What should we make next?

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
mirage335

Re: What should we make next?

Post by mirage335 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:51 pm

@gghouck
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2559&hilit=tazmega&start=20
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3193&p=20829&hilit=tazmega#p20829
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3169&p=20828&hilit ... ool#p20828

Both TazMega and TazStiff are heavy-duty machines intended to use CNC milling, single-mode UV laser cutting, microscope, and extruder tools. TazMega in particular has up to 600mm * 600mm build volume capacity and uses high-strength threaded rod drive. MightyTool is a compact system of mounting hardware for these tools.

All this is intended to be capable of PCB fabrication, among other things. For PCB fabrication, first the mill would drill holes, second the laser would vaporize or expose a resist.

Also, if you are intrested, I have followed the 'traditional' photolithography and isolation milling PCB fabrication processes.
https://wiki.hacdc.org/index.php/Catego ... hy_PCB_Fab

suntorn

Post by suntorn » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:56 am

Biolumo wrote:
suntorn wrote:
Biolumo wrote:from a open source software perspective someone pumping huge funding and/or hiring lots of programmers to develop open source CAD is desperately needed. The only viable and user friendly CAD in my opinion is Solidworks. But it is expensive, not open, and tied to a non-open operating system (not cross platform). Despite this it is still my software of choice even though i am a native linux user, and even AO has used it extensively to design the lulzbot mini. Freecad has potential, but it sucks. It's interface is clunky and does not have an intuitive interface like solidworks. Blender is beautiful 3d software, but it's way to complex and is not designed with CAD use in mind. If someone could take the beauty and elegance of blender, mix in a little bit of freecad and then top it off with the best features of Solidworks we would have a winner.
Have you tried autodesk 123d design? I tried so many different programs, and was not impressed, so about 6 months ago I downloaded a free copy of 123d design, and now I can model any complex designs in minutes, with ease. I love this program, and they updated out with many new features.
Yes. I believe i had to upgrade my graphics card to try it (not a big deal). It's not half bad, but there were a few things i could not figure out how to do that should have been simple. I may try it again at some point. But the bigger issue with 123D is that while it is free (don't believe it is open source) is that it is for the Windows and Mac operating systems ONLY. Since i am a Linux user this is the same problem with Solidworks and nearly all other major CAD software available. Having said that i find it potentially more usable than tinkercad which is a web-based software also from Autodesk which i found no use for.

I haven't had a chance to try Autodesk Inventor, which also now has a free download option. And is probably the best alternative to Solidworks from what I've heard. But again i believe it is a Windows or Mac download only. I may give it a try anyway at some point just to see how it performs though.

I have also even tried the new free web-based CAD package OnShape (https://www.onshape.com/) which is interestingly created by the original solidworks team. But sadly i found it to be less usable than 123D Design despite it being operating system neutral. And contrary to what other people might like i really don't like cloud based CAD software. I prefer to have a downloadable program, it's just easier to me and fits my tastes and freedoms.
I hear that! The lack of Linux compatability is why I eventually scrapped linux for windows 10. I know it is shit but it's easier lol. If you do decide to use 123d design just know that anything can be done in it. Just check out a you tube tutorial, especially if you are making mechanical parts!

mirage335

Post by mirage335 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:16 am

Seriously, if you like Autodesk123d, instead, consider using FreeCAD with the assembly module.

piercet

Post by piercet » Tue Apr 05, 2016 11:07 am

Cookies! They should bake us all cookies!

(Chocolate chip cookies in the shape of a 3d printer!)

gghouck

Post by gghouck » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:24 pm

itzac wrote:I would like to see more tool heads for the Mini.

Specifically:
- A 0.35mm tool head or hot end that is compatible with the Mini.
- A lazer cutting tool, and a compatible bed, either as a cover or drop-in replacement for the existing bed.
- A milling tool and a bed to go with it.
You can get .35 nozzles for the mini, no need to change toolheads.

Biolumo

Post by Biolumo » Fri May 06, 2016 10:55 am

+1 for Aleph Objects monetary support for OctoPrint.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4386

But also, it would be nice if you were able to make mounting holes in the Lulzbot mini frame to mount a Raspberry Pi 3 in your next frame revision. There seems to be some holes already there that i assume are for a BeagleBone Black. I was able to use two of those on mine, but i had to manually drill two new holes as well. For future purchases it would be nice if those holes were premade.

Some have also requested that Octoprint setup's be a possible add-on feature officially from A.O. If you do decide to do that it might not be a bad idea to create/sell a 5v regulator add-on to the 24v power supply with a female USB connector. I added one to mine and used a nibbler tool to take a tiny chunk of metal out of my case so a flat usb cable can power my Raspberry Pi 3 from inside my Lulzbot Mini. I used the power supply as a giant heat sink for the little 2.5A 5v regulator to mount onto. So far seems to be working out nice.

Weekend_warrior1999

Post by Weekend_warrior1999 » Fri May 27, 2016 1:44 am

I actually got into 3d printing because i needed to make custom one off parts for a benchtop mini cnc mill I've been building. And coming from a person with no CAD experience found that FreeCad was the easiest to learn when compared to Autocad 123 or Solidworks. Now just need to find a similar Libre CAM software. Preferrably Linux based.

_OZ_

Post by _OZ_ » Sun May 29, 2016 1:01 am

An LCD controller for the Mini so that I don't have to use my computer when I want to print.

meck

Post by meck » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:54 pm

As a bunch of others have said. Filtered enclosure would be huge for me.

inventabuild

Post by inventabuild » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:53 pm

I'd like to see a "filament out" detector which would pause the printer till I get back home so I don't need to guesstimate if I have enough filament on the spool for a print job.