Taz 2 evolved to 4

Want to use the Open Source Hardware documentation to make your LulzBot 3D Printer do even more? Start here!
Orias
Aleph Objects | LulzBot

Re: Taz 2 evolved to 4

Post by Orias » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:15 pm

They can be machined, or you can take the FreeCAD models here and export them as printable STL files. They are available as STL files here as well, or in the parent directory: http://devel.lulzbot.com/TAZ/Guava/prod ... _printers/

2con

Post by 2con » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:57 pm

Were they made of aluminum to add significant rigidity to the system? Is there any downfalls to printing these parts, therefore, why didn't lulzbot have them printed?

Which sub-category is the STL located because I looked through that list heavily before looking in the other source folders for a PDF.
2con
Taz 2 since crowdfunding 2013
-complete upgrade to Taz 6, swing-arm auto leveling, anti-z wobble installed, hardened steel rods with all linear bearings, vibration dampers, auto cleaning, hexagonal noz upgrade
To do:
-Cable carriers

joshw

Post by joshw » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:22 pm

I actually asked Lulzbot about this a while ago via email as I'm building my own TAZ. I was asking whether they'd be willing to sell me a set of the TAZ 4 aluminum parts. They responded:
Unfortunately we will not be able to sell you those parts. The only parts of those that we have here are designated for our production runs. The only good news I have for you, is that the x end plates that are printed are just as good as the aluminum ones. We stopped printing the end plates just due to production/time constraints.
So what I ended up doing was printing x end plates. They seem reasonably sturdy but I don't have my whole printer together yet, so I can't say for sure that they work without any flexing. For the y-axis ends, I was unable to print them on my current printer (build area is too small) so I ended up making these out of aluminum using a jigsaw, drill and a hand file. It took quite a bit of work but I think they turned out ok. If my build area were big enough I'd probably have tried printing some first.

nopick

Post by nopick » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:10 pm

Thanks for the responses about the end plates. I thought I was going to see a roadblock in my upgrade plans. :shock:

unxetas

Post by unxetas » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:59 pm

Nopick - there's an STL here:

http://devel.lulzbot.com/TAZ/Guava/prod ... d_concept/

It's called X_end_plate.. :)

Looks like the STL already has the proper sizes to allow for the heat-set brass inserts but you might want to double check that!

nopick

Post by nopick » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:18 am

Great! Thanks.

2con

Post by 2con » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:59 am

Thanks guys! This is almost bad news to me because i've generally "put the order in" for some custom made X_End Plates.. Oh well, stiffer machine...
-complete upgrade to Taz 6, swing-arm auto leveling, anti-z wobble installed, hardened steel rods with all linear bearings, vibration dampers, auto cleaning, hexagonal noz upgrade
To do:
-Cable carriers

2con

Post by 2con » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:23 am

Unextas suggested a great idea, if your doing this upgrade(or plan to also upgrade for auto level and dualies), switch your IGUS bushings with lmu10uu bearings. Find them on eBay for a decent price!(not sure of china quality :?: )
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=IG ... u&_sacat=0
To do:
-Cable carriers

nopick

Post by nopick » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:39 pm

Those bearings will groove the stock shafts. I had to remove mine.

2con

Post by 2con » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:54 pm

Good to know! What is a better choice?
Last edited by 2con on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To do:
-Cable carriers