Dual Extruders and the TAZ

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
Orias
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Re: Dual Extruders and the TAZ

Post by Orias » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:53 am

Sweet!

goodeness

Post by goodeness » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:04 pm

Thats really cool, hope to set something like this up. Already have the TAZ but been having all sorts of issues(user?) with it, waiting to get my shop finsihed and get the TAZ to its final location to get her going right.

Shanegt

Post by Shanegt » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:17 pm

Thank you for making the base design of the mount. I just remized it to work with a makerslide mount and will be testing it with 2 budda's. I think the budda is the best nozzle on the market and cant wait to test out the dual setup.
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:247083

Shane

jebba
Site Admin

Post by jebba » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:58 pm

mushoo

Post by mushoo » Fri Nov 07, 2014 3:07 am

Jebba - any idea on when/if you'll have fan accessories for this beastie? I've sort of rolled my own for now, but it's a bit whacky (using a 24v DC blower fan - it's TOO powerful!) And it looks like the firmware doesn't support two fans? Even though the electronics certainly seem to, I can't figure out how to make the second fan active.

Orias
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by Orias » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:47 pm

I've pinged one of our techs to see if the current firmware supports it. Have you tried using the T0/T1 commands to switch between hot ends? Does the command:

Code: Select all

T1
M106
T0
M106
turn on both fans? They'd need to be plugged into the E0 and E1 fan connector.

mushoo

Post by mushoo » Fri Nov 07, 2014 1:54 pm

@Orias - nope. The fan connected to T0 (the extruder cabling that shipped with the TAZ4) activates, but T1's fan does nothing. There's an extremely tiny chance that I built my cable wrong, but everything else on it works fine so I doubt it. If your tech confirms that the firmware should work I'll see what happens when I swap the cables around...

bam

Post by bam » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:03 pm

mushoo wrote:@Orias - nope. The fan connected to T0 (the extruder cabling that shipped with the TAZ4) activates, but T1's fan does nothing. There's an extremely tiny chance that I built my cable wrong, but everything else on it works fine so I doubt it. If your tech confirms that the firmware should work I'll see what happens when I swap the cables around...
Heyo!

Looks like dual fan control isn't in the firmware, I'll get a version with dual fan control put together and throw it up here tonight or tomorrow depending on how long it takes. You'll have a few options as to how to run them in configuration.adv, so you'll be able to use them as heatsink fans, extrusion fans or a combination :)

Cheers
-bam

mushoo

Post by mushoo » Fri Nov 07, 2014 2:09 pm

Great, thanks Bam! Now I have to decide if I should use them as extruder fans or run both heatsink fans (I'm using E3DV6's) from one fan output...

Actually, random question. I haven't dug too deeply into the firmware or the electronics hardware - I'm relatively sure there's GPIO pins somewhere. I have a bunch of spare microcontrollers, is there an easy-ish (I'm perfectly happy coding things myself, if I know where to look) way to pull a pin high when the nozzle heat is above a certain temp, and low when it isn't? I'd probably want two of them, one for each nozzle, at 5v or 3.3v, and then I'll run a pair of relays out either directly from the pins or from my own microcrontroller.

antfurn

Post by antfurn » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:48 am

That functionality is already in the latest Marlin firmware.
I have 3 independently controlled fans on my dual extruder AO-101. One each for the heatsinks and one nozzle ducted fan.
The hotend heatsink fans are configured in Marlin to come on when the hotend is above 120°C.
The print cooling ducted fan is controlled by slicer as before.

The later Rambo boards have the electronics to control 3 fans AFAIK. But the early Rambo in the AO-101 only has two. I've used the extra PWM GPIO pins to control a MOSFET for the 3rd fan. So I've got to know the Marlin firmware and Rambo electronics quite well I've the last few months.