Backlash Compensation on TAZ 6 and/or Mini

I read the article about the backlash compensation on the new TAZ Pro and TAZ Workhorse and that got me thinking. The current version of firmware on the TAZ 6 has backlash compensation on Z and it looks like the additional piece needed to do X and Y is fairly simple. Would it be possible to add X and Y to the TAZ 6 (and Mini)?

I’m in agreement…

the “calibration cube” feature, for backlash control, seems an ideal upgrade for Taz 6 etc

Advanced users can mimic the same kind of functionality by using a long, conductive screw in the same location as the calibration cube. It’ll need some firmware tweaks as well. We don’t currently have plans to offer the machined calibration cube at this time, but if there’s enough demand we’ll consider it.

If you do add this to your TAZ, we’d love to watch your progress!

I agree that this would be a valuable upgrade to the 6!

Bunp. I would be very interested in such an upgrade. Trying to decide if I want to upgrade my 2017 tax 6 or go with some other manufacturer. new flexible bed, new tool head(s), etc.

Do you mind if I ask why the Taz Workhorse or Taz Pro with Octograb are not being considered for your next machine?

Cost primarily. The printer is primarily used for hobby purposes. I can afford a new printer but am trying to be more finaancially responsible.

Just trying to justify to myself the cost of upgrading the bed and a new tool head or 2.

Also a little concerned about investing in more upgrades when I am not sure about the long term viability of the company. I thought that when the original company was in trouble I was going to be left with a paperweight.

Addressing the cost issue, sales@lulzbot.com would love to work with you to get the best deal possible and in the past have offered trade-in credits for existing LulzBot machines. If the TAZ Pro or TAZ Workhorse are not for you we have also released the TAZ SideKick line of printers which are the most affordable LulzBot 3D Printers to date. If you want to look at all the options available to you on the TAZ SideKick ( LulzBot ).

For the future of the company, FAME3D is continuing to invest in the people that work here and are actively hiring more people. FAME3D took over the company to continue and improve the LulzBot legacy.

If you loved your TAZ 6, then you will enjoy all of the improvements on our next generation of 3D Printers

1 Like