Taz 5 + BLTouch [Project]

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
Menissalt

Re: Taz 5 + BLTouch [Project]

Post by Menissalt » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:21 am

kmanley57 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:43 pm
I use a PAD-11 to crimp connector pins but I have done lots of pins with it.
Thanks for the suggestion, I've added it to the OP

piercet

Post by piercet » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:10 am

kmanley57 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:43 pm
I use a PAD-11 to crimp connector pins but I have done lots of pins with it.
That looks much less annoying to use than the one I have now. I ordered the Pa-09 to try first since it does the smaller wires that I need for my LED strip rebuild, will probably bring in a Pad-11 if that works well. I need to figure out which is the smaller of the plates available for it though.

kmanley57

Post by kmanley57 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:19 am

piercet wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:10 am
That looks much less annoying to use than the one I have now. I ordered the Pa-09 to try first since it does the smaller wires that I need for my LED strip rebuild, will probably bring in a Pad-11 if that works well. I need to figure out which is the smaller of the plates available for it though.
Well I use a PAD-10 handle with the PAD-11S which is the Small pins die, but the P-09 is for the micro open barrel connectors if you are using those. It takes a little skill to use to crimp the pins right. Which I do not have. :oops:
I will express my CRAZY ideas at any time! So you have been warned. None of my opinions are Lulzbots and can be wrong at any second.

piercet

Post by piercet » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:07 pm

kmanley57 wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:19 am
piercet wrote:
Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:10 am
Well I use a PAD-10 handle with the PAD-11S which is the Small pins die, but the P-09 is for the micro open barrel connectors if you are using those. It takes a little skill to use to crimp the pins right. Which I do not have. :oops:
Ok you convinced me. I grabbed one of them as well. I'm horrible at crimping pins, but I blame at least part of that on my current crimp tool, which is terrible. I also grabbed one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X9 ... UTF8&psc=1 which was reccommended on the same page, and only $15, for crimping round barrel connectors.

One of my near future plans is redoing the entire wire loom for my main Taz to eliminate all the extensions that currently exist in the X-Z cable chain, and to add in all the Taz 6 wiring changes except the leveling (ferrules, additional grounding, etc. ) So that may also come in handy.

kmanley57

Post by kmanley57 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:25 am

Well I currently have it printing out a tree frog, and just need to tweak the Z-Offset a little more then it looks to be working OK!

Had to put an ~2.3 MM spacer between the BL touch and the mount to get my BL touch smart to not push the bed down during homing operation. Otherwise I seem to have it working.
I will express my CRAZY ideas at any time! So you have been warned. None of my opinions are Lulzbots and can be wrong at any second.

Menissalt

Post by Menissalt » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:03 pm

kmanley57 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:25 am
Well I currently have it printing out a tree frog, and just need to tweak the Z-Offset a little more then it looks to be working OK!

Had to put an ~2.3 MM spacer between the BL touch and the mount to get my BL touch smart to not push the bed down during homing operation. Otherwise I seem to have it working.
I currently use a 1mm spacer, originally I had a 2.1 mm spacer but that pushed the offset limits in the firmware. I've updated the file on Thingiverse to be 1.1mm longer.

kmanley57

Post by kmanley57 » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:32 pm

My current offset is -0.3 nowhere near the -2.0 limit.

i will have to print the new part and see how it works. I think my BL touch smart is shorter than yours.

Menissalt

Post by Menissalt » Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:44 pm

kmanley57 wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:32 pm
My current offset is -0.3 nowhere near the -2.0 limit.

i will have to print the new part and see how it works. I think my BL touch smart is shorter than yours.
That's actually a good point, the BLTouch can be adjusted to engage closer or further. From the factory mine was adjusted all the way down (so it reacts sooner) and I just didn't change it. There's a hex screw on the top, tighten it to make it engage sooner and loosen it to make it engage later.

Since this is very important I've added it the the OP now, even though the rest of Z calibration instructions are on pause.

Menissalt

Post by Menissalt » Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:26 pm

Updated OP.

After many print issues I figured out that the motors weren't really capable of making frequent small back and forth changes. Motions like these are a necessity for printing using auto leveling. The motors would make noise, try to move, but not actually move when tiny motions were needed. This only happened in certain scenarios and would create a big mess when it did happen so I decided to upgrade the fairly weak motors to the nicer motors used on the taz 6. So far the issues seem to have been resolved.

kmanley57

Post by kmanley57 » Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:16 pm

Menissalt wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:26 pm
limit the maz sp
Updated OP.

After many print issues I figured out that the motors weren't really capable of making frequent small back and forth changes. Motions like these are a necessity for printing using auto leveling. The motors would make noise, try to move, but not actually move when tiny motions were needed. This only happened in certain scenarios and would create a big mess when it did happen so I decided to upgrade the fairly weak motors to the nicer motors used on the taz 6. So far the issues seem to have been resolved.
Glad to say I did not have this issue yet, but I do set default max step rates for the motors. The leveling has worked so far perfectly for the about 100 prints I have done so far.