 4/5

Postby piercet » Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:33 pm

Your welcome!

The parts supplied by openbuilds themselves for a full x y z setup run $216.86 currently (I think that includes shipping) , and there is another $80-ish in bolts, heat set inserts, not counting the micrometer barrel option for z which I have sourced in the past for around $40, but that source dried up. Plastic for a full x y z setup ends up being most of a 5lb roll ($79) with the drill guides. That's all just parts, no labor or print time, etc. The anti wobble hardware is about $16.50 and $7 worth of plastic.

That assumes the y belt tensioner, nozzle wiper, etc. Without those the hardware cost goes down $10 or so.

Swarm

Postby Swarm » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:48 am

piercet wrote:Your welcome!

The parts supplied by openbuilds themselves for a full x y z setup run $216.86 currently (I think that includes shipping) , and there is another $80-ish in bolts, heat set inserts, not counting the micrometer barrel option for z which I have sourced in the past for around $40, but that source dried up. Plastic for a full x y z setup ends up being most of a 5lb roll ($79) with the drill guides. That's all just parts, no labor or print time, etc. The anti wobble hardware is about $16.50 and $7 worth of plastic.

That assumes the y belt tensioner, nozzle wiper, etc. Without those the hardware cost goes down $10 or so.

Ok great man, you're a definate champ. Work for lulzbot yet? ;)

Could you quote me for the XYZ Kit, 5lb roll of Lulzbot green ABS (ill print myself) and shipping to Australia? Via PM is fine :)

C_Duncan

Postby C_Duncan » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:13 am

@Piercet - Thank you for your generous contributions. As stated above, I hope Lulzbot pays you. Your expertise is one of the reasons I have gotten such good results on the Taz!. I think that I will go ahead with the openrail updates later this spring. Looks like a bit of work but totally worth it.

piercet

Postby piercet » Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:08 pm

Swarm wrote:
Ok great man, you're a definate champ. Work for lulzbot yet? ;)

Could you quote me for the XYZ Kit, 5lb roll of Lulzbot green ABS (ill print myself) and shipping to Australia? Via PM is fine :)

Heh, thanks. I actually work for a state government agency in Washington State as a Server and Network administrator for my day job.

I'll send you a PM tonight when i get home with that info. I have most of the costs and whatnot written down from the last ones, but they are at home. I do know that shipping to Australia from here is definitly not inexpensive. There are also some opttions to consider too.

Swarm

Postby Swarm » Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:41 pm

piercet wrote:Heh, thanks. I actually work for a state government agency in Washington State as a Server and Network administrator for my day job.

I'll send you a PM tonight when i get home with that info. I have most of the costs and whatnot written down from the last ones, but they are at home. I do know that shipping to Australia from here is definitely not inexpensive. There are also some options to consider too.

Hey mate, any update on this?

piercet

Postby piercet » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:16 am

Swarm wrote:
piercet wrote:Heh, thanks. I actually work for a state government agency in Washington State as a Server and Network administrator for my day job.

I'll send you a PM tonight when i get home with that info. I have most of the costs and whatnot written down from the last ones, but they are at home. I do know that shipping to Australia from here is definitely not inexpensive. There are also some options to consider too.

Hey mate, any update on this?

Whoops, I forgot about this, sorry, I'l send you a PM here shortly

catzcradle

Postby catzcradle » Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:42 pm

After a few hours I found myself missing a couple parts I forgot to order, so my build is on hold for a couple days. Quick question thought. Is the belt bracket the printed version of the backplate? I didn't see anything in the instructions for working with that part vs the metal backplate.

piercet

Postby piercet » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:28 am

catzcradle wrote:After a few hours I found myself missing a couple parts I forgot to order, so my build is on hold for a couple days. Quick question thought. Is the belt bracket the printed version of the backplate? I didn't see anything in the instructions for working with that part vs the metal backplate.

Yes that's the printed version. The only real difference is you need 5mm longer bolts to use it

catzcradle

Postby catzcradle » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:05 pm

Thanks. Should have the missing screws and spacers by wed so I can finish this all up. Already have the z-wobble device in the printer I'm converting. Pictures of where I am. I did remodel the printed backplate to use the stock style belt locks so that the open ends come off the backplate at the approximate center of where the screw and spacer part was in your design.
onenrail1.jpg
openrail2.jpg

piercet

Postby piercet » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:07 pm

That looks like it's coming along nicely! One minor thing, the green extruder mount notch will go on the other side of that purple plate when you go to assemble it. That allows the 6 recess holes to fit over the bolt heads for the backplate bolts.

Return to “Hardware”