Adding an Openbuilds Openrail Y axis to a Taz 3/4/5

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
piercet

Re: Adding an Openbuilds Openrail Y axis to a Taz 3/4/5

Post by piercet » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:11 am

I redid the two optional X allignment plates since the motor one was just flat out wrong. I never noticed that the front and back plate are actually a completely different shape. OOps. Anyways, they are fixed now. Printing the back one now, once it's done I'll post pictures.

I also redid the drill guide plate with an optional connected piece. it uses a bunch more plastic, is thicker, but should help better allign the drill holes. You will want to print two, and line them up in the X axis with extreme precision (side to side) front to back allignment doesn't matter as much as long as they are square.
Attachments
Taz_Openbuild_Y_Endplate_Reinforcement_Motor_3_0_c.stl
(119.42 KiB) Downloaded 42 times
Taz_Openbuild_Y_Endplate_Reinforcement_Idler_2_0_c.stl
(103.4 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
Combined Drill Guide Plate.stl
(315.71 KiB) Downloaded 56 times

piercet

Post by piercet » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:36 pm

Here is a picture of the completed front and back reinforcement plate on the machine. The final parts are also below.
IMG_2084.JPG
IMG_2093.JPG
Attachments
Taz_Openbuild_Y_Endplate_Reinforcement_Idler_2_0_c.stl
(103.4 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Taz_Openbuild_Y_Endplate_Reinforcement_Motor_3_0_c.stl
(119.42 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

Lo Ryuken

Post by Lo Ryuken » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:28 am

Is there something unusual with the holes in the Combined Drill Guide Plate?

When I import it into Simplify3D, preview mode shows the holes being filled in. Printing does fill the holes in as well.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2016-01-23 at 11.24.52 PM.png

Lo Ryuken

Post by Lo Ryuken » Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:39 am

I was able to change the layer height in Simplify3D from .25mm to .2499mm. Now it slices fine. Guess it's a Simplify3D thing.

piercet

Post by piercet » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:43 pm

huh, wierd. The part looks manifold, and it was one of the simpler extrusions so it shouldn't have any internal wierdness. Glad you got it working though!

Lo Ryuken

Post by Lo Ryuken » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:54 pm

I'm getting ready to drill the bed plate, and am attaching the drill guides.

One thing though, how do I attach them? The 16 screws that were previously used are quite small compared to the 16 holes drilled in the bed plate and allow for lots of play...kinda defeating the purpose of the drill guides.

piercet

Post by piercet » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:02 pm

Either bigger screws, or just clamp them down really tight with the existing ones, using a T square to the bed edge to get them lined up and in place. I used the clamp method. If you lightly tighten them and then force them to the outer edges of the hole that should also stabilize the allignment.

Lo Ryuken

Post by Lo Ryuken » Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:05 pm

Sounds good. Thanks for the quick response!

[edit] I wound up using drywall screws to hold the drill guides in place. They matched the diameter of the already drilled 16 holes near-perfect and allowed me to secure the bed at the same time.

piercet

Post by piercet » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:00 pm

Nice, good trick to know!

mikronano

Post by mikronano » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:35 pm

Hi piercet,
Very good job with all these mods!

I finally got all the pieces and now I'm in the process of upgrading my TAZ5. I started with the Y-axis since it seemed to me the most easy to do. But then I hit a couple of problems. If I'm not mistaken, you work on a TAZ4. And it seems that Aleph has made some minor changes to TAZ5. I got mine on May, 2015.

The first problem is with the motor mount, where the top screws are lowered by about 4mm. As a result, I had to "destroy" your endplate as you can see at the picture below:
EndPlateOffset#.jpg
And then, right after I had the holes for the wheels drilled, I found out that there is a 2.5-3mm offset between the fixed and the offset wheels. Center to center distance in your design is about 19.1mm. In my case is about 19.4mm. So I had to drill new holes only to find out then that I had issues with the endstop switch and then with the belt and finally after a few more drills I ended up with a "swiss cheese" bed plate!!
BedPlateOffset#.jpg
Could you please post the .step files for the endplates? So that I can do the fine tuning for my version of TAZ? ...after I have finished putting everything back together successfully!

Thanks
Press a key to continue or any other key to quit