Adding an Openbuilds Openrail x axis to a Lulzbot Taz 4/5

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
entity-unknown

Re: Adding an Openbuilds Openrail x axis to a Lulzbot Taz 4/5

Post by entity-unknown » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:13 pm

I am very interested in this project. I have a TAZ 5 on the way and plan to build large ABS parts for the motorcycle among other things so accuracy will be key. I'm also posting so I can follow :)

Thank you for you ingenuity and all your dedicated effort on this project piercet! It was a lot of your posts that helped me with the decision and confidence in this very expensive purchase. You are a model citizen of the DIY community!

piercet

Post by piercet » Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:40 pm

Glad you are enjoying the projects so far, it is always nice to get some feedback from people on how these are going and I thank you for your kind words! Good luck with your motorcycle projects, and if you think of anything you would like to see for a printer, let me know.

Tim

pepperoni

Post by pepperoni » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:35 pm

@piercet:

What size spacer are you using for single hole end of the belt bracket? Have you or anyone else had a chance to try out the printed bracket?

Also, do you remember what length you cut the extrusion to? I need to go buy a fine toothed blade for my miter because I want nice neat cuts this time :)

piercet

Post by piercet » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:45 pm

The single hole end has a pair of spacers on it actually. An extra 6mm spacer from openbuilds, and a larger 19mm (3/4") thick one from home depot. There may also be a washer or two in there. Your goal is to equil the thickness of the wheels and spacers used below.

I've printed the old printed bracket, but I never bolted it up. It may have the upper hole in the wrong spot by 16mm, since thats how far off the oritgional machined bracket was. I'll finish the replacement one tonight.

I have the cutoff piece of extrusion somewhere still, I'll measure that and post it later tonight when I get back

pepperoni

Post by pepperoni » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:38 pm

Yeah, I noticed that it was off a bit. I figure maybe I can play around with how I bolt the wheels in, but no matter what I did it was either off, or the plate that goes in the back then became off.

I'll likely just 3d print a spacer then

piercet

Post by piercet » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:43 pm

The chunk I cut off of the 10mm x 60mm rail for the X axis was 64mm long. I never measured the rail ahead of time, I assumed it was 500mm. The X axis design is set up to allow up to a - 15mm "'too short" rail. That gave me a 5mm gap that I could move either end block in or out as needed.

Working on the backplate now, will post it in about 10 minutes.

piercet

Post by piercet » Sat Oct 03, 2015 9:58 pm

Here's the corrected backplate:
Attachments
Taz_Openrail_X_belt_bracket_2_0_a.stl
(156.82 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

pepperoni

Post by pepperoni » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:52 pm

Thanks! I'm going to print it out to try. By the way, What are those pegs that you used to wrap the belt around with?

piercet

Post by piercet » Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:34 pm

I had a pair of threaded 1/2" spacers laying around. So they are a 1/4" bolt, the backplare, a nut, a washer, the spacer, another washer and another nut. You could also use tubing or a nonthreaded spacer. Even the bare bolt should be ok. I wanted to avoid long term wear on the belt loops but the teeth are thick enough that the threads wouldn't wear all the way through anyways.

pepperoni

Post by pepperoni » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:25 am

What do you think about using 4 holes for the back plate rather than 3? What about building a belt holder onto it like some of the prusa i3 x carriages on thingiverse?