Adding an Openbuilds Openrail Y axis to a Taz 3/4/5

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
ansonwing

Re: Adding an Openbuilds Openrail Y axis to a Taz 3/4/5

Post by ansonwing » Thu May 12, 2016 12:12 am

Ended up getting the shorter heat set inserts. Needed them for the Z wobble upgrade anyways. Got all the parts ordered, and excited to see the results with this upgrade!

idiot

Post by idiot » Thu May 12, 2016 12:48 pm

Has anyone tried using these V slot rails to mill aluminium? Are they rigid enough? I imagine all the debris will get caught up in the rails and cause havoc with the wheels.

piercet

Post by piercet » Thu May 12, 2016 12:56 pm

There actually is one put out by the Openbuilds people

http://www.openbuilds.com/builds/openbu ... chine.341/

It reportedly works well

idiot

Post by idiot » Thu May 12, 2016 1:33 pm

piercet wrote:There actually is one put out by the Openbuilds people

http://www.openbuilds.com/builds/openbu ... chine.341/

It reportedly works well
That's exactly what I'm looking at. I'm on a budget and the Ox CNC is available in the UK at low cost. Its main job will be cutting polycarbonate and acrylic sheets, regardless of aluminium capabilities that's something we definitely need in our workshop, but we do have one off or small run jobs that need to be done in aluminium which at present are all being outsourced to a local engineer. It's not a massive problem as he's quick at getting jobs done and his work is excellent, but it would be better to be able to do some of these ourselves and some of the more outlandish requests we get which we'd currently swat away, I could have a go at.

Engineers on the cnc forums seem to be of the opinion these routers are a waste of money and won't get anything done, but there's proof online with video's of people cutting aluminium with them, although it seems most folks seem to be using them for cutting wood. The xcarve, shapeoko3 and a chinese 6040 are other potential candidates.

I was just wondering if anyone on here had any experience at trying it, or anyone with knowledge has an opinion on its suitability.

piercet

Post by piercet » Thu May 12, 2016 3:56 pm

Aluminum extrusions in general can work well for a cnc mill, and the openrails extrusions would likely be fine for what you are looking at. I would definitely go with the solid metal wheels for that application, the rigidity would be worth the additional noise.. You also would want to make sure you used thick enough extrusions for the bearing surfaces. The "C Beam" http://openbuildspartstore.com/c-beam-linear-rail/ extrusions are going to be the best bet for a mill, and if you can sister in a steel plate anywhere on those assemblies, you will end up with a fairly nice overall structure. A better solution is a recirculating ball linear rail mounted on an aluminum extrusion or similar structure to deal with the point loads over a larger surface

You can see my own CNC mill here if you like: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1497102 . I have cut an Aluminum plate with it now, it seems to work fine for that with a bit of mist cooling and shallow passes. I definitely wouldn't attempt steel with this thing though.

moejt

Post by moejt » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:14 pm

Just finished upgrading my X-axis, Y-axis, extruder carriage and extruder body.

Prints great. My Y-axis has zero wobble when cold. However I have discovered I develop a slight wobble in the vertical direction with the aluminum plate when the bed heats up. The aluminum bed in the X and Y direction seems to be solid. But I've found I can almost lift it up just slightly when warm.

Obviously thermal expansion and all of that such what not. But I was curious if others were experiencing anything similar? Might be something as simple as tightening wheel bolts (although anymore tightening will most likely translate to a lot more drag/friction).

Just figured I'd ask the community first before I start ripping everything apart first.

piercet

Post by piercet » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:56 pm

Mine doesn't flex when warm or cold. It may just need some adjustment on the cam wheel when warm.

skinbo

Post by skinbo » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:52 am

Piercet,
Do you recommend securing the drill guides to the bed using the holes you provided in the template for the original bearing holders? That would eliminate the need for precision clamping, correct?

piercet

Post by piercet » Fri Jun 10, 2016 7:48 am

Yes. You want to basically center the drill guide plates on those holes and then use the m3 bolts from the old bearing mounts to exert clamp force down on the guide.

skinbo

Post by skinbo » Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:26 am

Thanks. I see you recommend printing 2 of the guides. How do you ensure the drill holes are perfectly aligned along the y-axis? For instance, how to ensure alignment of the left hole of the top guide and the left hole of the bottom guide.