Dual Extrusion at AOHQ

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
Andy W

Re: Dual Extrusion at AOHQ

Post by Andy W » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:00 pm

What extruder body did you use for the 0.75 version? The OEM or the 1013 moved motor version?

bam

Post by bam » Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:19 pm

Andy W wrote:What extruder body did you use for the 0.75 version? The OEM or the 1013 moved motor version?
Heyo

I'm using standard greg's wade extruders as well as flyexystruders on the Version 0.75. It looks like there's room for 1013's moved motor version as well, and it should give you a teensy bit more X travel. We went with the std. extruder to keep assembly a bit easier, the m4 nuts used to mount the extruder are pretty inaccessible on the motor moved version when the motor is mounted.

-bam

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:33 pm

The move motor body did not fit. With a dremel I took a few mm from the mount.
And the hobbed bolts are to long. My dremel took care if that too. :mrgreen:

Thanks for sharing the files.
Attachments
image.jpg
Done, but not wired up yet
image.jpg
After cut
image.jpg
Bolts to long
image.jpg
Not pretty, but good for now.
image.jpg
image.jpg

bam

Post by bam » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:08 pm

Andy W wrote:The move motor body did not fit. With a dremel I took a few mm from the mount.
And the hobbed bolts are to long. My dremel took care if that too. :mrgreen:

Thanks for sharing the files.
Nice work!

bam

Post by bam » Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:55 pm

Good news everyone!

We've got a fresh redesign of the Dual Extruder that's easier and just generally better. Take a look at Version 0.9 (we're getting super close to an official release!).

After a few weeks of testing, we found that version 0.75 of the dual extruder tended to drift out of calibration. The main culprit was the 2 point z-leveling system; even a small difference in the height of the 2 leveling screws will start to show up in the print after a few heat cycles.

The new version uses a single centered leveling screw (more like a dial now); and flexes both extruders together, rather than flexing between the extruders. We're super excited about the results, and hope you will be too.

All source and g-code can be found at http://devel.lulzbot.com/TAZ/Dual_Extru ... uder-V0.9/
Close.JPG
Mmmm... up-down dial.
Full.JPG
In the cluster for long term testing in a warm environment
Die.JPG
Die.
Globe.JPG
Pretty soon we'll be printing full size planets.
Cheers
-bam

brouhaha

Post by brouhaha » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:49 pm

Looking good! I can't wait to buy an upgrade for my TAZ 3, so I can try printing ABS with HIPS or PVA support material.

If you start printing full-size planets, watch out for goons from Magrathea.

cdressler

Post by cdressler » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:44 pm

I've previously downloaded the parts for the dual extruder and printed them, but now the link above isn't working anymore and I need the details around instructions, etc. Any ideas what's up with the URL, or is there a new one?

Thanks!

Andy W

Post by Andy W » Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:58 pm

bam

Post by bam » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:09 pm

cdressler wrote:I've previously downloaded the parts for the dual extruder and printed them, but now the link above isn't working anymore and I need the details around instructions, etc. Any ideas what's up with the URL, or is there a new one?

Thanks!
Sorry about that, I changed things up a bit the other day and forgot to update the link.

Assembly instructions are currently in a document here: http://devel.lulzbot.com/TAZ_Accessorie ... tion_docs/

Look for it an an OHAI-KIT in the next week, It should make the assembly a lot clearer

Cheers
-Bam

jebba
Site Admin

Post by jebba » Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:19 pm

Sorry, I moved some stuff around. You can find the TAZ toolheads (Flexystruder and Dual) here:

http://devel.lulzbot.com/TAZ/accessories/