Auto-pausing low-filament sensor

anyone make anything like that?

looking for something that will automatically pause a print when the filament is out.
Basically a sensor like this (which is shown on a lulzbot): https://www.amazon.com/Filament-Sensor-Printer-Detector-Monitor/dp/B016C8KSMS/ but instead of just sounding an alarm, it would actually pause the print and possibly also send an E-mail to yourself.

This could be connected to the PC running the printer, instead of the printer itself. Perhaps a seperate arduino.

I think the real question is how do you pause a print in Cura using an external signal. Is there a shortcut key.

I’m working on integrating the tunell one into a Taz, It’s been on the back burner though. https://www.toybuilderlabs.com/products/tunell-3d-printer-filament-monitor

It works as is, I’m just making a better mount and case for it, and integrating it with a fillament width sensor. You can see my thoughts and progress (or lack therof) in the sensor project thread here in the development forum.

I just found this. https://forum.lulzbot.com/t/simple-filament-runout-sensor/3796/4

It is a “Simple filament runout sensor” integrated into the Taz, but does require some minor firmware changes. Not sure if it will work on the mini.

If you use Octoprint, there’s a recent filament sensor plugin which will pause the streaming of gcode.

I just found this. viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4923&p=29374#p29374

It is a “Simple filament runout sensor” integrated into the Taz, but does require some minor firmware changes. Not sure if it will work on the mini.

It won’t work on the mini. Basically you require a press of the LCD knob to unpause the machine after you load in new filament. With no LCD panel that isn’t possible. I also have a mini and would like to add that capability, so I am looking at adding something like wiring in a button to press when you are done. Alternatively, you could wait until you sense that filament is present again, give the user about a minute to finish loading it and start again. Anyway, without a LCD panel, it doesn’t work as it is for a mini.

OK,

so the pausing of the print does not go back to Cura and tell it that the machine is paused…??? There must be some communication back.
or are you talking about printing from SD card only, not hooked to PC?

I’m curious if there is even a hardware plug in the Mini for the sensor switch.

so the pausing of the print does not go back to Cura and tell it that the machine is paused…??? There must be some communication back.
or are you talking about printing from SD card only, not hooked to PC?

I’m curious if there is even a hardware plug in the Mini for the sensor switch.

Filament runout works when run from SD. A small change is needed to Marlin to enable it to function from Cura (viewtopic.php?f=36&t=4923&p=29374#p29374). But when the filament runout happens, the user is alerted on the LCD screen and resumes from the LCD screen. Cura is unaware that anything happened. Communicating the status to Cura and modifying Cura to handle it could be done, but that is beyond me.

There are pins available in the Mini’s miniRambo board, so that isn’t the problem.

Thanks for the info.
I guess the low filament sensor on the mini could be used to restart the process automatically. as long as you paused it in cura first, then you would have plenty of time to change it.

so something like this for the mini:

-sensor is tripped, causing print to pause at the mini. (pop up may happen on Cura, but does not have to)
-when the operator notices, he hits the pause button on cura and manually presses the filament sensor to restart the mini and finish printing what is in the buffer.
-once the buffer is done and the pause command from cura is received, you can change the filament as needed and restart from cura.

basically, the filament sensor would be acting as a momentary pause button, and only pause when it is out of filament. This may be possible with the mini as is.

Thanks for the info.
I guess the low filament sensor on the mini could be used to restart the process automatically. as long as you paused it in cura first, then you would have plenty of time to change it.

so something like this for the mini:

-sensor is tripped, causing print to pause at the mini. (pop up may happen on Cura, but does not have to)
-when the operator notices, he hits the pause button on cura and manually presses the filament sensor to restart the mini and finish printing what is in the buffer.
-once the buffer is done and the pause command from cura is received, you can change the filament as needed and restart from cura.

basically, the filament sensor would be acting as a momentary pause button, and only pause when it is out of filament. This may be possible with the mini as is.

As it is now that won’t work. Once Marlin detects the runout sensor, it performs a backoff sequence. It then ignores any gcode until the LCD panel button is pressed. So resetting the filament sensor switch won’t restart the mini so it can move back to its printing position and accept new commands. I think that code mod could be done fairly easily, but it doesn’t work that way now.