Taz 6 specific Openbuilds X axis

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
piercet

Taz 6 specific Openbuilds X axis

Post by piercet » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:33 pm

I have had a few people ask me if the Openbuilds Rail X axis modification will fit a Taz 6. The answer before now has always been "no" Today however, I am posting the initial alpha revision of the Openbuilds X modification for Taz 6.

Please note that as there are zero Taz 6 printers out of warranty at this point, you should not attempt this mod, or iof you do, keep the old parts and tell no one you did it in order to avoid warranty voiding.

Ok, that out of the way, This is the alpha revision. I haven't even printed these yet, and of particular difficulty for testing, i don't have a stock Taz 6 to try them on, so until resting occurs, please consider these experemental. Pictures first:
picture1.png
picture2.png
The next revision will reduce some of the unnecessary mass in the mid section, the revision after that will add a pin based anti wobble option. This should in theory fit the Taz 5 Openbuilds X rail length, and all of the other Taz 5 Openbuilds X rail pieces will bolt on the same as they do for the Taz 5 variant. The Openbuilds Y axis is already compatable with the Taz out of the box. I'm not intending to make an Openbuilds Z axis for the Taz 6 as there was not very much interest in the Taz 5 variant.

The anti-wobble version will be a modified variant of my existing Taz 5 anti-wobble. instead of the top pins, it will have another floating disk section and steel pins.

These versions should print with no support and only require heat set inserts for the M2 limit switch fittings and the leadscrew mounts.

One change from the Taz 5 version, you will need to tap the upper hole of the ends of the X axis rail. It's the only way to get a 3 point mount easily. This may lead to an allignment pinching issue, but I may have a fix for that later.

I'll probably have the optimized weight variant of this done sometime this weekend. the anti wobble part may take a while longer.

Anyways, here it is, enjoy!
Attachments
Taz6_OpenRail_Idler_Endcap_1_0_a.stl
(310.92 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
Taz6_OpenRail_motor_Endcap_1_0_a.stl
(385.82 KiB) Downloaded 90 times

rival683

Re: Taz 6 specific Openbuilds X axis

Post by rival683 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:30 pm

Hello Piercet,

Great design! but I have a question by looking at the two models, for the Motor endcap will this work with your Motor mount design from the TAZ 5 design? Looking at this how will the motor mount onto this? From your old Motor endcap design piece I see a little indent in the middle facing the back.

piercet

Post by piercet » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:40 pm

rival683 wrote:Hello Piercet,

Great design! but I have a question by looking at the two models, for the Motor endcap will this work with your Motor mount design from the TAZ 5 design? Looking at this how will the motor mount onto this? From your old Motor endcap design piece I see a little indent in the middle facing the back.
Yes, the x motor mount will fit. There is actually more room on that particular dimension than there is on the stock variant, so it doesn't need the support tab like the 5 did. If you do run into any issues with it though, let me know and I'll adjust things as needed for you.

rival683

Post by rival683 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:51 pm

Great! Thanks Piercet! I will have this tested in February after coming back from vacation! I have parts ready, I will post a picture when completed :lol: This will be a direct complete makeover of TAZ 5.

piercet

Post by piercet » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:11 pm

Looking forward to seeing it!

rival683

Post by rival683 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:45 pm

Hello piercet,

Here I am coming back from vacation, I tried out the model for the X-axis and it didn't work, there wasn't enough moving room from right to left so that it can hit the switch and the four washers to autolevel, it was off by around 10mm or so. Also, for the left x axis motor as you can see from the pictures below, the bottom switch tab had to be bent forward more just to hit the x carriage for toggling. As for the right x axis idler the switch on the x carriage doesn't hit the little protrude on the x idler at all, it is off. All pictures are below that shows the problems.
Attachments
xaxisright-2.jpg
xaxisright.jpg
xaxisleft-2.jpg
xaxisleft.jpg

piercet

Post by piercet » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:27 pm

Ok, I see what the issues are. the Taz 6 is 10mm wider than the Taz 5, so my allignment on the part is off by 10mm, and the taz 5 variant has the X max limit switch on the idler block, not on the carriage. I should be able to cut the x motor bolt side mount back 10mm without losing structure, and the Idler side would just be extending the recess for the limit switch out to fit the carriage mounted limit switch instead. i'll get those fixed and posted here shortly.

Edit: how is the fit on the back side X motor mount? any clearance issues there? or with the X carriage backplate?

kmanley57

Post by kmanley57 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:31 pm

The first picture looks to have the Taz 5 X carriage guide instead of the Taz 6 one. That would keep the right switch from hitting correctly.
I will express my CRAZY ideas at any time! So you have been warned. None of my opinions are Lulzbots and can be wrong at any second.

rival683

Post by rival683 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:55 pm

no clearance issues on the backside.

rival683

Post by rival683 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:56 pm

kmanley57 wrote:The first picture looks to have the Taz 5 X carriage guide instead of the Taz 6 one. That would keep the right switch from hitting correctly.

Its TAZ6, there is two layers, the backside looks like TAZ 5 but it is the plate that holds the TAZ 6 Carriage.