New Aerostruder Micro tool head?

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
zachah
Aleph Objects | LulzBot
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:20 am

Re: New Aerostruder Micro tool head?

Post by zachah » Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:05 pm

Generally the slower you print the lower you will want the temperature.

Since the SL tool-head is putting filament a lot slower because of the smaller nozzle size this makes the ideal printing temperature lower than a standard tool-head.

With the filament not sticking to the bed, did you update your Z-offset when you flashed the printer?

DCWGeoff
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:52 pm

Re: New Aerostruder Micro tool head?

Post by DCWGeoff » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:54 am

zachah wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 4:05 pm
Generally the slower you print the lower you will want the temperature.

Since the SL tool-head is putting filament a lot slower because of the smaller nozzle size this makes the ideal printing temperature lower than a standard tool-head.

With the filament not sticking to the bed, did you update your Z-offset when you flashed the printer?
Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense, and I know LulzBot team does a massive amount of testing to generate these profiles.

I should have mentioned in my prior post two variables that may be influencing these results: I am printing with Verbatim PLA, not PolyLite, and I got rid of the PEI sheet last year and print directly onto Elmer's Disappearing Purple Glue Stick over glass. Maybe the Verbatim PLA is less tolerant of the lower printing temp, and Glue Stick may also require a higher temp than raw PEI.

I did update the Z-Offset, and further, I fine tuned it using a pattern of six 10mm x .5mm discs in a 3 x 3 grid spaced 30mm apart, printed one at a time. That allows me to adjust the Z-Offset between each just a little at a time while taking notes on a sheet of paper. After printing, I mark the print sequence on each disc, pop them off the bed, and take a look at the first layer quality under magnification. In this case, I ended up with the best first layer at -1.29 Z-Offset: cleanly visible extrusion lines with an acceptable adherence flat, yet not so ironed down to the point of merging with adjacent lines.

As a side note, I've put labels on my print heads to remind me to update firmware, run the M502/M500 commands, set Z-Offset (to my tried-and-true tunings), and for the original Single Extruder, set the E-Steps.

One last observation - I'm surprised the TAZ 6 Universal Adapter Plate doesn't include an X-Axis End Stop switch.

Post Reply