Dual Extrusion at AOHQ

YMMV...

Dual Extrusion at AOHQ

Postby bam » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:54 pm

Hey Guys

We've been playing around with some of the developing dual extruder modifications, and it's been AWESOME. We're currently working on a redesign of 1013's excellent dual extruder mount (viewtopic.php?f=16&t=145). Stay tuned for a drop in dual extruder kit for your printing pleasure.

Dual extrusion lets you do all kinds of neat things; two-tone parts are just the beginning. You can print with a secondary support material like HIPS that will dissolve away cleanly. You can mount extruders with different size nozzles; allowing you to print with ultra fine detail on the surface while gobbing the infill in at high speed with a second larger diameter noz. People have even printed rudimentary circuits with dual nozzle setups (blog.reprap.org/2012/04/some-more-printed-circuitry.html).

Here are a few images of our dual extruder R&D.
IMG_2301.JPG
The initial testing of 1013's design

IMG_2299.JPG
Mounted on our tester TAZ2.0

IMG_2244.JPG
Mmmm... fan

IMG_2319.JPG
Lulzbot dual extruder version 0.1

What will you use dual extrusion for?

Cheers
-bam
bam
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Re: Dual Extrusion at AOHQ

Postby piercet » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:31 pm

Looks nice! I never considered the different nozzle size aspect. that could come in really handy. Much better than my initial idea of "red licorice filliament in one, chocolate fillaiment in the other" and print candy!

Maybe not the right thread for this question, but I'll ask it here anyways. Have you guys ever considered putting some sort of printer ink cartridge and print head into a 3d printer so you could "paint" it after you make something? The multiple colors got me thinking along those lines.
piercet

Postby adambyram » Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:50 am

This is looking great! I'm really looking forward to picking up one of the dual extrusion kits when you have them ready. The TAZ is great already, but this upgrade will be an excellent addition.
adambyram

Postby bam » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:57 am

piercet wrote:Looks nice! I never considered the different nozzle size aspect. that could come in really handy. Much better than my initial idea of "red licorice filliament in one, chocolate fillaiment in the other" and print candy!

Maybe not the right thread for this question, but I'll ask it here anyways. Have you guys ever considered putting some sort of printer ink cartridge and print head into a 3d printer so you could "paint" it after you make something? The multiple colors got me thinking along those lines.

The candy printer sounds pretty great as well :)

I know it's been brought up, but we haven't really made much progress. Maybe a turret type addition that holds sharpies/paint pens?
hmm...
bam
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Postby bam » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:33 am

Heyo

We've been making some progress on the lulzbot dual extruder. It's now a drop in replacement for the single extruder (you'll need to remove and replace a single M3 bolt, but that's it!). We're toying around with some slick undercarriage ducting for the fan to eliminate oozing, and modifications to the wiring to clean up the appearance.

There are still quite a few tweaks planned, but here are some images (previews came through upside down, but images are flipped when opened in a new tab) and part files if you'd like to follow along.
IMG_2328.JPG
Versions 1 and 2

IMG_2346.JPG
Undercarriage

IMG_2333.JPG
Mounted

Cheers
-bam
Attachments
Extruder Mt Flexure_0.3.stl
This is the center plate that the extruders actually mount to. It's designed to flex between the extruders, allowing easy extruder leveling
(258.38 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Dual Height Adjust_0.4.stl
This is the lower bracket that controls the height of the front extruder
(304.96 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
Dual Extruder Mt_0.2.stl
This is the mount/backplate that holds the dual extruder assembly to the printer
(106.53 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
bam
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Postby 1013 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:29 am

Is that a standard 40mm fan? looks thicker than the one I got from the lulzbot site.

I like the multi-part design. separating the hot end mounting plate from the backing plate should make printing easier.
you certainly took my design to the next level....nice.

Postby piercet » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:43 pm

As a computer guy I can confirm that is not a standard 40mm x 10mm fan. It's either a 40 x 20 or a 40 x 28mm. You can get larger ones from Performance-pcs or similar places.
piercet

Postby bam » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:39 pm

1013 wrote:Is that a standard 40mm fan? looks thicker than the one I got from the lulzbot site.

I like the multi-part design. separating the hot end mounting plate from the backing plate should make printing easier.
you certainly took my design to the next level....nice.

It is a 40x20mm fan, we're currently testing with pla to see if that amount of cooling is necessary to stop oozing, or if we can go with something lighter duty (or possibly no fan at all with enough retraction!)

The design is still in development, but if anyone wants to give it a shot we have the freeCAD source files, stl, gcode, BOM and assembly instructions up at http://devel.lulzbot.com/TAZ/Dual_Extruder-TAZ/

Cheers
-bam
bam
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Postby bam » Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:32 am

Heyo. We've got a new version out, 0.75. We modified the design to accept standard extruders or our new flexystruder, while cutting the weight from 1.46kg (version 0.5) to 0.86kg!

Twin_Noz-V0.75.jpg
Lulzbot Dual Extruder V0.75

More details to come, the Dev files are up on http://devel.lulzbot.com/TAZ/Dual_Extruder-TAZ/ if you'd like to follow along.

Cheers
-bam
Last edited by bam on Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bam
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Postby bam » Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:15 pm

I've been running Version 0.75 for a couple weeks now, and all the major bugs have been worked out. An updated bill of materials and set of assembly instructions have been posted, in addition to the firmware update you'll need.

(here ---> http://devel.lulzbot.com/TAZ/Dual_Extru ... der-V0.75/)

Happy printing, and let me know if you've got specific questions about the build
-bam
bam
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Next

Return to Hardware