Adding an Openbuilds Openrail Y axis to a Taz 3/4/5

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
piercet

Re: Adding an Openbuilds Openrail Y axis to a Taz 3/4/5

Post by piercet » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:37 pm

discojon wrote:Piercet,

Thanks for this! If you want to feel free to include the acrylic front and rear mounts. The file is on thingiverse and in this thread. If you would like I'll update it to have the center hole for the tension adjustment.

Ok, cool I'll add that to the document. I have a set here that you sent me that I can use for pictures too!

Unrelated, would anyone be interested in an instructions guide on the "blinky light box of doom" on the front of my Y axis? It's alot of wiring and firmware coding to get that working, but if there is interest I'll write it up.

piercet

Post by piercet » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:39 pm

I'm also going to put the manual up again on this page since it dropped back a page after 2 posts heh.
Attachments
Instructions for adding an Openbuilds Y axis to the Lulzbot Taz 3 4 5 or 6 3d printer 1_0_a.pdf
(14.57 MiB) Downloaded 86 times

koniglar

Post by koniglar » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:28 pm

Unrelated, would anyone be interested in an instructions guide on the "blinky light box of doom" on the front of my Y axis? It's alot of wiring and firmware coding to get that working, but if there is interest I'll write it up.
Yeah, I'm interested.
I have some addressable LED's left over from an Ambilight project, and have been trying to think of something to do with them.
I have to check, but I think they're 2812's like you had used.

piercet

Post by piercet » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:47 pm

koniglar wrote:
Yeah, I'm interested.
I have some addressable LED's left over from an Ambilight project, and have been trying to think of something to do with them.
I have to check, but I think they're 2812's like you had used.

Alright, I'll probably base the instructions off the controller package availabel here since it's nearly identical to what I have http://store.makerstoolworks.com/product-p/445.htm It will probably be a bit after the Z axis instructions get done. Once those are all done I can get back to making new thingies

koniglar

Post by koniglar » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:57 pm

Sounds good to me.

ChinookTx

Post by ChinookTx » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:09 am

What a cool project!!!

Did anyone ever machine aluminum front and back plates for this? I'd be interested in getting a set for a TAZ6 (which ends up being 2 TAZ5 motor plates if I'm not mistaken).

piercet

Post by piercet » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:18 pm

ChinookTx wrote:What a cool project!!!

Did anyone ever machine aluminum front and back plates for this? I'd be interested in getting a set for a TAZ6 (which ends up being 2 TAZ5 motor plates if I'm not mistaken).
DiscoJohn did make single piece milled Acryllic plates. You can see what they look like in this picture http://www.thingiverse.com/make:240974

If you PM him here he probably stiill has some available.

cfipilot

Post by cfipilot » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:15 pm

discojon wrote:
ansonwing wrote:Those look awesome! Are you able cut them out of metal as well?
I can once I get my router back running in a couple weeks. Really though, I think the acrylic will be great for this application. I'll post the dxf also so anyone can make their own.
Y_acrylic_mount_combined.dxf

Is it the same for the front and back.

piercet

Post by piercet » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:21 pm

The idler block is narrower than the motor mount on the taz 5. You'll also want to add the hole for the y axis pensioner if you go that route.

discojon

Post by discojon » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:31 am

I've updated the DXF to include the new hole for your tension adjustment.
Y_axis.png
Y_acrylic_mount_combined.dxf
(80.49 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
TAZ 5, Open rails X,Y,Z. Marlin 1.1 RC2. Mangrove dual fan, reinforced extruder mount