Adding an Openbuilds Openrail x axis to a Lulzbot Taz 4/5

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
piercet

Re: Adding an Openbuilds Openrail x axis to a Lulzbot Taz 4/5

Post by piercet » Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:49 am

There are 3 holes along the bottom, and one up on the top. You could put a second one on the top, but I felt that the three units on the bottom would be sufficient to limit torsion, and the thickness of the part would limit flex. Not sure where else you would be talking about adding a hole. You could rotate the motor and idler pulley ore use foldout tabs, but that would add complexity to the mounting solution for the motor and make it harder to print.

pepperoni

Post by pepperoni » Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:31 pm

Oh yeah I'm not sure how I didnt notice the third hole at the bottom. I was just thinking we could make it a "square" design and just use the same bolt pattern and just use a longer bolt for where the wheels go. We would then be using the same sized spacers

piercet

Post by piercet » Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:43 pm

Something like this one?
Attachments
Openrail_square_backplate_1_0_a.stl
(204.87 KiB) Downloaded 96 times

pepperoni

Post by pepperoni » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:26 pm

Ohh yes.. I think that might be "easier" for me. I'll try the one I got from thingiverse first since I already printed it. if I'm not going to get the spacing right then I'll print this one and see. I just got a shipments of bolts and locknuts in today :)

piercet

Post by piercet » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:43 pm

Ok, great, let me know if it needs any tweaks. I really need to finish the leveling probe mount for the backplate soon too.

Ethan-B

Post by Ethan-B » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:46 am

What did you do to get that glow and the words TAZ at the front of your printer? It looks really cool and I'd love to add that to my own printer.

piercet

Post by piercet » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:56 am

Ethan-B wrote:What did you do to get that glow and the words TAZ at the front of your printer? It looks really cool and I'd love to add that to my own printer.
Thank you!

The build thread and part STL's for that particular modification are located here: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2134 in the "add status indicator lights to your TAZ" thread. You will need some electronics (you can buy that as an assembly from Makers Tool Works, it's basically the same one used in the Mendelmax 3 or separatly from other sources), you have to tie those electronics to the I2C pins on your Rambo board (which are currently unoccupied) and you have to tie into power to power the LED's Then there are a couple of firmware pieces that need adjustment / adding. The firmware files in that thread should work for a Taz 4. i haven't added my hexagon hotend to my printer yet, so I haven't finished a Taz 5 version of the firmware yet, but that will be coming fairly soon. I'm just waiting on the extruder fans.

I would rate that project at about the same complexity as installing a dual extruder setup on your TAZ. The modification itself will work and fit on a Taz 3 and up. If you have any questions or need to see details of the installation, etc. let me know!

pepperoni

Post by pepperoni » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:32 pm

I cut my rail but looks like I need to make an order for some different length m5 screws. The 4 hole belt plate looks good! (Thank you)

Here's a picture of the cut end of the openrail. I used a 100 tooth saw and the end I cut looks nicer than the other end.
IMG_9318.JPG

piercet

Post by piercet » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:12 pm

You're welcome! That cut came out really nice. What type of 100 tooth blade was it? I may need to get one of those.

With the plastic back plate I suppose it would indeed need longer screws than I used heh. Let me know which ones end up fitting

pepperoni

Post by pepperoni » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:55 pm

Ordered 16mm and 25mm using my caliper to roughly estimate. These were the sizes that were available on amazon. If it's too long, it'll just be a mm or two so then i'd probably print a thin spacer for it.

The blade is from home depot and it's actually a 96 tooth. I clamped the aluminum extrusion to a piece of 2x4 and then clamped the extrusion again to the guide on the miter saw. The reason for the wood is so that when cutting metal, if it heats up, it will not melt the plastic part of the saw below the blade.
IMG_9321.JPG
IMG_9322.JPG
IMG_9323.JPG