Active mass dampers for x or y axis?

I’m considering adding a sliding mass dampers to my x or y axis to try and increase my high speed print ability. The x axis mass would be pretty constant throughout the print, y would grow as the print goes, but I’m thinking compensating for the bed mass would at least theoretically help.

My initial thought Is a 3rd slide of some sort, with a dense tungsten weight tied to the opposite direction leg of the belt. It would double the mass on the stepper and the belt, but larger belts and pulleys and larger steppers are feasible. Maybe a spring in line with the weight to prevent startup shock? The other thought is a rotary damper on the back end of the stepper.

Any thoughts? Is this a viable approach or just adding mass to a system that won’t benefit it?

I’m only familiar with tuned mass dampers from a few engineering videos that I’ve watched, but my gut says that they’d only be useful for reducing vibration in fixed structures, the frame for example. If there is some theoretical benefit to a system like this you probably would need to beef up the power transmission system quite a bit to handle the extra weight.

I’ve always liked the idea of encoder feedback loops for increased control.

In my opinion adding weight is going to be counter productive. In a closed loop system likes we have here, I don’t think.you will be offsetting anything, rather just adding mass that the system has to overcome. Tuned mass dampers are used to prevent unwanted motion through inertia. We want the opposite of that which we can only achieve with weight reduction.

Piercet, why not move some mass to a location on the other side of the x rails? I am thinking about the stepper motor. I know ir would screw up mounting the extruder, but my ex Makerbot mini had a mechanical coupling so the motor could stay with the x axis drive and the removable extruder could be on the other side, thus at least partially reducing acceleration torque on the extruder assy and reducing the number of cable contacts to boot.
Pete

Moving the motor to the back would require a fairly significant redesign. But it might be an avenue to look at. My nova pro mk2 extruder is about the same weight as the e3d titan arrow setup, so that should help. I do wish I could find a half height mega torque motor though heh.

I think my plan for now will be reinforced damper pad mounted base with a heavy surface, floor bolted, cross braced and with its own inertial damper mounted under the surface. Then the 3d printer itself mounted to the surface with vibration damping pads. Couple that with the back brace mod (in progress) , extended side and top panels, and maybe a z axis counterweight to reduce leadscrew load. And see what I get from that.