New Aerostruder Micro tool head?

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
zachah
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Re: New Aerostruder Micro tool head?

Post by zachah » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:05 pm

Generally the slower you print the lower you will want the temperature.

Since the SL tool-head is putting filament a lot slower because of the smaller nozzle size this makes the ideal printing temperature lower than a standard tool-head.

With the filament not sticking to the bed, did you update your Z-offset when you flashed the printer?

DCWGeoff

Post by DCWGeoff » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:54 am

zachah wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:05 pm
Generally the slower you print the lower you will want the temperature.

Since the SL tool-head is putting filament a lot slower because of the smaller nozzle size this makes the ideal printing temperature lower than a standard tool-head.

With the filament not sticking to the bed, did you update your Z-offset when you flashed the printer?
Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense, and I know LulzBot team does a massive amount of testing to generate these profiles.

I should have mentioned in my prior post two variables that may be influencing these results: I am printing with Verbatim PLA, not PolyLite, and I got rid of the PEI sheet last year and print directly onto Elmer's Disappearing Purple Glue Stick over glass. Maybe the Verbatim PLA is less tolerant of the lower printing temp, and Glue Stick may also require a higher temp than raw PEI.

I did update the Z-Offset, and further, I fine tuned it using a pattern of six 10mm x .5mm discs in a 3 x 3 grid spaced 30mm apart, printed one at a time. That allows me to adjust the Z-Offset between each just a little at a time while taking notes on a sheet of paper. After printing, I mark the print sequence on each disc, pop them off the bed, and take a look at the first layer quality under magnification. In this case, I ended up with the best first layer at -1.29 Z-Offset: cleanly visible extrusion lines with an acceptable adherence flat, yet not so ironed down to the point of merging with adjacent lines.

As a side note, I've put labels on my print heads to remind me to update firmware, run the M502/M500 commands, set Z-Offset (to my tried-and-true tunings), and for the original Single Extruder, set the E-Steps.

One last observation - I'm surprised the TAZ 6 Universal Adapter Plate doesn't include an X-Axis End Stop switch.

Brent.I
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Post by Brent.I » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:23 pm

DCWGeoff wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:20 pm
and the extruder skipping
We have been chasing this one down the past couple of weeks, and we found we had an improper motor current called out on the extruder in the firmware. We now have marlin 1.1.9.34 available in Cura LE 3.6.3. From our testing this modified current fixed up the skipping issues. We are still in Beta with 3.6.3, but if testing goes well this week we will release next week. You can try it out here if you like: http://devel.lulzbot.com/software/cura-lulzbot/
DCWGeoff wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:54 am
I am printing with Verbatim PLA, not PolyLite
Ahh this could be the difference! Each vendors specific blend of PLA has slightly different thermal properties. We did not do any testing with Verbatim PLA, as we didn't quite have the bandwidth to get every blend tested and verified.
DCWGeoff wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:54 am
I'm surprised the TAZ 6 Universal Adapter Plate doesn't include an X-Axis End Stop switch.
With Marlin 1.1.9.x we require the user to home the printer before movement will be allowed. There is then a software max travel position we use to limit travel, so the X max switch is not required. Have you had any issues with moving the tool head too far?