What should we make next?

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
Brent.I
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

What should we make next?

Post by Brent.I » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:28 am

Aleph Objects, Inc. is a Free Software, Libre Innovation, and Open Source Hardware company. We currently manufacture the LulzBot line of desktop 3D printers, and sell parts and plastics. What do you think we should make next?

nbmoretto

Re: What should we make next?

Post by nbmoretto » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:31 am

A laser cutter platform. I believe that glowforge took a great approach to the laser cutter but I would love to see an opensource project that can accomplish the same thing. https://glowforge.com/

mirage335

Post by mirage335 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:48 am

More diverse line of 3D printers, or more customizations, straight from factory. Offer all-metal framing. Offer OpenBuilds linear bearings. Offer laser/microscope attachments. Offer milling spindles. Offer inkjet heads. Offer different depth probes. Generic CNC platforms, like cars, seem to have a lot of "accessories" that can suit an individual driver's preferences. At least for metal brackets and OpenBuilds hardware, there seems to be demand on these forums.

Electronics assembly automation, specifically pick-in-place, also seems to have underserved demand.

Of course, I am a bit biased, having been attempting these things myself, but nonetheless, I submit the basic premise for consideration.

Sebastian

Post by Sebastian » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:38 pm

mirage335 wrote:More diverse line of 3D printers, or more customizations, straight from factory. Offer all-metal framing. Offer OpenBuilds linear bearings. Offer laser/microscope attachments. Offer milling spindles.
*Suscribe* 8-)

piercet

Post by piercet » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:25 pm

nbmoretto wrote:A laser cutter platform. I believe that glowforge took a great approach to the laser cutter but I would love to see an opensource project that can accomplish the same thing. https://glowforge.com/
They could make one of these pretty easily once I upload the STL's somewhere...
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=3479 Part cost for that was around $230 for a one-off. (laser was $100, Controll circuitry was $50, Motors and belts $30) In bulk from different suppliers you could probably get it down further, though the enclosure would probably cost a bit more if you don't get lucky and find a fleet of surplus metal printer cabinet boxes for $5 each like I did heh.

I'd like to see a "pro" version of the Taz, maybe with a smothieboard or duet board core. There is a small but growing market for a completely solid, built and no adjustment required printer that can outperform the Stratsys machines at the $3-$5k pricepoint. There would also be a market for a larger machine, but again that would be somewhat limited.

You could look at CNC manufacturing, but thats a pretty crowded market. That would give you theoretically an in house milling capability though which might come in handy.

There's always the ROV market!

There is definitly room for improvement in the 3d scanner market too. That reminds me I need to finish the BQ scanner frame redesign sometime in here.

There is also a market for small specialty machine tools. If you look at a micromark catalog there are all sorts of small bandsaws and sanders and whatnot selling for $300. An open source version of any of those tools, or even a desktop small version of something modular and upgradeable along the lines of a shopsmith Mk 7 (http://www.shopsmith.com/markvsite/index.htm) would be of interest.
Last edited by piercet on Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geburges

Post by geburges » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:00 pm

A small (size of the TAZ), inexpensive, open source CNC mill capable of working wood, plastic, aluminum, etc. Extra points for being able to work steel. :) Add-ons might include continuous liquid cooling and a forth axis.
George B. (TAZ 5)

discojon

Post by discojon » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:17 pm

TAZ pro, openbuilds rails, linear bearings,sensors for filament width, auto leveling, three point bed leveling, drop in beds, strengthen extruder mount, other extruder options(Cyclops) ...
TAZ 5, Open rails X,Y,Z. Marlin 1.1 RC2. Mangrove dual fan, reinforced extruder mount

mirage335

Post by mirage335 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:27 pm

+1 to piercet's suggestion regarding Duet electronics

OpenBuilds hardware does seem popular. Would also like to see Y-axis twisting eliminated though, as it is difficult to adjust.

Disagree with drop-in beds, at least as a standard/default feature. Keeping these things aligned is tough enough already.

@geburgess See http://www.taigtools.com/cmill.html .

kcchen_00

Post by kcchen_00 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:18 pm

I'd say a CNC is the next natural progression for a maker-enabler ;/ CAM company. Unfortunately, the market is pretty saturated with kits and even open source designs.

The ideas of "enhancement add-ons" is interesting also. I wouldn't mind a kit for the X-axis openbeam and offically supported capacitance auto-leveling. Of course both these diverge from the original TAZ design.

discojon

Post by discojon » Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:44 am

I'd like to see a CNC Plasma table in the $4-6k range :D I'm considering building one soon anyway but that would be nice.
TAZ 5, Open rails X,Y,Z. Marlin 1.1 RC2. Mangrove dual fan, reinforced extruder mount